? anyone collecting HAL destination pins

realnurse2

Just curious John and others, we have won what we have during trivia, but are there other ways to get hold of them (not counting the privileges that come with the job)?

Morning Jeroen; as far as I know, the pins are given out at the Trivia games. Not sure if they are also given out at the other games. They are kept in the CD office

Morning Jeroen; as far as I know, the pins are given out at the Trivia games. Not sure if they are also given out at the other games. They are kept in the CD office

Thanks John, I have already learned that every CD runs his own ship, so to speak. When we were on Koningsdam in April, CD Jonathan gave bottles of champagne for the winners, which we thought was a pity, since we were in trivia for the fun on one hand, but also for a chance to win the pins!

And our experience is that it can also be won at other games, but again this differs from ship to ship, we have won pins at travel trivia by the destinations team, but also at a game of “sjoelen” on Rotterdam. :D

Thanks John, I have already learned that every CD runs his own ship, so to speak. When we were on Koningsdam in April, CD Jonathan gave bottles of champagne for the winners, which we thought was a pity, since we were in trivia for the fun on one hand, but also for a chance to win the pins!

And our experience is that it can also be won at other games, but again this differs from ship to ship, we have won pins at travel trivia by the destinations team, but also at a game of “sjoelen” on Rotterdam. :D

I wish they had "sjoelbakken" on the other ships! Haven't played it since I was a kid in Holland

Edited by Copper10-8

I wish they had "sjoelbakken" on the other ships! Haven't played it since I was a kid in Holland

Well, we came across one on Ryndam last year as well. If it is played, there are not a lot of people who know it, nor enter to play it. Also we have experienced on both Rotterdam and Ryndam, that the way they calculate points, is different from what we know from back home. :D

They had 2 boards on koningsdam, I asked 5 different groups for the rules/scoring and got 5 different answers [emoji12]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Just off koningsdam where we tried trivia a few times, was surprised when a team got a perfect score in an obscure natural science game. Afterwards overheard them tell the ACD they had heard all the questions before at previous trivia on previous cruise ... They still accepted the champagne [emoji848]

Must have been desperate for a drink lol

As for pins a waitress gave me one for the Baltic and another cruiser asked for it and gave me some others in return. All good fun, I didn't know they existed or were so popular

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't think they are really that popular, just that I piqued people's interest by asking about them! :eek:

Thanks all for trading . If all goes well and Canada doesn't have a mail strike, then my sets are complete soon. :)

• 3 years later...
On 7/12/2016 at 9:23 AM, Copper10-8 said:

Nice souvenir to bring home from a holiday in Holland/The Netherlands.  Maybe on a HAL repositioning cruise TA?Show Reply.url

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I heard they may give you Coronavirus.

You just can't be serious with this post!  As a retired science educator, this post makes me wonder if you learned much in your science courses in school.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You just can't be serious with this post!  As a retired science educator, this post makes me wonder if you learned much in your science courses in school.

Relax....I'm not serious.....no need to be hateful and judgmental about someone's education, BTW.

Let's be nice....and "savor the journey"

Smooth sailing..........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Relax....I'm not serious.....no need to be hateful and judgmental about someone's education, BTW.

Let's be nice....and "savor the journey"

Smooth sailing..........

Thanks for us know that you were not serious.  My post was not meant to be read as being "hateful" about someone's education.  But, as a retired science educator, I am concerned about some of the "fake science" news that exists in the media and the seeming acceptance of such "fake science" by too many people.  

Fair winds and following seas to you as well!

• 2 years later...

Restarting this conversation, we've been on Westerdam for 9 days around NZ and have won 12 pins. All but two are Alaska. They are also awarding certificates for sports.

Edited by amp-qld
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, amp-qld said:

Restarting this conversation, we've been on Westerdam for 9 days around NZ and have won 12 pins. All but two are Alaska. They are also awarding certificates for sports.

Seems to be different all over the fleet, some trivia have no prizes, some award drinks, some award bottles of champagne, but have not seen pins lately, so count yourself lucky.

On 7/12/2016 at 9:48 AM, realnurse2 said:

There are 11 destination pins and assorted HAL pins- orange oval and a couple of blue/white ones that look like the funnel of a ship. These are the freebies given out as game prizes.

The complete set is Canada- New England, Alaska, Caribbean, South America, South Pacific, Australia, Asia, Mediterranean, Panama, Northern Europe, Mexico.

My Australia pins say Australia-New Zealand.  Am I right in thinking that the old series are thicker than the new ones?  I've got four each spare of the thick Australia & New Zealand pins and of the thin Asia pins plus three thick Alaska and one thin South Pacific.  The pictures on the thicker ones are whiter than on the thin ones.  I haven't got either type for Mexico or Panama, don't have the thick ones for Australia-New Zealand or South America and only have thin ones for Alaska, Australia-New Zealand, South America and South Pacific.  Anyone interested in swaps?