Cell phones in the MDR

Norcal Cruiser

I don't mind people using their phones to read or text as long as they're not making a lot of noise or being rude to others or doing it in a theater. Maybe the people were planning their next port trip? Communication and planning have changed with the advent of personal computers in your pocket. I wouldn't condone an actual phone call, though -- that's rude in a restaurant, period.

I do judge people who put a device in a toddler's hands to keep them quiet, though. Studies have proven that it harms their learning and social skills if it's not an educationally-focused pursuit. Seeing a child staring at a soundless cartoon like a zombie doesn't raise any qualms? Not to mention that not everyone wants the distraction of a screen broadcasting video within eyesight. A tablet is much larger and more intrusive than a phone.

Agreed. It continues to baffle me how much people on here gossip and complain about what others do that has zero impact to them. What somebody else wears or whether someone else sends a text message (assuming the phone is on silent) is none of my business and would never impact my cruise- or dining experience.

Now - people talking loudly on a cell phone or a screaming baby that the parents don't carry out - those complaints I would understand.

With all the people who are "getting their moneys worth" out of the drink package, it's too loud in the dining room to do anything on your cell phone but text and surf the web.

The problem that we are seeing is that people are being told that if they don't like it to just mind their business and move on - I believe that this thinking is what got us to this place to begin with.

By condoning an action, you are being just as complicit as the person that is doing it. Now perhaps many people think that it is okay to just be self-absorbed in your own world, but I was always taught by my grandmother that both direct and indirect actions affect other people and should be minded. I was taught to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." In this case, even though they are not right there in front of you, using a cell phone affects those around you in that people find it to be distracting from their dining experience. Whether or not you agree with the OP has nothing to do with respecting their opinion on the matter.

I am sure Celebrity didn't think about this happening when they launched the new promotions, however if people complain about it affecting their dining experience then I am sure it will be changed.

The problem that we are seeing is that people are being told that if they don't like it to just mind their business and move on - I believe that this thinking is what got us to this place to begin with.

By condoning an action, you are being just as complicit as the person that is doing it. Now perhaps many people think that it is okay to just be self-absorbed in your own world, but I was always taught by my grandmother that both direct and indirect actions affect other people and should be minded. I was taught to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." In this case, even though they are not right there in front of you, using a cell phone affects those around you in that people find it to be distracting from their dining experience. Whether or not you agree with the OP has nothing to do with respecting their opinion on the matter.

I am sure Celebrity didn't think about this happening when they launched the new promotions, however if people complain about it affecting their dining experience then I am sure it will be changed.

Your statement that others are "condoning" is assuming everyone agrees with you about the original "transgression ".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Your statement that others are "condoning" is assuming everyone agrees with you about the original "transgression ".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just wondering when the "transgressions" will make people stand up and take notice to the fact that the degradation of everyday manners is something to actually take notice of.

Heck, why even bother with dressing up at all to go eat in the MDR? Maybe since it is just more comfortable and easier for everyone to go in flip-flops and swim wear we can just offset the whole dress code that's not enforced anyways. While we're at it, how about we just get rid of those pesky tables and chairs and we just bring the pool stuff in and we can lounge around the room eating as if we were back up on deck? Hell, why don't we just take the "X" of the boat while we're at it, and slap on a large "Six Flags" logo because why pay for any sort of "luxury" when you can just get the standards you're looking for down the road at a second-rate amusement park.

When do we finally say that it is okay for people to stop acting the way they want to, and start acting like they are supposed to for the given situation they are in? I don't care if you are on vacation or not, it doesn't give you carte blanche to act like a classless dunce who cares more about themselves than the others around you.

People shouldn't be using their phones at a dinner table - it's just proper manners. Many people might find it not bothersome to them, however many people still actually have some decorum in them, and want to be treated as if they are on a luxury cruise. My friends and I wouldn't have our cell phones out at nice restaurants because we would frankly know better.

I frankly don't care if anyone approves whether the original OP was over blowing the situation or not, but I can assure you that many people who are paying the (ever increasing) prices want to be treated as if they are still in a classy establishment where some sort manners still exists. Many business people such as myself also WANT to get away from others with cell phones as that is the whole point of the vacation in the first place. Again it goes back to treating others as you want to be treated. A good rule that I was also taught is that if you have to question whether or not what your doing is okay, it probably isn't. If you want to be around people that are using their phones all the time while at dinner, then go to the buffet....or a McDonalds, and stay out of any fine dining establishment.

