Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Stop with the "hotel" comparison already.

Did you even read my post. No where in the post did I mention anything about bringing anything into any of the venues I mentioned. My post had to do with people continually saying that NCL should sell both products and pointed out that other venues don't sell both products either.

I drink Diet Coke and if I can't live without it for a week or can't drink Pepsi as an alternative, then I would cruise on Celebrity, since that is what they serve, but fortunately I can also drink water, iced tea, lemonade, etc., so I will continue to sail on NCL (without having an issue with their new policy), as well as on Celebrity and Crystal.

If someone has an issue with the UBP perk costing them gratuities, they should pick another perk. I'd bet most pick the UBP and SDP and have no issues, since many would have tipped anyway if the gratuities were not charged to them.

That's exactly what I'm saying! The choice is everyone's own.

If pax can't adjust to being without x,y,z water/soda for 1 week, pick a vacation where they can have it that way.

If pax can't adjust to being without x,y,z water/soda for 1 week, pick a vacation where they can have it that way.

Many of us are doing precisely that.

The REAL unfortunate thing is those for whom it was too late to cancel without losing money, after the announcement was made.

Fortunately, we are not among that group, but just barely.

We had time to cancel a couple of cruises and get our full deposits back.

NCL could have so easily avoided this.

That's the biggest problem with their customer "service".

But wait, there's more... they are apparently notifying most people (of those they notify at all!) *after* their penalty phase kicks in.

REALLY, NCL?

Thanks. That was interesting.

I knew about the discounts/etc., for using one or the other, but I didn't realize about the equipment issues.

Now I'm trying to think if any *large* venues do actually sell both products.

That is, if they have the room for two fountain setups?

Or... what about any establishment selling "the other product" in cans or bottles only? I suppose that would violate the contract anyway.

It's just annoying (and worse) to be stuck at sea for several days (overnight is bad enough; some of us have a Diet Coke while spouse has a coffee each morning!) without *the* beverage of choice.

Imagine if a cruise line offered only tea, and not coffee?

Don't laugh.

For some of us, the taste difference is really significant.

I've spent my entire life with "friends" trying to trick me, giving me Pepsi, and I barely take the first sip, and glare at them...

I've even been "tricked" with "Rum & Coke", and it didn't fool me there, either.

Maybe it's something genetic in one of the flavor ingredients, like that 10th grade biology class experiment of "some of the students taste a substance as very bitter, and some taste nothing at all"?

Thanks again for the information that at least clarifies how "thee system" works.

it's really like internet companies, in terms of monopolies and contracts, and rules against having both, how Coke or pepsi doesn't want both to be served and is probably in the fine print somewhere, etc.

Another interesting fact, certain soft drinks, like Dr. Pepper/Snapple Company, are independent, and can be served with Pepsi OR Coke products and I think there are a few others that are also independent. I am pretty positive NCL doesn't have Dr. Pepper tho, maybe Mr. Pibb, which is a POOR substitute.

For the record, I hate pepsi products and prefer Coke products, but I so rarely drink soda anymore, it doesn't effect me, but I agree with people who say rum and pepsi is not the same as rum and coke. Coke is just a different kind of sweet that *really* tastes better with rum.

anyhow, I hope they do end up switching to Coke products, because the new Freestyle Coke machines are actually cheaper than the old way of doing soft drinks, because of the concentrated syrup cartridges it uses. We had one at the restaurant where I worked, and I can tell you for a FACT, one large soda including the plastic cup, was a .01 cent cost for the restaurant, and most of that cost was for the plastic cup, not for the cartridges/co2

They shouldn't have to adjust, that's the whole point.

I've always questioned why they allow anything other than wine, with a corkage fee, to be brought on their ships and I bet you can imagine how I got flamed when I mentioned it. Onboard spending is a substantial amount of their revenue stream and to allow folks to bring on Coke (and I've seen people bringing on Pepsi products as well), doesn't help with that revenue stream and then they raise the prices to all of us, because every business has a budget that they have to reach....I really don't want to pay more because someone wants to bring Coke or Pepsi onboard. I wasn't going to say anything about not bring them to other venus, but will say that if someone can't live without a Coke for a week, there are other cruise lines (Celebrity) who sell only Coke products.

The fact that NCL has to resort to this to protect their revenue stream is very telling. Other cruise lines accommodate their customers and to many that is more important than what particular product is being served.

