Alaska...Tips for sleep??

We are so excited for our upcoming cruise... Just wondering how much of an issue the excessive daylight in addition to time change was for others. We will have a balcony cabin. Although I'm sure the drapes help to some degree ...the late sunset & early sunrise will surely peek through to throw our internal clocks off.

Would a sleep mask help? Thinking it would be really annoying and uncomfortable though, lol. I can't stand the thought of fabric that doesn't breathe (most seem to be made of silk) pressed against my eyelids.

If so, any recommendations for a particular one and any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

Instead of a sleep patch.... I usually build a "pyramid" when travelling at cheap motels. Two pillows on both sides of my head to keep out the noise and a third pillow over the eyes. Not sure if you get that many pillows on a cruise ship.

We are so excited for our upcoming cruise... Just wondering how much of an issue the excessive daylight in addition to time change was for others. We will have a balcony cabin. Although I'm sure the drapes help to some degree ...the late sunset & early sunrise will surely peek through to throw our internal clocks off.

Would a sleep mask help? Thinking it would be really annoying and uncomfortable though, lol. I can't stand the thought of fabric that doesn't breathe (most seem to be made of silk) pressed against my eyelids.

If so, any recommendations for a particular one and any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

Ships I been on Drapes do seal out the light. Bigger problem is if you have time zone difference, internal clook as you said.

When do you leave for your cruise? We're leaving on July 22 but doing the land tour first, getting into Fairbanks on the night of the 18, exactly one week from today. I can't believe it's almost here!! How are you doing with your packing? I know I've over packed but it's hard when going to Alaska, plus this is my first cruise.

When do you leave for your cruise? We're leaving on July 22 but doing the land tour first, getting into Fairbanks on the night of the 18, exactly one week from today. I can't believe it's almost here!! How are you doing with your packing? I know I've over packed but it's hard when going to Alaska, plus this is my first cruise.

It was 85 at my brothers house in Anchorage this afternoon and the weather tends to be hotter in Fairbanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JVilleGal, wow!! That's really nice! We're spending two days in Fairbanks and two days in Denali before going to Anchorage and then Seward to board the ship. I know it's colder in Denali so I think I'm prepared for that. My shirts I'm taking aren't heavy but the sleeves are a little bit longer. Hopefully I won't roast! :)

JVilleGal, wow!! That's really nice! We're spending two days in Fairbanks and two days in Denali before going to Anchorage and then Seward to board the ship. I know it's colder in Denali so I think I'm prepared for that. My shirts I'm taking aren't heavy but the sleeves are a little bit longer. Hopefully I won't roast! :)

Well to hear my mom complain you would think she was in Death Valley! But it is Alaska, wait 5 min and the weather will change. :)

Instead of a sleep patch.... I usually build a "pyramid" when travelling at cheap motels. Two pillows on both sides of my head to keep out the noise and a third pillow over the eyes. Not sure if you get that many pillows on a cruise ship.

The stateroom attendant has always been able to give us extra pillows.

I have a very strong internal clock and add that to fact that when we cruised Alaska it was over the summer solstice, I didn't get much sleep. I found the light peeked around the curtains so definitely try and get used to sleeping with a sleep mask. I would also start adjusting to the local time before your trip if possible. Good Luck!

When I took my Alaskan cruise I was sailing solo in an outside cabin. One morning scenic pictures were supposed to be from 6 AM - 9 AM. I grumbled but set my alarm for 5:30 AM because I didn't want to miss the pictures. I woke up in broad daylight and then shot out of bed, thinking I hadn't properly set my alarm ... but nope. it was just 3 AM sunlight.

Ended up being worth it. :)

Alaska.jpg.89548ae6f3603efde7df870781c45489.jpg

well, it was kind of a big deal for me because i woke up and got my 6 year old grandson up at 3:45 in the morning when i thought my watch said 9:15 (i looked at my watch wrong) and it was bright outside so i was all messed up. Anyway, i made him get dressed and down to the lobby we went for our continental breakfast only to find No One There!!!! True story- back up to bed we went. I would definitely advise a sleep mask and some Melatonin maybe. Some of the hotels in the land portion did have room darkening blinds and curtains so that will help.

When we were in Fairbanks it was hot, hot, hot and no A/C at B&B. Would advise not to pack many cold weather clother. Dress in layers if need be. Was also hot everywhere we went and it was May/June.

We've been in the low 60s for a couple days now, but depending on rain and clouds we can go from 50s to 80s in a day, it's a bit crazy. Even within Anchorage the weather can be drastically different; my husband works for the National Weather Service in Anchorage and they sometimes have to put out completely different forecasts for the neighborhoods within the city. I think one day last winter Midtown was forecast for less than an inch of snow, while Muldoon (Northwest corner) was getting 8-12 inches, and Hillside was expected to get 2-3 feet. In summer it can be really hot downtown, and then you go to the hillside or coastal neighborhoods and the winds pick up and temperature plummets. It's neat, but can be a little difficult to plan around. Layers, layers, layers.

As for the light, sleep masks work great if you can get used to sleeping with one. I now use one year round, even in the winter when the sun is only up from like 11-3PM.

What Snit13 said is pretty common, most places up here don't have A/C, we finally broke down and bought a couple window units for our apartment because it was getting really warm. We haven't stayed at many hotels in Anchorage, but all the B&Bs and hotels we have stayed in just had fans or open windows, no A/C.. The ship itself will be nice, just as a warning when you're on land.