This has turned into making a mountain out of a mole hill. We've sailed 420 days and eaten 95% of our dinners in the main dining room, and don't recall ever seeing or hearing anybody on a cell phone. The sky isn't falling. I don't consider the main dining room fine dining, it's turned into a banquet hall. The room is nice, the wait staff fits the bill, and the table setting looks right. That's where it ends. The overall quality of the food is inconsistent, sometimes really good and other times edible. The service has deteriorated because of cutbacks. It has gotten quite noisy and at times, you have a hard time hearing your table mates. Throw in the t-shirts, flip flops, and shorts and now you have a banquet hall.

Just wondering when the "transgressions" will make people stand up and take notice to the fact that the degradation of everyday manners is something to actually take notice of.

Heck, why even bother with dressing up at all to go eat in the MDR? Maybe since it is just more comfortable and easier for everyone to go in flip-flops and swim wear we can just offset the whole dress code that's not enforced anyways. While we're at it, how about we just get rid of those pesky tables and chairs and we just bring the pool stuff in and we can lounge around the room eating as if we were back up on deck? Hell, why don't we just take the "X" of the boat while we're at it, and slap on a large "Six Flags" logo because why pay for any sort of "luxury" when you can just get the standards you're looking for down the road at a second-rate amusement park.

When do we finally say that it is okay for people to stop acting the way they want to, and start acting like they are supposed to for the given situation they are in? I don't care if you are on vacation or not, it doesn't give you carte blanche to act like a classless dunce who cares more about themselves than the others around you.

People shouldn't be using their phones at a dinner table - it's just proper manners. Many people might find it not bothersome to them, however many people still actually have some decorum in them, and want to be treated as if they are on a luxury cruise. My friends and I wouldn't have our cell phones out at nice restaurants because we would frankly know better.

I frankly don't care if anyone approves whether the original OP was over blowing the situation or not, but I can assure you that many people who are paying the (ever increasing) prices want to be treated as if they are still in a classy establishment where some sort manners still exists. Many business people such as myself also WANT to get away from others with cell phones as that is the whole point of the vacation in the first place. Again it goes back to treating others as you want to be treated. A good rule that I was also taught is that if you have to question whether or not what your doing is okay, it probably isn't. If you want to be around people that are using their phones all the time while at dinner, then go to the buffet....or a McDonalds, and stay out of any fine dining establishment.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Unfortunately, most of your response seems to be very 'straw man'. By the way, in your golden rule opinion, you seem to be saying, treat me as I want and expect to be treated instead of primarily worrying about treating others as they would like to be treated. It's supposed to be two way. Lastly, some people seem to be way too distressed about what others wear and do around them.

Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J. If you want to be around people that are using their phones all the time while at dinner, then go to the buffet....or a McDonalds, and stay out of any fine dining establishment.

Poor Jonny, it seems that you have no idea what a "fine dining establishment" really is. It's certainly NOT the MDR on a X ship.

I'm curious as to how those who do not see an issue with cell phone usage at a table would react if I brought my Wall Street Journal to the table. Opening it wide to read, making sure I was able to get the full effect of my enjoyment.

That wouldn't be rude at all, just like using a cell phone.

:rolleyes:

I'm curious as to how those who do not see an issue with cell phone usage at a table would react if I brought my Wall Street Journal to the table. Opening it wide to read, making sure I was able to get the full effect of my enjoyment.

If I were sitting at your table and you started reading the WSJ, I wouldn't care.:)

i'm curious as to how those who do not see an issue with cell phone usage at a table would react if i brought my wall street journal to the table. Opening it wide to read, making sure i was able to get the full effect of my enjoyment.

ha ha ha

Edited by Gracie115

Quietly using your cell phone or quietly reading your paper/it's your vacation and you would not be bothering me

Or conversely, these examples of what happened at our table of four shared with our good friends recently in the MDR. They were proud to show us pictures of their grandkids. I assume that if they had taken these photos out of their wallets (showing my age here) no one watching from another table would have had a problem. Or everyone enjoying seeing the photos we all took during the day, but now shared by passing around our phones rather than our cameras.