The fact that NCL has to resort to this to protect their revenue stream is very telling. Other cruise lines accommodate their customers and to many that is more important than what particular product is being served.
Keep in mind, that was my opinion. If you want to know NCL's, as far as why they initiated the policy, you will have to contact them. Yes, others allow non-alcoholic items brought on board...that is what is great about choices, you can choose the cruise line that best suits what you want in a cruise.

Keep in mind, that was my opinion. If you want to know NCL's, as far as why they initiated the policy, you will have to contact them. Yes, others allow non-alcoholic items brought on board...that is what is great about choices, you can choose the cruise line that best suits what you want in a cruise.

I realize that it is your opinion and I happen to share it- NCL is doing this to try to boost onboard revenue. Unfortunately it will probably backfire on them. I used to buy a bottle of rum to have in the room and bring some Coke as a mixer. Now we'd skip the bottle and stick to the complimentary beverages.

Where's all the photos of unhappy and disruptive guests attempting to check in at the piers this weekend with all their cases of water and Coke products? I seem to have missed those posts.

I was wondering the same thing. I think we have a vocal few on this thread and many more are going with the flow and finding alternatives to their bottled water and precious coke products.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Most people now have the UBP, and for free, which includes your sodas. Granted that doesn't cover water, but still ... we carried water onboard once. It was a hassle, and I personally would rather just buy it onboard.

how about we shoot for a little accuracy. ubp is not free. 18 percent gratuity must be paid.

You are correct it's not free, but people complaining about the 18% gratuity they pay is petty.

Where can one go and drink for 94 for a week? That is where people need the reality check.

4 beers. 94 dollars. yea :confused::confused:

Edited by Computer Nerd

how about we shoot for a little accuracy. ubp is not free. 18 percent gratuity must be paid.

Not always - its free for us -our service charge is included -nothing to pay! With the dollar being strong against the £ - maybe its time for USAers to start booking with a UK agent - that WOULD be a first!

Not always - its free for us -our service charge is included -nothing to pay! With the dollar being strong against the £ - maybe its time for USAers to start booking with a UK agent - that WOULD be a first!

is this actually possible? I wonder if it comes out cheaper that way for US citizens.

is this actually possible? I wonder if it comes out cheaper that way for US citizens.

I have no idea - but I do know there are UK folks who somehow find a way to buy via the US -

You also need travel insurance - that's a legal requirement here -

ask around - am sure you will find various answers - or email the big High Street "Thomas cook" travel agent- ask them ...

You can fill your water bottles from your bathroom sink. You can fill your water bottle by using the melted ice from your ice bucket.

Harriet

Thank you for the good idea Harriet....you have been so very helpful. Especially trying to help those out with disabilities. Kind and considerate...just the type of people I like to see on here. Send me any more good tips you might have. The melted ice was the best!!!

Top of the day to you!

Mary

I'm sure NCL has adjusted prices to make sure that they come out on the better side of the currency trade. Even if it's sometimes cheaper for customers in Europe to buy in dollars vs. Euro or pounds, I'd have to believe that there's enough at stake for NCL to monitor purchases in foreign currency by Americans and raise the Euor or pound price to work out to roughly the same amount in dollars.

I really don't understand why folks keep bringing up that NCL should sell both Pepsi and Coke products, especially since it has been explained many times on this thread. Have they ever been on a cruise ship that sells both? Have they ever been to a restaurant that sells both? Have they ever been to a hotel that sells both? Have they every been to a sporting arena that sells both? Have they ever been to an amusement park that sells both? No, because the businesses enter into a contract with one of the distributors to only sell their product, which gives them a lower price......happens every where. I'm sure that if NCL were to drop their contact to sell Pepsi only and then sell both products, we would be paying $6.00 for a glass of soda, because neither distributor would give them a decent price.

It's pop. If the pop at ANY place or venue is a deal-breaker for someone they need to re-evaluate their life.

It's pop. It's not like is something that is actually important. Like beer.

In my opinion, the most harmful consequence of this policy is that many more guests will be filling bottles of water at the buffet stations which are not properly equipped for this. The consequences will be as follows:

1) long, very long lines at the water stations, and

2) increased risk of spreading disease.

I guess Norwegian is willing to take the risks involved with their new policy since their prices for bottled water are so outrageous. Me thinks Carnival has taken hold of these risks and, therefore, greatly reduced the price of bottled water they sell. Makes sence to avoid spreading disease.

Too bad NCL isn't as savy! ;)