Open Passage Certificate - difficulty using it

excitedofharpenden

I had no problem at all using two of the above certificates this year in the UK, one of which was for the double upgrade offer. In fact, I have never had a problem using them in the past that I remember and I usually buy a couple each time we cruise.

Jenni

Our TA says that there should be no problem combining an OPC with any Azamara promotion, however they can't be applied to any TA packaged deals as TA's use a different restricted rate for these.

So it might look like an Azamara deal, with for example, flights added, but in reality it could well be an exclusive deal to that agent. Very difficult for customers to tell the difference, thankfully we have a good relationship with our agent who is able to clearly explain the deal, in fact we currently have one such booking for a Hurtigruten cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our TA says that there should be no problem combining an OPC with any Azamara promotion, however they can't be applied to any TA packaged deals as TA's use a different restricted rate for these.

So it might look like an Azamara deal, with for example, flights added, but in reality it could well be an exclusive deal to that agent. Very difficult for customers to tell the difference, thankfully we have a good relationship with our agent who is able to clearly explain the deal, in fact we currently have one such booking for a Hurtigruten cruise.

That makes sense, the one time I have had trouble with a booking (in this case it was shareholder credit denied when there were no perks at all on the booking) it was because I booked through an agent who had not told us there was a special rate being used.

I really think that UK booking conditions should require the agent to tell you up front and then you can make the decision to accept being part of a group rate or go elsewhere - only an individual can do the maths based on their own circumstances. The more the LCV discount you get, the more important the Open Cert is.

Edited by uktog

Strange as in my TA's experience they are applicable to any market rate deal offered by Azamara, but can't be used, and I quote, "they cannot be used with rates that are secret or exclusives with particular agent (s) such as net rates, tour operator rates, closed user group deals, etc".

In an attempt to get a definitive answer on this before I invest in any in August I have emailed Nicole for an answer, just to be sure.

Strange as in my TA's experience they are applicable to any market rate deal offered by Azamara, but can't be used, and I quote, "they cannot be used with rates that are secret or exclusives with particular agent (s) such as net rates, tour operator rates, closed user group deals, etc".

In an attempt to get a definitive answer on this before I invest in any in August I have emailed Nicole for an answer, just to be sure.

Thanks Riocca and just to be sure I'm going to speak to my travel agent to see if there are deals there that I'm not "seeing".

Phil

Thanks Riocca and just to be sure I'm going to speak to my travel agent to see if there are deals there that I'm not "seeing".

Phil

Just had it confirmed there is nothing "special" about the rates I get. Standard Azamara quoted fares, notwithstanding there are promo codes embedded in them. We need a list of them and what can and can't be combined.

Phil

Just had it confirmed there is nothing "special" about the rates I get. Standard Azamara quoted fares, notwithstanding there are promo codes embedded in them. We need a list of them and what can and can't be combined.

Phil

Totally agree - and perhaps Bonnie we can get them showing any US vs rest of the world differences (if any exist, I hope they do not but you never know) and also make sure the staff onboard have the same list of codes. As LCV incentives are important to guests and I am sure to Azamara re repeat business, this would be a set of information that would really help everyone.

Totally agree - and perhaps Bonnie we can get them showing any US vs rest of the world differences (if any exist, I hope they do not but you never know) and also make sure the staff onboard have the same list of codes. As LCV incentives are important to guests and I am sure to Azamara re repeat business, this would be a set of information that would really help everyone.

Yes, geographical clarity is a very good point too.

Phil

Every booking I make seems to be "best available rate" and that is one I've been told is not combinable. I've tried to use it on four cruises now without success. I'm confident I'm not being fobbed off as the story has been consistent although one agent at Azamara today did say to my travel agent that these could only be used to book onboard the ship. Try again! Doesn't instill me with much confidence. I'll just put it behind my ear for later.

Phil

Hi Phil,

we are looking into this. The "Best Available Rate" is set up in the system for 'new bookings' only, and that's what's making the system reject the combinability with Open Passage. The system thinks an Open Passage is an existing booking, but really it is a new booking (or maybe I should call it a "commitment for a new booking"?) and should by rights be combinable with Best Available.

Really sorry for all the rejections you're getting. Do write to RTwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com and see if he can help you (this applies to all UK guests reading this!) That office is fully aware of the discussion on this thread.

I've double checked and am told the Open Passages is not combinable with:

- Buy/Pay/Save (a low price guarantee offer, not combinable with anything)

- Net rates (rates negotiated by big operators, sometimes aka 'Group Rates')

- Interline/Travel Agent rates for seminars, familiarization trips

- Employee rates

They should be combinable with everything else!

