How much did you all spend?

mayamiyazono

Year: 2016 Ship: Ruby Princess Trip: 7 week Alaska Guest: 2 Room: Balcony Ship expenses: 3k Overall vacation expenses 4k (Taxi, parking, tipping, gas etc) posting this because i feel like if you want others or know others who are curious about going a cruise which a MUST i think its great if they know how much to save for or expect to spend.

I think you mean "7 day" not "7 week" cruise. ;)

Everyone's expenses will vary greatly, depending on whether they have to fly to port, how far, extra days added on, tours done, photos, drinks, etc. For example, we don't fly, don't drink much, do inexpensive tours, etc. and can do a week round trip from Seattle for 2 people for $2500 - 3000 TOTAL easily. Others choose the nicest suite, helicopter tours, added land tours, etc. and probably spend $20k+. It's really impossible to compare unless you list specific details of your trip.

I've done the Alaska trip twice now, with vastly different overall costs.

2016 - 7 day RT Seattle was about $6k

2010 - 13 day cruisetour was probably $12-13k

Both were trips for 2, with a mini-suite on board the ship.

Interestingly, the base price for this year's 7 day cruise alone was $4700 vs $5800 for the 13 day cruisetour back in 2010. Seemed much easier to find a bargain on the base booking back then. We did a LOT more big excursions (Denali flight/landing, Mendenhall heli hike, Misty Fjords float plane, etc.) on the 2010 trip, which really drove the cost of that one up.

On the other end- :) I had a 4 week trip in 2014- about $10K- cheap NCL cruise less than $1000 for 2. $5000 for 2 nights in Lake Clark, 2 night tour up to Prudhoe.

Rest of touring- 4 Kenai Fjords boat tours, 2 Prince William Sound boat tours. 2 Juneau whale watches, 1 Misty flight, Lake Bennett combo tour.

Activities are what is important to me, I couldn't care less about a ship or cabin. I fly nonrev which is big savings.

I just did a b2b on the Sun in a BX for $2000 the first two weeks of June. Gas, parking and hotel costs to and from Vancouver from San Diego about $600. I booked a week out and I had the change cabins. Did not purchased anything else. I just used the amenities provided to me on the ship and on the shore. I use the city bus for my tours in the ports to go to my favorite sightseeing places. Or I just go to my favorite bars.

I did the same thing last year on a b2b in a IX for less than $1300.

10-day, NCL Pearl Mini Suite for two including spa passes, internet and a couple shore excursions (kayaking and a cooking demo) - around $6800. Other shore excursions (glacier helicopter, zipline and train/bus tour combo), two days of car rental - around $2000. Two hotel nights plus air round trip, transfers plus parking - about another $2100. Ship expenses - $900. General spending money for trinkets, some meals and etc - about $2000. Grand total - in the neighborhood of $14,000. Worth every cent. This was our first cruise every, first time to Alaska and we wanted to do what we wanted to do without pinching pennies. The next time I can see it being a LOT cheaper because many things we did/bought wouldn't be necessary.

Edited by SuperCrewBear

10-day, NCL Pearl Mini Suite for two including spa passes, internet and a couple shore excursions (kayaking and a cooking demo) - around $6800. Other shore excursions (glacier helicopter, zipline and train/bus tour combo), two days of car rental - around $2000. Two hotel nights plus air round trip, transfers plus parking - about another $2100. Ship expenses - $900. General spending money for trinkets, some meals and etc - about $2000. Grand total - in the neighborhood of $14,000. Worth every cent. This was our first cruise every, first time to Alaska and we wanted to do what we wanted to do without pinching pennies. The next time I can see it being a LOT cheaper because many things we did/bought wouldn't be necessary.

Kudos to you. Do it right the first time. Good luck on your future Alaskan cruises.

I have been many Alaskan cruises and i too though my first trip could have been a one and only. I too spent extra money on this, that and the other thing. I wanted to have a memorable experience (which I still have). I then realized that this is what I like to do. Throughout the years I have learned how to save through cruise critic, do without all the paid extras (nickel and dime) and let my imagination be my tour guild.

P.S. It really is cheaper cruising single if your have the flexibility booking a cruise only two weeks out.

Cruise $5214 Canadian dollars for balcony cabin.

Airfare $615 pp from Winnipeg. I am sure the extras will add up quickly. Only booked one excursion so far. White pass rail $160 Canadian pp. Once in a lifetime they say. Some do this every year. I am sure it will be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival Legend July 5, 2016, 8K balcony midship for 3 PAX $4200; first class airfare Detroit/DTW-Seattle/SEA R/T Delta $2400; pre- and post-cruise hotels 3 nts ($500); excursions: Tracy Arm small boat; White Pass train/Bennett Lake Bus combo; not booked for Juneau or Ketchikan, leaning towards Misty Fjords flight, Mendenhall Glacier and Mt. Roberts tram; add meals, tips and souvenirs and this may well be a $10,000 vacation.

