Never ever buy EFFY jewerely

pisces68

I am sorry this happened to you and I might just get blasted for my response. I purchased my first Effy piece in 2008 in Grand Cayman, diamond studs. I wear them ALL day Everyday I take them off to clean and go back on. Never an issue. I have purchased on the Splendor just recently a Tanzanite ring, earrings necklace and bracelet. I wear them often and not a problem. Even my other cheaper pieces are holding up really well. I have blue diamonds from Effy and LOVE them no issues. Unfortunately what happened to you might have happened with ANY jewelry company. Like the post about Diamonds International ring. You never know. Just like a car, you could get a lemon. And ALL car companies have lemons. And as someone else said if they were to replace a stone for everyone they would go bankrupt. Unfortunately you will need to be persistent and it is quite frustrating. But to say not to buy from Effy due to your circumstance is not fair. It is your opinion and my opinion so to each there own.

Next time you get tempted to buy diamonds on a ship or island, ask them this:

What are the table and depth percentages?

What are the crown and pavillion angles?

How does it score on the HCA?

If they don't give you all of that, walk away.

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, google HCA or Holloway Cut Advisor and find the largest prosumer forum on the internet and read there and learn how to buy diamonds).

Edited by spleenstomper

Next time you get tempted to buy diamonds on a ship or island, ask them this:

What are the table and depth percentages?

What are the crown and pavillion angles?

How does it score on the HCA?

If they don't give you all of that, walk away.

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about, google HCA or Holloway Cut Advisor and find the largest prosumer forum on the internet and read there and learn how to buy diamonds).

This!

HCA can only be used on round cuts : )

Edited by crusin4funtimes

I had one bad experience with jewelry purchased in the Caribbean. It happened a while after purchase and didn't think I stood a chance with the merchant in St. Thomas. As luck would have it the manufacturer was located in Florida. I contacted them by phone and I was asked to email a photo of the piece showing their imprint. They authorized me to ship the item to them. After inspecting it they determined the gold wire used was faulty and contacted their insurer who covered the cost of a replacement. So it worked out in the end. But I considered myself very lucky and decided not to make any costly purchases where I cannot return it in person to the place of purchase.

Edited by cruise pup

Carnival is in on this, they get a big commission on everything sold, both on ship and in the Preferred shops in port.

First buyers need to be aware, know your prices, I got a "GREAT" deal too on a ring, 1/2 off then the "Shopper" got involved and got me more off, I was getting the Diamonds at 65% off, they would buy it back at its full value if I changed my mind. So i saved the tags, then got it appraised, it was valued at what i paid for it, as its retail price, Fast forward a year back on a cruise, same store, all tags and their printed receipt and offer to buy back. They agreed to take it for what I paid, not their tagged price, all of a sudden that was its value, I pointed out they showed the price of the rind 65% higher, they actual told me that's not its value. So if you want to pay full retail shop Carnival or its approved shops.

But to offer some help, call your Credit Card Company if you have in writing that the will do a full replacement the credit card company will help you fight, i hope you didn't just take a salesman word for it. I helped a friend fight for a damaged necklace, and once we got her Visa involved and they thought they would loose the sale, they were more willing to help.

• 5 months later...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an issue with Effy! I purchased my husband's wedding ring on board a Carnival cruise in January. Loved the ring and got a great 'deal' also! Beautiful 14K white gold band with 5 diamonds in it. My fiance at the time loved how it looked and how it felt. When we returned home from the cruise we had it appraised so we could put it on our insurance policy. Much to my surprise, the ring came back as 10K NOT 14K as was sold to me! I called Effy and went through several agents until I got to the supposed 'buyer'. He literally told me I was lying about the appraisal and that Effy never makes their jewelry with 10K gold. So being the nice Canadian, I decided to have it further appraised with more tests on the gold at my own expense. It came back again as 10K. So I called Effy back and again the agent told me the appraisals were wrong and that I could take the ring to The Bay store in Canada and they would tell me what was stamped in the gold. Are you kidding me???? They then said I could send the ring to New York City so they could test the gold themselves. Really? I even called Carnival and they said "that's too bad".... hmmmm.... Since our wedding was coming in June I didn't want to mess around and take a chance it would get lost or delayed in shipment so decided to just hold onto it in safekeeping until after the wedding. We had our ceremony on June 24th and the ring looked great! Two days later the band cracked and split while we were away on our honeymoon. I'm devastated! Something has to be done about this company! They are ripping people off and no one can touch them apparently. I just don't know what to do! I'm tempted to book a trip to NYC to confront them in person with the ring!

That's a shame of what happened to the ring. I do purchase some items on the ships in my over 25 years of cruising, but never expensive items like a ring, etc. that you mentioned. I will say I have purchased some very nice jewelry in St. Thomas, and what I(I always got "feed back" on CC here on jewelers there) bought, seemed to be worth what I paid or more when check out back here at home.

So glad your purchased worked out. I bought some Tanzanite studs from them at the Effy store right at the port in Grand Turk in 2015. I love them but the earrings hurt my ear lobes every time I wear them. I thought the soreness was because the studs are too large for my pierced ear holes.The last time I wore them, my ear lobes got a mild infection. I won't wear them any more. I'm thinking it may not be the size of the post but maybe these earrings aren't 14k gold like they said they are. I didn't pay a lot for them so I'm just going to save myself the trouble and take this as a lesson. No more Effy jewelry.

