Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

This was another change that imploded around here- you have to get a form from guest services and submit it after you've disembarked if you want to adjust the service charge for any reason. I've read that the wait can be substantial.

But you will get a check back and the added bonus is you do t need to deal with the clueless guest services people onboard

Del Rio wants to get rid of the budget minded cruiser and attract cruisers that won't think twice about dropping $60-70 on a case of water. Every change that has been made has been made with that goal in mind (IMHO of course).

The thing is that almost everyone who is cruising on NCL is going to be aware that the retail cost of that $60-70 case of water is about $5. As wealthy as I'm sure some people who post here and cruise on NCL may be (and I realize that some of the wealthiest may be those "budget-minded" folks who sail in insides because it's the trip and not the room that's important to them), I suspect most of them still do their own grocery shopping.

And no one -- not even people who don't have to think twice about that $60-70 -- likes to feel taken advantage of. I really wonder if the bad will that this is generating is worth what it would have cost to add bottled water to the UBP.

Since that's the next terminal we are sailing out of , COOL:). Do they sell wine? CCL lets us bring a bottle each.

Hola, how cool is that - that duty-free store is inside the terminal building before ship security, where they do the screening of returning (NCL) pax for (sometimes) short stopover (more like a 1/2 day layover). I don't recall port security for PR doing any checking at all - and, there's a CBP office on premises.

Yes, on wine, hard liquor & cigarettes - the last 2 times we're there (CCL in 2013) ... know the retail/US mainland prices before you buy as well as typical "duty-free" prices. Otherwise, there's a full service & well-stocked CVS store, across the street, 2 blocks to the left (away from Senor Frogs ... as your landmark reference) Starbucks, uphill, straight by 1 block is great, free WiFi (and Boingo, Fi Network, T-Mobile, AT&T, VZW ... all home signals).

Back to CVS, it has great and competitive, retail pricing on soda, sports drinks, wine, beer, chips & snacks, OTC meds, etc. - it's one of our favorite stops for provisioning (well, except for one cruiseline hereon with the prohibition) & bringing them back onboard.

However, for NCL runs, just don't count on being able to board the ship from now on with wine purchases in the port - security will hold & store them until last day for disembarkation ... and, not be bothered with collecting the corkage fee. That's strictly my interpretation, however, FWIW.

Your sailing in the Fall should be interesting read with a comparative analysis between NCL now/before and CCL later on.

Enjoy happy hours on the island :D - either way. Prices are best - in general - in St. Thomas - for smoke & booze.

P.S. Enjoy - on the CCL - the complimentary shrimp cocktail in the MDR at no extra charge, lobster tails in the MDR one evening during the sailing; and, petite filet mignon & eggs for breakfast - zero upcharge, all inclusive as part of the DSC. Don't forget to request shareholder's OBC from CCL before sailing, if you also "own" them ... very easy, quick & 100% combinable with other perks, etc.

Del Rio wants to get rid of the budget minded cruiser and attract cruisers that won't think twice about dropping $60-70 on a case of water. Every change that has been made has been made with that goal in mind (IMHO of course).

It's a business not welfare.

The thing is that almost everyone who is cruising on NCL is going to be aware that the retail cost of that $60-70 case of water is about $5. As wealthy as I'm sure some people who post here and cruise on NCL may be (and I realize that some of the wealthiest may be those "budget-minded" folks who sail in insides because it's the trip and not the room that's important to them), I suspect most of them still do their own grocery shopping.

And no one -- not even people who don't have to think twice about that $60-70 -- likes to feel taken advantage of. I really wonder if the bad will that this is generating is worth what it would have cost to add bottled water to the UBP.

I know that and you know that but I'm not sure that Del Rio does.:)

Hola, how cool is that - that duty-free store is inside the terminal building before ship security, where they do the screening of returning (NCL) pax for (sometimes) short stopover (more like a 1/2 day layover). I don't recall port security for PR doing any checking at all - and, there's a CBP office on premises.

Yes, on wine, hard liquor & cigarettes - the last 2 times we're there (CCL in 2013) ... know the retail/US mainland prices before you buy as well as typical "duty-free" prices. Otherwise, there's a full service & well-stocked CVS store, across the street, 2 blocks to the left (away from Senor Frogs ... as your landmark reference) Starbucks, uphill, straight by 1 block is great, free WiFi (and Boingo, Fi Network, T-Mobile, AT&T, VZW ... all home signals).