Not even counting pre-trip purchases like rain coats, binoculars, and camera. All cruises are an improvement to my wardrobe.

The memories will be priceless. Many thanks to all of you on CC that helped me with the planning.

One cruise to Alaska for DH and me, midship oceanview cabin, we spent

$1800 cruise fare

$500 excursions

$650ish airfare

$100 pre cruise hotel

$50 pre cruise meals

so $3000ish

plus whatever auto tips.... plus some cash for other tipping

That's probably the least we as a couple have spent.

I think the most we've spent for an Alaska cruise was around $11,000 for a 14 day cruise from Seattle. I don't really want to figure it out, though :D

3 Adults, Carnival Legend May 16-24, 2016

total basic ship cost, including mandatory tips: $3700 for extended balcony

extra ship costs (onboard internet and one expensive picture): $75

souvenirs at different places: $200-$250 total

total Alaska excursion costs: Tracy arm small boat, Whale watching twice, Klondike car rental, Duck tour, flightseeing misty fjord: $2100

Airfare and transport to/from ship, including 1 night hotel to fly in a day early for insurance against travel delays; don't want to miss the ship!: $1200

4.5 days in Seattle area with free hotel: about $1200

Camera/optical gear: I stopped counting at $2000, but the trip pictures are worth it

Passports and birth certs: $500

Airport parking: $70

Luggage for trip: $100

rain suits for 3: $125

Edited by flatlander321

Family of 5, Norwegian Sun 7 day from Vancouver 5/2016. We kept food costs low by doing grocery store "picnics" a lot and by bringing our own snacks from home for excursions. We only ate out at a real restaurant once, although we got cheap sushi and doner kebob takeout in Vancouver. Souvenir costs not included below, although it wasn't much.

Midship Balcony + Tips + onboard spending : $3150 (KSF promotion + saved $100 with AmEx offer - and yes, the five of us shared one room)

Airfare: $56 (taxes on frequent flier tickets)

Pre-Cruise time in Vancouver: CAD 313 for 2 nights in hotel

Transportation: CAD 87 (we walked A LOT)

Meals, Entertainment (Granville Island Market + Aquabus tour + Bike Rental for three; also used reciprocating museum membership for free admission to science museum) ~CAD 250

Ketchikan: $250 for Ketchikan Taxi Company tour + $15 SE Alaska Discovery Center

Juneau: $885 (car rental, lunch, private whale watching tour, DIPAC admission, Mendenhall glacier hiking)

Skagway: $210 (rental car to drive Klondike Highway + lunch; also took free ranger tour of Klondike Gold Rush NHP)

Seward to Anchorage: $383 (rental car + Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center; also used reciprocating museum membership for free admission to Anchorage Museum)

Anchorage to Talkeetna for two nights and back: $372 lodging, redeemed points for free rental car, hiking (free), $50 sled dog ride + ~$145 food and beer :)

Used loyalty points for free week of airport parking, paid remainder of $24

Grand total was slightly over $100pp/day which we were quite happy with.

Last August to Alaska on the Ruby Princess: minisuite cabin for 2, $3850. Two bottles of wine, auto-tips, a few shirts and such, $300. Private tour in Ketchikan with tip: $500. Private photography tour in Haines (from Skagway, with two-hour extension) with tip: $900. Ship-booked excursions in Tracy Arm, Juneau, and Victoria: $1200. Photography equipment rentals to fill in the gaps for what we don't own (yet): $1300. Grand total: a little over $8000 if I'm not mistaken.

Year: 2016 Ship: Ruby Princess Trip: 7 week Alaska Guest: 2 Room: Balcony Ship expenses: 3k Overall vacation expenses 4k (Taxi, parking, tipping, gas etc) posting this because i feel like if you want others or know others who are curious about going a cruise which a MUST i think its great if they know how much to save for or expect to spend.

1st trip coming up this August.

- B2B on Celebrity from Seward-Vancouver-Seward = $8500 incl OBC, gratuities, drink package, etc.

- RT airfare = $2000

- Time spent in Denali park and Anchorage = $6000 or so

- Various train trips Anchorage-Seward-Anchorage-Denali-Anchorage = $1750

- Rental car = $750

- Bear flight = $1400

- Whale watching = $380

- Other lodging = $500?

- Other expenses = ?

Total for 14 night cruise and 14 nights ashore = $28-30,000

Many ways to cut this cost. One thing that would be helpful would be to book sooner. I booked hotels, tours etc about 12 months out. Of course cheaper cabins are available, cheaper flights, etc.

Noordam May 29/16- 9 night cruise tour to Denali. Total cost for one person in an partially obstructed ocean view cabin in US dollars were

Cruise Tour-$1985(booked 6 weeks out)

Flights to Vancouver and home from Fairbanks were booked on points so just pd $5.80 in taxes.

