Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Newfun4me, you get unlimited free bottle water and canned soda with an Owners Suite (in room only) so talk to your butler about getting some smaller bottles than the 1L ones.

Thanks! We will!

We ordered the water package for our kids as I believe their room comes with 1 water bottle, but is not replenished.

I think you are looking at a different poster, the post from Zippeedee said they got the email from their TA. I believe it was NW Pacific who said they sent an email on July 7th.

I received a generic email yesterday from my TA (a large online cruise specific one) that announced the change. It was not specific to me or my payment dates in any way. Just a general announcement. I did not call or contact them about the issue because I read all I needed to know here.

I received a generic email yesterday from my TA (a large online cruise specific one) that announced the change. It was not specific to me or my payment dates in any way. Just a general announcement. I did not call or contact them about the issue because I read all I needed to know here.
Sounds like you have a good TA.

NCLStarHawaii2003, please note.

Edited by NLH Arizona

When someone pays thousands for a vacation they do so with the expectation that their wants and needs are going to be met, that's why it's called the hospitality industry. People's wants used to be accommodated by allowing them to bring on their own water and soft drinks if what was offered aboard did not meet their needs. Now people are locked into a take it or leave it mentality by the cruise line. NCL is not longer being run as a hospitality organization- no organization that sees it's customers as a "captive audience" can call itself that.

Good point!

I am also disagreeing with the policy, but have not publicly stated it because it has been said so many times. This is my family's first cruise on this cruise line and I am very disappointed, but WILL not let it hinder my first and last cruise with NCL.

I would love to be a fly on the wall this week as passengers embark with their drinks in hand only to hear of the policy upon arrival.

Think of the cases of water/soda they need to dump at the dock!

(That, or go back and find their car - or take a shuttle - or ship it home if they flew - as they get to the dock!)

:eek:

Going in Oct my 2nd NCL had a single balcony first cruise and a solo studio this cruise . I had a very healthy bill first cruise because I tried all the dining and no bev pkg and I stayed pretty happy . I don't think I bought or brought a bottled water ! That being said I think this beverage controversy shows what really matters to Norwegian . I won't say I'm never cruising on No Cash Left again but I will check other lines first just because of their method of rolling out these changes .

i agree as soon as my certificates are gone will be looking elsewhere the all inclusive shore resorts have been trying for new buss this mat just be it.

just an fyi...I spoke to someone very nice in the CruiseNext department at NCL and they refunded my two certificates...both past the 30 day window.

Going in Oct my 2nd NCL had a single balcony first cruise and a solo studio this cruise . I had a very healthy bill first cruise because I tried all the dining and no bev pkg and I stayed pretty happy . I don't think I bought or brought a bottled water ! That being said I think this beverage controversy shows what really matters to Norwegian . I won't say I'm never cruising on No Cash Left again but I will check other lines first just because of their method of rolling out these changes .

No Cash Left cruise line hahaha

When someone pays thousands for a vacation they do so with the expectation that their wants and needs are going to be met, that's why it's called the hospitality industry. People's wants used to be accommodated by allowing them to bring on their own water and soft drinks if what was offered aboard did not meet their needs. Now people are locked into a take it or leave it mentality by the cruise line. NCL is not longer being run as a hospitality organization- no organization that sees it's customers as a "captive audience" can call itself that.

Comparing NCL to a hotel disregards the fact that it's a moving vessel. Compare it instead to an airline. That's a highly competitive industry where passengers are also a captive audience - even moreso than on a ship, where they can disembark before the itinerary is complete.

On Air Canada, the selection of movies isn't as good as it once was, they no longer accept cash for onboard purchases (you must use a credit card), and there are definite markups on the price of the onboard food selection.

Not only do they not ALLOW you to drink your own alcohol (they have some for sale), but it's actually against the law for you to do so.

In fact, it's entirely possible that the price of the onboard food has changed since I booked my ticket (non-refundable).

That is almost entirely the same scenario as a cruiseship. Yes, the length of trip is different, but that's not relevant in the comparison. You are in fact a captive audience for the during of their hospitality.

Stephen

Comparing NCL to a hotel disregards the fact that it's a moving vessel. Compare it instead to an airline. That's a highly competitive industry where passengers are also a captive audience - even moreso than on a ship, where they can disembark before the itinerary is complete.

On Air Canada, the selection of movies isn't as good as it once was, they no longer accept cash for onboard purchases (you must use a credit card), and there are definite markups on the price of the onboard food selection.

Not only do they not ALLOW you to drink your own alcohol (they have some for sale), but it's actually against the law for you to do so.

In fact, it's entirely possible that the price of the onboard food has changed since I booked my ticket (non-refundable).

That is almost entirely the same scenario as a cruiseship. Yes, the length of trip is different, but that's not relevant in the comparison. You are in fact a captive audience for the during of their hospitality.

Stephen

But airlines will let you bring your soda of choice, bottled water & your own food. You can't smoke on a plane, but you can on a ship. There is no other cruise line or airline policy that is as restrictive as NCL's. When I pick an airline, I'm more concerned with their baggage fees & on time rating than I am about what drinks they serve, since I can get my Tim Horton's or unsweetened ice tea before I get on the plane.

Stephen

You sleep perhaps 3 hours in a plane...

You settle in on a ship

Better to compare it to an AI resort not a plane ride

Stephen

No, airlines are in the transportation industry, cruise lines are in the hospitality industry. The primary purpose of each is vastly different and it's the primary purpose that dictates which industry they fit in (after all you can watch a movie on a plane but that doesn't mean that the airline is in the entertainment industry).