Back to CVS, it has great and competitive, retail pricing on soda, sports drinks, wine, beer, chips & snacks, OTC meds, etc. - it's one of our favorite stops for provisioning (well, except for one cruiseline hereon with the prohibition) & bringing them back onboard.

However, for NCL runs, just don't count on being able to board the ship from now on with wine purchases in the port - security will hold & store them until last day for disembarkation ... and, not be bothered with collecting the corkage fee. That's strictly my interpretation, however, FWIW.

Your sailing in the Fall should be interesting read with a comparative analysis between NCL now/before and CCL later on.

Enjoy happy hours on the island :D - either way. Prices are best - in general - in St. Thomas - for smoke & booze.

P.S. Enjoy - on the CCL - the complimentary shrimp cocktail in the MDR at no extra charge, lobster tails in the MDR one evening during the sailing; and, petite filet mignon & eggs for breakfast - zero upcharge, all inclusive as part of the DSC. Don't forget to request shareholder's OBC from CCL before sailing, if you also "own" them ... very easy, quick & 100% combinable with other perks, etc.

Thanks for the info!

It's certainly not welfare, not with charging $60-70 for a $5 case of water:eek:.

Not a $5 case of water. Work on researching. The size and qty of the bottles is about $40 retail in the states.

In the end the brilliance of Del Rio's machinations falls apart if the ship isn't full . Can't squeeze an empty cabin for all it's worth .

That is why no NCL for us, they nickle and dime for every thing.
That's what we used to say . And yet we are leaving tomorrow for our Norwegian cruise because the price was so darn cheap ! However with these sneaky moves (plus finding out the " free" Ultimate drink package doesn't even include water or canned soda), we will cruise NCL again , when it's extra cheap . Given these moves , I think the wait won't be too long .

And on, and on, and on.........gotta' love it

With fewer American going to Europe, etc the are going to get every nickle and dime they can from "us" (......you ......because we'll stick with Royal and Celebrity, I only hope they don't start this....)

Thank you for posting this. I was really SHM trying to figure out where they were getting that $5.00 per case.

I would like to know too where they get the $5 24 case of Aquafina 1 liter bottles. If anyone can tell me that would be awesome! But reality is that there is no such thing for that price.

All I know is that not being able to bring my own water bottles is very disappointing. However, i do understand the reasons they had to do this. I think the price they are charging is outrageous. I am traveling with my children who only drink water. I think the price is very high for something you could easily drink 3-4 bottles a day of. My family of 4 could easily go through 16 bottles a day. I won't be ordering water bottles. Instead, we will bring our reusable water bottles. The ship has filtered water and I also have a slim Brita that I have traveled with before. It certainly won't ruin my trip but I'd rather not blow my entire budget on water.

I would like to know too where they get the $5 24 case of Aquafina 1 liter bottles. If anyone can tell me that would be awesome! But reality is that there is no such thing for that price.

Shop rite has 12 1L Aquafina bottles selling at $4.59. It's easy, just google Aquafina 1L bottle 12 pack. It's on page 1.

24 would be $9, not $40. That was without looking very far. Costco's 36 pack of 1/2 liters is under $5.

Target sells 1 liter for $1.02 a bottle

$24.48 for a case

for 16.9 fl oz a case goes for three bucks.

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

Shop rite has 12 1L Aquafina bottles selling at $4.59. It's easy, just google Aquafina 1L bottle 12 pack. It's on page 1.

24 would be $9, not $40. That was without looking very far. Costco's 36 pack of 1/2 liters is under $5.

I'm not seeing any packs of 1L Auqafina at that price. Not even close.

Costco Business' current price for 1L Aquafina is $23 for a 15 pack. Price will vary based on local CRV. That works out to about $1.53 per bottle for me with the California CRV. Costco Business uses a standard, low mark up on all products, so without it being a loss leader, that's about the best price you are going to pay.

NCL's closest size to the 15 pack is the 18 pack of Aquafina 1L bottles, at $49.95, or about $59 with the 18% gratuity. That's about $3.27 per bottle.

So NCL isn't charging ten times as much as I first thought, but about 2.14 times the warehouse club store price. I actually don't think that is too unreasonable. It's probably the mark up on beer, and I know it's the mark up on wine compared to Trader Joe's prices.

All I know is that not being able to bring my own water bottles is very disappointing. However, i do understand the reasons they had to do this. I think the price they are charging is outrageous. I am traveling with my children who only drink water. I think the price is very high for something you could easily drink 3-4 bottles a day of. My family of 4 could easily go through 16 bottles a day. I won't be ordering water bottles. Instead, we will bring our reusable water bottles. The ship has filtered water and I also have a slim Brita that I have traveled with before. It certainly won't ruin my trip but I'd rather not blow my entire budget on water.