Sky train from airport to cruise port $5.98( vs the $28 HAL would charge to take me by bus)

Shore excursions-$788( splurged on a fly in bear viewing from Juneau to Admiralty Island, shore excursion to Haines with jet boating in the Chilkat Eagle preserve and a short private tour in Ketchikan to Herring Cove)

On board charges $88.12

Extra meals during land portion $80

Grand total-$2952.90

Edited by lizziebargain

Kudos to you. Do it right the first time. Good luck on your future Alaskan cruises.

I have been many Alaskan cruises and i too though my first trip could have been a one and only. I too spent extra money on this, that and the other thing. I wanted to have a memorable experience (which I still have). I then realized that this is what I like to do. Throughout the years I have learned how to save through cruise critic, do without all the paid extras (nickel and dime) and let my imagination be my tour guild.

P.S. It really is cheaper cruising single if your have the flexibility booking a cruise only two weeks out.

Could you please elaborate on your postscript, particularly with regard to Celebrity? Thanks.

1st trip coming up this August.

- B2B on Celebrity from Seward-Vancouver-Seward = $8500 incl OBC, gratuities, drink package, etc.

- RT airfare = $2000

- Time spent in Denali park and Anchorage = $6000 or so

- Various train trips Anchorage-Seward-Anchorage-Denali-Anchorage = $1750

- Rental car = $750

- Bear flight = $1400

- Whale watching = $380

- Other lodging = $500?

- Other expenses = ?

Total for 14 night cruise and 14 nights ashore = $28-30,000

Many ways to cut this cost. One thing that would be helpful would be to book sooner. I booked hotels, tours etc about 12 months out. Of course cheaper cabins are available, cheaper flights, etc.

Very helpful, thank you. I can add another $2000 for flights from here and covert it all to $US. So a major holiday but about the same as our month in South America last year. More expensive than Europe though.

Last year we spent a little over $7,200 for a 7 night cruise on Grand Princess in an Caribe balcony with a 5 night post cruise land tour for 2 of us.

That includes RT air from Ohio, shore excursions, including a glacier landing flight on McKinley,(now Denali), and shore excursions in all ports - whale watching in Juneau, Lumberjack in Ketcikan, 98 show in Skagway, the Zodiac ride in Skagway for just myself, salmon bake and show in Fairbanks, misc meals, tips on land, and land transportation, and we also did Jeff King's Huskey Homestead tour in Denali.

I'm a deal chaser, which doesn't mean I try to do things on the cheap, I just look for the best way to stretch my $'s and I almost always get a big bang out of what I spend. I do get our pre cruise rooms free with my Marriott points and usually get a free breakfast thrown into the mix if the executive lounge isn't open on the weekend - that usually saves us a few hundred $'s. It does take time to find great deals, but it usually pays big dividends. It's my hobby.

I spent a fair amount, but I figured I probably wouldn't do it again. Here are my views on priorities:

Economy air. Can't justify more.

Best rooms in pan pacific and captain cook, Vancouver n anchorage respectively. Really wanted good views as this is central to an ak vacay. That said, here is the most obvious place I'd economize if I go again.

Ship; celebrity in celeb suit 8401. Plus cruise tour. Perfect for great panoramic view in suite or on balcony. I love good food, so luminae and great room service helped. I could see shrinking this too, though. Cruise tour was well led, but did not offer view maximizing rooms. Shame on celebrity. Might consider other land options if do again.

Food on shore, Esp during cruise tour. I tried whatever i had room for. Budget nearly unlimited, tho oddly I did little foodie pre research. Did not buy super great wines by bottle tho. Would never cut local food.

Excursions. Spent anything on this, well over 2k for two. Extended helo glacier excursion was great. Etc. Would find this hard to cut again, except maybe isp zipline.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47571779&postcount=1

7 Day Cruise and 2 night post-cruise excursion to Victoria on Vancouver Island last summer for DH and I.

• Excellent relatively last-minute deal on an inside cabin on the Radiance of the Seas (including taxes, fees, auto-grats and transfer to the ship): $1,380 CAD
  • Flights to Anchorage and home from Victoria, BC (including airport parking) = $820 CAD
  • On-board expenses and activities in port (including bus tour up the White Pass in Skagway, whale-watching tour in Hoonah, short sightseeing bus tour, golf-cart rental and lumberjack show in Ketchikan and large quantities of crab and halibut eaten everywhere) = $1,600 CAD
  • BC Ferries from Vancouver to Victoria: $72 CAD
  • Car rental, meals and one night hotel in Victoria: $420 CAD

TOTAL: $4,292 CAD

This was intended to be a "budget getaway" but it didn't exactly work out like that. We were lured by a very reasonable cruise fare and it rolled like a snowball from there even though we forewent most of the pricier excursions. Ironically, we cancelled our Mediterranean bucket-list cruise (originally booked for the same time-frame) because it was too expensive! :p

Edited by ronandannette

I LOVE that snowball analogy!!! Good One!! :D

:o I'd actually never tallied it all up before...that's about $1K more than we would have spent on a comparable week cruising the Caribbean. And {{sigh}} for only a few thousand more we could have done that Europe trip we dreamed of.

Edited by ronandannette