Solstice 1A Hump View - Fore vs. Aft?

Opie

What Solstice 1A hump direction would you rather be on and why? Facing forward or aft? Assume starboard side, if that matters.

I prefer a hump stateroom facing forward. Why? Because I like to see where I'm going. :D

What Solstice 1A hump direction would you rather be on and why? Facing forward or aft? Assume starboard side, if that matters.

I would recommend facing backwards as it is much more sheltered, you can use your balcony more. We were in 9192 a few months ago and it was wonderful, very large balcony and a quiet location!

Thanks for the quick responses. I looked at the room reviews and couldn't really find any that complained about wind from the 1As, so I was wondering if it was just assumed that the forward looking cabins seem like they would be windier rather than experienced.

Edited by Opie

The reason is that I'm booking two 1A rooms on Reflection and trying to decide which pairing is ideal for a December Western Caribbean cruise. Thoughts from below?

8224+8226 - mid-ship facing forward

8160+8162 - front-ship facing aft

7286+7288 - mid-ship facing aft

Edited by Opie

The reason is that I'm booking two 1A rooms on Reflection and trying to decide which pairing is ideal for a December Western Caribbean cruise. Thoughts from below?

8224+8226 - mid-ship facing forward

8160+8162 - front ship facing aft

7286+7288 - mid-ship facing aft

I think that since it's a Caribbean cruise you would be fine with either forward facing or rear. We had a forward facing on the Solstice in Alaska and the balcony was a very cold place to be...mostly due to the winds coming in. Doing it again, in Alaska, I'd do rear facing. Either way, very nice balcony just wish they'd put a lounger chair there since there's def plenty of room!

When looking at the 4er groups of the 1A cabins facing aft, the 1st and 3rd balconys of the 4er group (i.e. 7286, 7290) will be somewhat larger/deeper than the 2nd and 4th (7288, 7292), and the first (7286) is largest of all!. But all 4 are oversized, so they're all good!:D We prefer the aft-facing balcony cabins to provide shelter from wind on sea days (especially on transatlantic cruises or in Alaska).

There is a thread here on CC about the largest 1A balcony cabins. I'll try to find it for you.

I think that since it's a Caribbean cruise you would be fine with either forward facing or rear. We had a forward facing on the Solstice in Alaska and the balcony was a very cold place to be...mostly due to the winds coming in. Doing it again, in Alaska, I'd do rear facing. Either way, very nice balcony just wish they'd put a lounger chair there since there's def plenty of room!

Thanks for the responses. I assume higher is better, so trying to factor that in somehow -- and it sounds like mid-ship is an ideal location. I looked through the reflection reviews and only found one review where the forward facing noticed wind. It's a lot of money for us so trying to make the best decision -- I do like the idea of facing forward, anyway.

I would recommend facing backwards as it is much more sheltered, you can use your balcony more. We were in 9192 a few months ago and it was wonderful, very large balcony and a quiet location!

Yay we are in 9192 March 2017,sounds great.

We were in a forward facing A1 slant hump cabin on Equinox in March in the Caribbean. It wasn't cold but there was a lot of wind. I found myself hunching up against the forward bulkhead to shelter from the wind. I wouldn't book this cabin again due to the wind. I like to spend a lot of time out on a balcony and that much wind just made it uncomfortable, even though it wasn't cold.

We were in a forward facing A1 slant hump cabin on Equinox in March in the Caribbean. It wasn't cold but there was a lot of wind. I found myself hunching up against the forward bulkhead to shelter from the wind. I wouldn't book this cabin again due to the wind. I like to spend a lot of time out on a balcony and that much wind just made it uncomfortable, even though it wasn't cold.

Thanks for your response. What cabin #?

I also wonder if all of the verandah's were experiencing that level of wind or if it was worse for the forward facing.

Thanks for your response. What cabin #?

I also wonder if all of the verandah's were experiencing that level of wind or if it was worse for the forward facing.

9270 is forward facing mid-ship and the deepest balcony of all. We've had it a few times and have had no wind problems as its deep enough to find a comfortable place to sit. Our 1st choice for a 1A always.

We've sailed twice in forward facing cabins on the slant of the hump on S-class ships. No wind problems. Love the location. And would rather face forward (and see the bridge wings) than face aft.

Edited by Turtles06

If y'all had to choose between forward facing on 8 or aft facing on 9 what would you choose?

I should add aft facing on the front of 9 vs fore facing on mid 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Opie

If you can get the first cabin from the hump (9270, 8230/9292, 8252 or corresponding on Port side) that's the best option in either case. Next best is the third (9266, 8226, etc.). Largest balconies, and the first cabins from the hump extension are less effected by the angle, vision wise.

We had 8224 and 8226 on the Silhouette for our Baltic cruise and loved it. Yes, it can be a bit windier but I prefer the forward facing. We had a rear facing on Solstice for Australia and New Zealand and it was fine but I prefer looking forward. We have to rear facings on Silhouette again in September only because the forward facing ones were already booked up.

I would book any of these cabins due to their balcony size. That said, in hot areas I would prefer forward facing as the rear facing can get pretty warm as some of the breeze is blocked. Conversely, in cold areas like Alaska I would book rear facing, although it is usually (albeit not always) too cold to sit out on the balcony anyway. Either way, you can't lose with these rooms - they are great!

I would book any of these cabins due to their balcony size. That said, in hot areas I would prefer forward facing as the rear facing can get pretty warm as some of the breeze is blocked. Conversely, in cold areas like Alaska I would book rear facing, although it is usually (albeit not always) too cold to sit out on the balcony anyway. Either way, you can't lose with these rooms - they are great!

Thanks for these (and everyone's!) comments!

One more question: for a Reflection Caribbean cruise, would you prefer a 1B on deck 9 (flat side of hump), or a forward-looking 1A on deck 8 (8224-8226)? Assume 1B is $40 cheaper per stateroom. Does height matter between 8 and 9?

Edited by Opie

Thanks for these (and everyone's!) comments!

One more question: for a Reflection Caribbean cruise, would you prefer a 1B on deck 9 (flat side of hump), or a forward-looking 1A on deck 8 (8224-8226)? Assume 1B is $40 cheaper per stateroom. Does height matter between 8 and 9?

I would prefer a 1A - 8226 has a huge balcony with bed by the bath. I would go with that one.