Great idea.

can you tell me what that slim Brita is?

Have to prep for my trip on the Spirit Airlines of the seas.

Edited by OV8

I'm not seeing any packs of 1L Auqafina at that price. Not even close.

Costco Business' current price for 1L Aquafina is $23 for a 15 pack. Price will vary based on local CRV. That works out to about $1.53 per bottle for me with the California CRV. Costco Business uses a standard, low mark up on all products, so without it being a loss leader, that's about the best price you are going to pay.

NCL's closest size to the 15 pack is the 18 pack of Aquafina 1L bottles, at $49.95, or about $59 with the 18% gratuity. That's about $3.27 per bottle.

So NCL isn't charging ten times as much as I first thought, but about 2.14 times the warehouse club store price. I actually don't think that is too unreasonable. It's probably the mark up on beer, and I know it's the mark up on wine compared to Trader Joe's prices.

Are you looking at buying online? That would be expensive due to the shipping costs. We can buy a 1.5L bottle loose, for 97cents and that's half a litre more and in USD, it would be 75 cents?

Great idea.

can you tell me what that slim Brita is?

Have to prep for my trip on the Spirit Airlines of the seas.

Slim Brita is a container with filter that is 5 cup capacity - it's smaller and slimmer then the regular size. I got it for my 2 older boys for their college dorm refrigerators - fits perfectly. It should fit in my suite fridge but we normally keep the larger one out on the counter at home so that will be OK too! Going to get a bunch of reusable water bottles from the $1 store (just in case on gets lost) and bring a cook pack bag we have (which folds flat). I'm in the haven so I am sure our butler will have no problem freezing a few of our filled water bottles - this way I can have a few with me on excursion days. Hope this helps.

Not a $5 case of water. Work on researching. The size and qty of the bottles is about $40 retail in the states.

Thank you for posting this. I was really SHM trying to figure out where they were getting that $5.00 per case.

A 12 pack of 1 liter bottles of Aquafina is $47.14 on MyNCL.

A 24 pack of 1/2 liter bottles of Aquafina is $4.99 at Walmart, sometimes they even have it on sale for $3.99. AND they are usually sold as a "bonus pack" with 32 bottles.

So even in the worst case scenario (i.e. not on sale and not the bonus pack) that's literally almost a thousand percent markup. (Unless for some reason, you're making the case that a 1 liter bottle is substantially more valuable than 2 half liter bottles... which would be the exact opposite of how products like that usually work.)

I think most of us would actually be okay with, say, a hundred percent markup. They would probably actually sell quite a few that way.

Edited by EleventyBangBang

Lots of discussion on water. NCL also gouges passengers for wine.

I.E. Our favorite wine on board the ship is Beringer White Zinfandel 750 ML Bottle

Here in our local grocery stores the Beringer White Zinfandel 750ML bottle sells for $5.99 per bottle, on the ship; NCL now has it priced at $28.00

$6.00 for a beer, crazy.

$9.00 to $11.00 for a mixed bar drink, crazy.

18% Gratuity that does not go to the staff, but to the Corporate coffers, crazy.

NCL is strictly out to take your money at unreasonable prices. It pays to get off the ship in port and find a local eatery/bar and have a good time.

I don't mind paying for these items on the ship, but the price needs to be reasonable with a reasonable profit, not an outrageous price gouging to the guests/passengers.

Here in our local grocery stores the Beringer White Zinfandel 750ML bottle sells for $5.99 per bottle, on the ship; NCL now has it priced at $28.00

$6.00 for a beer, crazy.

$9.00 to $11.00 for a mixed bar drink, crazy.

18% Gratuity that does not go to the staff, but to the Corporate coffers, crazy.

NCL is strictly out to take your money at unreasonable prices. It pays to get off the ship in port and find a local eatery/bar and have a good time.

I don't mind paying for these items on the ship, but the price needs to be reasonable with a reasonable profit, not an outrageous price gouging to the guests/passengers.

It seems like some places in the US are much cheaper than Sweden. I look at the prices and think that it's cheap compared to what we pay at a bar or restaurant here. It was many years since I paid as little as $6.00 for a beer and a mixed bar drink normally cost at least $15.

I understand that the new policy is a big issue for many but for me it really doesn't matter much. I never drink bottled water at home so for me it's no problem to drink the tapwater on the ship.