The cell phone is just a tool, many times doing the same things we have already been doing, just doing them easier and more efficiently.

If we shared a table with you and you wanted to read your Wall Street Journal it would not bother me, although I would probably suggest that you get their electronic version.

Edited by followyourheart

It's your vacation. It's not my business what you do unless it affects me negatively. Enjoy yourself.

Or conversely, these examples of what happened at our table of four shared with our good friends recently in the MDR. They were proud to show us pictures of their grandkids. I assume that if they had taken these photos out of their wallets (showing my age here) no one watching from another table would have had a problem. Or everyone enjoying seeing the photos we all took during the day, but now shared by passing around our phones rather than our cameras.

The cell phone is just a tool, many times doing the same things we have already been doing, just doing them easier and more efficiently.

If we shared a table with you and you wanted to read your Wall Street Journal it would not bother me, although I would probably suggest that you get their electronic version.

You're commenting about being interactive with others at the table by showing them pictures. The comment in the beginning is referring to those ignoring others around them as they have their face in their phone. That's a big difference. You're comparing apples to oranges.

This is why I mentioned reading a newspaper at the table. Ignoring people in such a way, regardless of whether you're looking at your phone or reading a book or reading a newspaper, is poor manners.

If you want to do any of those things, it's good manners to wait.

I forgot. McDonalds has a dress code, "no shoes, no shirt, no service". By your definition, that makes them a fine dining establishment. Maybe that's the one for cruising.

Nice strawman argument. :rolleyes:

I don't use my cell phone at dinner tables and actually leave it in my cabin the entire cruise unless I'm going off the ship and that is for safety reasons.

With regard to you reading, it is up to you if you want to do. I can only control what I do, not what others do and if that is what you choose to do (just like those that use their cell phones at the dining table), go for it, as it will not affect my dinner whatsoever. Just don't encroach on my space by touching me with your arm or paper while spreading your paper out, because then I would not be a happy camper.

You're commenting about being interactive with others at the table by showing them pictures. The comment in the beginning is referring to those ignoring others around them as they have their face in their phone. That's a big difference. You're comparing apples to oranges.

This is why I mentioned reading a newspaper at the table. Ignoring people in such a way, regardless of whether you're looking at your phone or reading a book or reading a newspaper, is poor manners.

If you want to do any of those things, it's good manners to wait.

Nice strawman argument. :rolleyes:

If the people who are sitting at that table are bothered, then they should address it. If you are sitting at another table in the dining room, then it doesn't concern you.

Save

We are elite plus on Celebrity and have never eaten dinner in the MDR.

I guess I am missing out! Sounds like "dinner and a show".

I might have to try it during our next cruise.

What has being Elite Plus have anything to do with eating in the MDR? Eating in the MDR has always been "dinner and a show".

What has being Elite Plus have anything to do with eating in the MDR? Eating in the MDR has always been "dinner and a show".

I think it's just his way of saying that although he has been on very many Celebrity cruises, he has never eaten in the MDR. I wouldn't read anything else into it.

I think it's just his way of saying that although he has been on very many Celebrity cruises' date=' he has never eaten in the MDR. I wouldn't read anything else into it.[/quote']

Or it could mean, I'm ELITE PLUS and, unless they eat all their meals in the buffet, eating in the MDR, with the common people, is beneath us.

Use of cell phones etc during dinner service in Muranos,Tuscan, BlU or Luminae would seem rude to me even to keep children busy/quiet .

We no longer attend the MDR in the evening but would see use there as rude esp if at a table with non friends or rels.....

...cell phone and kiddie devices seem best suited for the buffet.......but seems the world is changing at the expense of good table manners....backward caps and flip flops coming soon...

We are elite plus on Celebrity and have never eaten dinner in the MDR.

I guess I am missing out! Sounds like "dinner and a show".

I might have to try it during our next cruise.

Don't bother, the only "show" is here on CC. The real MDR is not as entertaining. I have yet to hear someone yell; " Hey you, Yeah you, at the table four over and two down, get off your darn cell phone!"

I only say I'm elite plus to show that I have cruised a fair number of times(and apparently don't know what i'm missing in the MDR)...and I'm better than you!;)