Travel Agents that tell you they can never seem to use an Open Passage Certificate *may* belong to a travel consortium that has negotiated "net" rates in their system. Note: I say *may* because I am speculating on this. It is one possible answer. As Elbon mentions, in the past she was able to use her Open Passage Certificates by booking direct and then giving the booking to her agent. That would circumvent the possibility of her agent having Net Rates in her system, which would have popped back a "non combinable" message.

- Employee rates

Travel Agents that tell you they can never seem to use an Open Passage Certificate *may* belong to a travel consortium that has negotiated "net" rates in their system. Note: I say *may* because I am speculating on this. It is one possible answer. As Elbon mentions, in the past she was able to use her Open Passage Certificates by booking direct and then giving the booking to her agent. That would circumvent the possibility of her agent having Net Rates in her system, which would have popped back a "non combinable" message.

At one point I had several in my house.. I never had a problem when calling AZ.. unless something changed i had a month to switch it over to the agent. Last 8 cruises I booked on the ship. I honestly hope 2019 comes out in Dec when i am on the ship to get the best savings.

- Employee rates

Thank you Bonnie for the explanation. Don't we just love the IT gremlins!

Hi Phil,

we are looking into this. The "Best Available Rate" is set up in the system for 'new bookings' only, and that's what's making the system reject the combinability with Open Passage. The system thinks an Open Passage is an existing booking, but really it is a new booking (or maybe I should call it a "commitment for a new booking"?) and should by rights be combinable with Best Available.

Really sorry for all the rejections you're getting. Do write to RTwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com and see if he can help you (this applies to all UK guests reading this!) That office is fully aware of the discussion on this thread.

Bonnie, thanks for this and I understand as the OPCs do already have booking numbers attached to them which seems to cause an issue. I will write to Richard Twynam as you suggest and see what the state of play is using the Open Passages and hopefully he will be able to sort me out. Appreciate you getting involved in it.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Hi Phil. Did you sort this out as we hope to use ours shortly on the buy one, get one half pice offer?

Liz & Malcolm

Hi Liz. I emailed Richard Twynam yesterday and he emailed me back to say he was getting an answer on it and he would email me back with an answer ASAP. I'll keep you posted on this thread.

Phil

- Employee rates

Here's another "fly in the ointment"...I was told that the OPC could not be combined with the SBC offer we received as stock holders??? So...where does that fit in this scenario? LuAnn

Here's another "fly in the ointment"...I was told that the OPC could not be combined with the SBC offer we received as stock holders??? So...where does that fit in this scenario? LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

The shareholder benefit is managed at the Corporate level. There have been many CC discussions on the combinability and non-combinability of this benefit and various attempts on my part to get a positive decision for all of you on this.

I will ask about the Open Passage combinability with the shareholders' benefit but Corporate has the last word. Stay tuned.

Yes Luann I have flagged this up several times on these boards, any LCV related booking ie onboard or via an Open Passage certificate is not allowed the stockholders credit. It has been like this since the revision to the LCV scheme which introduced the booking concession. My personal view is that the stockholder scheme should be abandoned in its current format particularly as no guest having their loyalty recognised can participate in it. You would have thought stockholders who are loyal customers should be encouraged and positively recognised!

As an update to my original post I've today heard from Azamara UK MD Richard Twynam who confirms OPCs are combinable with best available rates and he was able to apply mine to one of the bookings I had previously made and advise my travel agent so that I continue to benefit from their discount. Richard did say that the team here had tried a dummy booking for me and it had worked ok so I'm not sure if it is an IT glitch or not. He is taking it up the line to Guatemala, just in case.

So all's well that ends well and I will be continuing to purchase these on the ship in future if I haven't done a Reserved Passage booking. Those wanting to purchase them or have them ready to use might like to bookmark this thread for reference. Thank you once again Azamara for sorting me out. It's always been a pleasure to deal with them if I've had an issue.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

As an update to my original post I've today heard from Azamara UK MD Richard Twynam who confirms OPCs are combinable with best available rates and he was able to apply mine to one of the bookings I had previously made and advise my travel agent so that I continue to benefit from their discount. Richard did say that the team here had tried a dummy booking for me and it had worked ok so I'm not sure if it is an IT glitch or not. He is taking it up the line to Guatemala, just in case.

So all's well that ends well and I will be continuing to purchase these on the ship in future if I haven't done a Reserved Passage booking. Those wanting to purchase them or have them ready to use might like to bookmark this thread for reference. Thank you once again Azamara for sorting me out. It's always been a pleasure to deal with them if I've had an issue.

Phil

Delighted to hear that it is sorted and whatever the problem was is also being checked out.

This post is of course very bad news for my Bank Manager who will now have to deal with the consequences of the information on my spending patterns on my upcoming cruises :)