Cell phones in the MDR

Norcal Cruiser

Or it could mean, I'm ELITE PLUS and, unless they eat all their meals in the buffet, eating in the MDR, with the common people, is beneath us.

Or he actually may eat all of his meals in the buffet!

What's the difference.

If you want to read into things, you are limited only by your own imagination.

Threads like this is why I stopped going to the cruise critic meet and mingle. Too many people who can't mind their own damn business.

Amen! I stopped going years back for precisely this reason and never went back.

I'm curious as to how those who do not see an issue with cell phone usage at a table would react if I brought my Wall Street Journal to the table. Opening it wide to read, making sure I was able to get the full effect of my enjoyment.

That wouldn't be rude at all, just like using a cell phone.

:rolleyes:

If you are sharing a table with other guests that would indeed be rude. Using a cell phone would be rude too. I haven't read any posts on this thread disagreeing with that, so I don't understand the theatrical rolling eyes at the end of your post.

What everyone on here is reacting to is the opp's complaint about someone texting at a *different* table. What happens at another table is none of his/her business. It might have been a single family sharing a table and what they then chose to do / not do is totally up to them, and sending text messages (assuming the phone is on silent) does not impact the opp's cruise experience at all.

Edited by florisdekort

If the people who are sitting at that table are bothered, then they should address it. If you are sitting at another table in the dining room, then it doesn't concern you.

Save

Exactly. It didn't concern the opp. Period. This constant obsession about what others wear, do, say, etc. is much more rude than the actual use of a cell phone.

You're commenting about being interactive with others at the table by showing them pictures. The comment in the beginning is referring to those ignoring others around them as they have their face in their phone. That's a big difference. You're comparing apples to oranges.

This is why I mentioned reading a newspaper at the table. Ignoring people in such a way, regardless of whether you're looking at your phone or reading a book or reading a newspaper, is poor manners.

:

Yes, I was commenting about using a cell phone and being interactive with our friends. I understood what the OP was saying, but wanted to make a point that just because you use a cell phone does not mean that you are ignoring everyone.

Had she looked at us just at the right time she may have seen our faces in our phones, too, and also thought we were ignoring each other when nothing could have been further from the truth.

On your other point, I personally would not read a newspaper at the table as I would feel rude doing so. If someone else wanted to that is their business and I would not feel disrespected by them. I would just think that they really wanted to read the paper.

This constant obsession about what others wear, do, say, etc. is much more rude than the actual use of a cell phone.

Very much agree! This, to me, is the issue in a nutshell.

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Or he actually may eat all of his meals in the buffet!

What's the difference.

If you want to read into things' date=' you are limited only by your own imagination.[/quote']

I was going to edit my response, but was too late.

We have only had dinner one time in a pay restaurant, and that was a freebie, the one time we booked a suite using a promotion that actually got us to elite plus.

We mostly just order the MDR food and have it delivered to us in the room. Don't have to dress up, don't have to spend hours in a loud dining room, and don't have to be bothered by all the judgmental people that make a living out of finding something to be offended by.

I am going to go shopping for rose colored glasses.

Back in my work days of not too long ago, one of the biggest joys of a cruise is the job could not find me.

Now, I guess that's thing of the past.

As far using cell phone at dinner, I don't get it. I see it even at 'high end' restaurants here. Enjoy your meal, have a nice conversation with your wife/husband or dinner companion(s).

It's only a thing of the past for those who are so addicted to their devices that they'd happily let work use it as an electronic leash so long as they can get in another facebook like or game of candy crush.

It's only a thing of the past for those who are so addicted to their devices that they'd happily let work use it as an electronic leash so long as they can get in another facebook like or game of candy crush.

It's amazing how quickly things change isn't it? Not too long ago I nearly killed DH for giving my cel phone # to a client! I carried the phone in the car in case of emergency (I had one and never left home without it) but I never turned it on on week-ends...because I did not want anyone to call me on my week-ends off! Now my children are chained to their phones and literally working 24/7. This is progress???? :D

We were on the Solstice May 27th Alaska cruise and observed something we hadn't seen before. Several tables near us had many cell phones out texting and watching videos while ordering and even when eating. My opinion only but I think this is so rude to the dining staff and your fellow diners. Hopefully not the new norm. I have no problem with people snapping quick pics of the food but these phones were out and being used the entire dinner. We had a good cruise but this was unsettling.

