Show times

jantoby

Looking to book my first HAL - Panama Canal on either Veendam or Rotterdam - and want to decide which Traditional Dining time to go for. Show time in the main theatre makes a difference. For the later (8pm) sitting some cruise lines have their performance after dinner, which for yours truly makes for a late night. Other lines do it at about 6.30 while the earlier diners are dining.

Please can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

The shows, on my two HAL cruises, were after the 8 pm dinner. We only went to one once because of how late it was, but also, if I remember correctly, we would have had to speed through diner to get there...can't remember exactly. I very much wish they had a show early, before the late seating.

We were just on the Veendam. We did the late seating at 7:45 which was perfect. Not too early and not too late. Show times were 8 and 10 so, even with the late show, we were in bed by 11. Early dinner seating was 5:15. Way too early after a long day on shore.

On a recent Alaska cruise on Westerdam, was surprised to see second show at 10:30PM, not 10. The late shows were not well attended. Any thoughts about the reasoning behind that change?

What time was late dinner seating? If that was scheduled unusually late, then I can see the show moved later so people could get to it.

But I haven't seen an 8:30 dinner time since HAL moved away from the 4 seatings many years ago.

Otherwise, I can't think of any reason for 10:30 shows on a regular basis. Very strange.

On WC2016, the early show was moved to 8:15pm. Apparently, the new group handling shows shortened it to 45min. This made a lot of folks quite unhappy as they had to sit in the QL for an extra 15 minutes twiddling their thumbs.

I hope HAL rethinks that for the future as some of the older folks just quit going to the shows.

harry

RuthC, the late seating was at 8PM. However, there was an Inspirations Group numbered about 700 that had late set seating. Open seating downstairs until 9PM. Maybe they thought extra time was required. Will be interesting to see if this is a new trend or just on certain cruises.

RuthC, the late seating was at 8PM. However, there was an Inspirations Group numbered about 700 that had late set seating. Open seating downstairs until 9PM. Maybe they thought extra time was required. Will be interesting to see if this is a new trend or just on certain cruises.

A very large Inspirations group having dinner at 8:00. I think that answers it right there, and this was a special exception to the customary 10:00 PM show for late diners.

What is the consensus here......do you all like the 10 pm show time, or if eating at 8, would you rather have a show at 6 or 7 before your meal, then go to a bar or such after dinner?

My thought is 10 is too late for me, and if I really want to see that performer, I have to push to get out of dinner for it. I'd rather see if at 7 or so before the meal.

What is the consensus here......do you all like the 10 pm show time, or if eating at 8, would you rather have a show at 6 or 7 before your meal, then go to a bar or such after dinner?

My thought is 10 is too late for me, and if I really want to see that performer, I have to push to get out of dinner for it. I'd rather see if at 7 or so before the meal.

No, I'd rather go to the Ocean Bar around 7:15 for cocktails, dinner at 8 and showtime at 10. Followed by B.B.King show at 11...

It's always been "dinner & a show", not "show & a dinner".

I always ask for late seating, and want to relax at cocktail time first. It makes a lovely transition from the activities of the day, to an evening mindset.

Cocktails, dinner, show, then stay out and play for a while before bedtime.

Why would you have "to sit in the QL for an extra 15 minutes" if you knew what time the show started?

Those who had early dining and wanted a 'good seat' would always head to QL early to accomplish their goal. Obviously, they don't spend time at the piano bar before show etc ... The later start time for the early show adds 15 more minutes they wait.

DW and I usually went to piano bar and headed to show 10 minute before it starts, regardless of when that was. We always encountered folks who were not happy with the 'extra' wait - happened repeatedly.

My thought was that if the show starts 15 minutes later, then why not have dinner start 15 minutes later ... wont affect late dining at all.

harry

Those who had early dining and wanted a 'good seat' would always head to QL early to accomplish their goal. Obviously, they don't spend time at the piano bar before show etc ... The later start time for the early show adds 15 more minutes they wait.

DW and I usually went to piano bar and headed to show 10 minute before it starts, regardless of when that was. We always encountered folks who were not happy with the 'extra' wait - happened repeatedly.

My thought was that if the show starts 15 minutes later, then why not have dinner start 15 minutes later ... wont affect late dining at all.

harry

There were folks on that cruise that went to the main show lounge one hour before show start time to "scope out" their favorite seats (downstairs plus balcony). I interviewed several of them during the course of business

There were folks on that cruise that went to the main show lounge one hour before show start time to "scope out" their favorite seats (downstairs plus balcony). I interviewed several of them during the course of business

Interviewed/questioned/interrogated - you say poTAYto and I say poTAHto :)

Just off the volendam shows were at 8 and 10 with the exception of the first and last nights where it was one show at 9:30 for all. Can be hard for those on second sitting or later any time dining to find a seat in the theatre. The one on the last night caught me off guard as i was used to 10 o'clock shows. Hal is the only line that I have seen combine both seatings in to one show for the final night

Edited by sergeant655

So you were on that cruise? Sorry I missed you ...

harry