I am sorry this happened to you and I might just get blasted for my response. I purchased my first Effy piece in 2008 in Grand Cayman, diamond studs. I wear them ALL day Everyday I take them off to clean and go back on. Never an issue. I have purchased on the Splendor just recently a Tanzanite ring, earrings necklace and bracelet. I wear them often and not a problem. Even my other cheaper pieces are holding up really well. I have blue diamonds from Effy and LOVE them no issues. Unfortunately what happened to you might have happened with ANY jewelry company. Like the post about Diamonds International ring. You never know. Just like a car, you could get a lemon. And ALL car companies have lemons. And as someone else said if they were to replace a stone for everyone they would go bankrupt. Unfortunately you will need to be persistent and it is quite frustrating. But to say not to buy from Effy due to your circumstance is not fair. It is your opinion and my opinion so to each there own.

I love my EFFY Jewelery. I have never had a problem, however I did not purchase on board a ship I purchased from a reputable jeweler near my hometown in case something should happen. No matter who the designer is I would never ever buy jewelry on board a ship or in the ports.

I've seen so many threads on CC over the years like this. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. I would never consider buying "fine" jewelry on a cruise ship because of the many threads I've read on this topic. OP, I hope you get this resolved. I'm sorry it happened. Thanks for posting your story. Maybe it will prevent someone from being taken like you obviously were.

• 1 month later...

My partner and i were on a Sun Princess cruise in July this year (2017). While on that cruise my partner and i went into the Effy Jewelry store and found a gorgeous Tanzanite ring which i chose as my engagement ring. It was several sizes too big but, the ladies assured us that someone on shore would be able to resize it.

The ring was purchased based on the expert opinion of the staff, that it could be resized.

I have just come home today, after going to several jewelery stores, gutted because i was told the exact opposite! They CANNOT resize the ring. It is way too large and resizing would damage the ring setting etc.

This is absolutely unacceptable. We purchased the ring only because Effy staff (it was more than one person!) promised us it could be resized. I feel so angry and upset that we have been conned into purchasing a ring which i cannot use for its intended purpose.

I have message them today asking someone to contact me so an acceptable resolution can be achieved asap.

After reading these reviews, i doubt they will call or email back!:mad:

I am so so sorry that you are going thru this Birdie06. It's been such a long time but I do believe I am the original OP on this thread. After hundreds of angry phone calls and several weeks of not giving up we were finally able to get someone at the EFFY Corp to at least listen and try to help us. As it turns out the reason why my stone just 'fell out' was because of the resizing that was done to the ring (even though it was just up 1 size AND done by another EFFY store) As per EFFY NY, the ring should have never been resized as it did indeed damage the prongs. Since then the stone has been replaced, free of charge, from EFFY since they admitted it was their fault.

I honestly believe if not for the help of Claire @ EFFY in NY this would not have been resolved to our satisfaction. I would be happy to pass any information that I still have in hopes to have your situation resolved as well.

Doesn't Carnival guarantee the purchase if bought on their ship? I think RCI does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

We tried, believe me but they said 'No, once it's off the ship the jewelry company takes over' and that was at least 5 different Carnival Cruise employees :-(

I am not surprised at your story and I think Carnival and Effy guarantees their product. Be persistent. For the reasons and experience you stated, I would never purchase anything like that on a cruise ship or any where that I do not have recourse. I hope you either get your money back or have the ring repaired or replaced. You've got a tough road ahead of you - be persistent!

This link might help you!

http://www.highya.com/effy-jewelry-reviews

Not in the Caribbean, but it is very well documented that not only is it "safe" but also logical to buy black pearl jewelry from one of the three or four highly reputable stores in French Polynesia.

Mine appraised for more than 400% of what we paid for them with two independent GIAA appraisals by appraisers who do not work with each other in independent jewelry stores 100 miles away from each other. The shopping experience was completely low-key and zero pressure, and we remain thrilled with the purchase.

I would not buy any jewelry in the Caribbean unless it was easy on my budget and I was buying it because I liked it as opposed to because I thought I was getting a good deal. I definitely wouldn't trust any place a cruise line recommended, as it is well known that they get kickbacks for doing so.

I was so sorry to read this, and unfortunately it looks like the took you. :(

When I went into the jewelry store that I purchased my nice ring from, I had gone on CC to see what others would advise (I don't know if you had done this or not) of jeweler's to use. When I picked out the ring, I hesitated, as I knew it was too big. When I ask the price, they did come down some on that as well, before I had told them it was too big. They then told me if I wanted it, they would size it for me THERE. To make the long story short, I had my papers on it, but they told us we could do a little shopping and then come back and pick it up. I almost freaked out, as I saw them closing, but they said there was someone there waiting until I came back. On top of this, the box my ring is in (I have purchased other rings in St. Thomas, and have never had this), it has their name, address and phone number. So this way, if I had to get ahead of them, the info was right in the box. There was no additional charge to have it size down as well. I did tell them that I go to CC and write reports, and "word of mouth" is your best or worst customer. Whether that made a difference, I don't know, but then as I said, others had recommended this jewelry store on CC too.

• 5 months later...
Hi,

As of Today, EFFY JEWELERS CORP, of New York City has a F rating with Better Business Bureau and is not Accredited by them...Why Carnival does Business with them is Beyond Me??

All The Best

Mike

Yes, and the other EFFY with the same New York address has a D+ rating. It is unfortunate that Carnival has decided to keep their contract with EFFY. I wonder how much it would cost to remove them from their ships?

How much revenue is actually made by shops onboard, especially ones like EFFY?