Seems to becoming the norm at sea or on land.

It's amazing how quickly things change isn't it? Not too long ago I nearly killed DH for giving my cel phone # to a client! I carried the phone in the car in case of emergency (I had one and never left home without it) but I never turned it on on week-ends...because I did not want anyone to call me on my week-ends off! Now my children are chained to their phones and literally working 24/7. This is progress???? :D

Now my work pays for ship wifi and international data plans so they can reach me when I'm on vacation. A necessary evil for me. As a result I can take longer and more frequent vacations.

However, You're right things change.

If you are sharing a table with other guests that would indeed be rude. Using a cell phone would be rude too. I haven't read any posts on this thread disagreeing with that, so I don't understand the theatrical rolling eyes at the end of your post.

What everyone on here is reacting to is the opp's complaint about someone texting at a *different* table. What happens at another table is none of his/her business. It might have been a single family sharing a table and what they then chose to do / not do is totally up to them, and sending text messages (assuming the phone is on silent) does not impact the opp's cruise experience at all.

I was being sarcastic. Hence the " :rolleyes: ".

I'd NEVER be so rude as to do that.

Now my work pays for ship wifi and international data plans so they can reach me when I'm on vacation. A necessary evil for me. As a result I can take longer and more frequent vacations.

Tommy3putts (I love that!) That's terrible!!! If they're calling you on board, you're working not vacationing. :D:eek:

I was being sarcastic. Hence the " :rolleyes: ".

I'd NEVER be so rude as to do that.

K.T.B.: Been there, done that....apparently we have similar senses of humor. :D

If you want more discipline on your cruises, join the Navy. Like the previous post states, it's the new normal, like with the selfie sticks.

Many places are beginning to ban "selfie sticks", mainly amusement parks.

Many places are beginning to ban "selfie sticks", mainly amusement parks.

They should be banned...people using them are downright dangerous. I was almost knocked into a fountain by an idiot trying to center himself directly in front of the fountain and totally oblivious to the people (me) standing behind him. My dark side was telling me to grab his shirt and fall in! :D

If your work requires you to be available while you are on vacation, you are not on vacation.

DON

On one vacation I was walking down the hall at the Disney Boardwalk. My cell rang and I answered. I had just finished my call when a man approaching from another direction commented as he passed, "Man, you're on vacation. Put that damn thing away." My mind when click and he was right.

Now when we are on a cruise we ensure that the family knows how to get in touch in case of emergency. I do carry my business phone but only turn it on while in port and even then only for a few moments. Just to see if any in my family called. Then it's off again.

I guess for me it's about boundaries. I learned a long time ago that there are very few things in business that can’t wait a week or so. I also know that the person in front of me is more important than the call that comes in. The telephone has no rights. I suppose that some would argue that it’s a new century and a new decade and things are different? They could be right. But difference doesn’t always equate to being better.

Baseball caps and flip-flops.

Unfortunately I cant edit my post anymore..

Its quite interesting to see that the currently two most active threads here at the Celebrity forum, is about issues other cruie guests finds rude: cell phones in the MDR and table hogs. :)

Its quite interesting to see that the currently two most active threads here at the Celebrity forum, is about issues other cruise guests finds rude: cell phones in the MDR and table hogs. :)

Yes, we need one about Buffet Line cutters, Theater seat savers, non-users of hand sanitizer, smokers, finger lickers in the buffet, drink package abusers, liquor smugglers, etc.

I fear that we will be on our phones much more than we are normally. For 1 we have the free wifi so it's just more accessible, and 2 we won't have our kids with us so there's that worry of being disconnected from them. We don't normally use our phones during dinner, ever, so thta shouldn't be too much of an issue.