Diamonds International is a scam!

Elcid88

Don't waste your time listening to your ships so called "shopping experts" tell you about all of the free stuff you are going to get at Diamonds International; as well as at all of the other stores the cruise industry pushes.

We went to the initial shopping seminar to learn about unique opportunities for Alaskan items. However it turned into an hour long advertisement for the stores that were in cahoots with our cruise line and all others.

We smelled this one right away, but heard of others being duped all we long an in every port. There was a big group of farmers on our boot this week and they have wasted a lot of time trying to collect the free "gifts" as well as wasted a lot of time on Diamonds International and all the other sorry vendors.

Did a little research and found this out. My only concern is that if this vendor has so many complaints and is obviously a scam, then why is Celebrity and the other cruise lines in bed with them??? I know it is for money, but can't believe they would perpetuate this on hardworking folks that don't know any better.

See link below:

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/jewelers-retail/diamonds-international-in-new-york-ny-7969/complaints/

I have NEVER been able to figure out the cruise + gems thing, except that gems don't weigh much to transport? There much be a backstory to how it all happened.

The ships and the ports could get a lot more shopping money out of me ... For almost ANYTHING else.

Edited by AdoraBelle

... We went to the initial shopping seminar to learn about unique opportunities for Alaskan items. However it turned into an hour long advertisement for the stores that were in cahoots with our cruise line and all others.

I'm not sure if you have cruised a lot in the past, but many of us already know this to be true. There are numerous threads about DI on these boards, as well as a lot of online information, should someone want to investigate it.

Caveat emptor - at sea, in ports, on vacation, at home. :)

On our first few cruises, the ships had lecturers who gave interesting info about the ports along with a few shopping tips. I hate to see how these talks grew into a marketing scheme. Some cruises still have separate port lecturers who don't do the shopping spiels.

It's always "buyers beware " when purchasing items of value especially while traveling.

When it comes to something like jewelry, I'd rather buy it close to home from a reputable seller. Easy to have follow up service.

And anything offered as "free" obviously is to lure in customers. No one should be surprised with that practice.

My wife and I quit working as naturalists precisely because of these hard-sell techniques from the cruise lines promoting certain retailers that come up here from the Caribbean. Most of these jewelry stores carry very little that is local to Alaska.

My wife and I quit working as naturalists precisely because of these hard-sell techniques from the cruise lines promoting certain retailers that come up here from the Caribbean. Most of these jewelry stores carry very little that is local to Alaska.

Sorry, what do you mean when you say this caused you to quit working as "naturalists"?

We no longer even go into any of the "recommended" shops! Being from Canada we have a limited amount we can bring back duty free, yet the sales people pounce as we enter the shop, and keep pushing us to buy something we can't afford for at least 3 or 4 times our limit, claiming it was a such great deal!! They were pushy! We have found great deals from the smaller (friendly) vendors away from the main drag and will continue to support them! And the items they sell are generally genuine Alaskan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, what do you mean when you say this caused you to quit working as "naturalists"?

Twice we had scheduled presentations canceled and/or moved because of these shopping "infomercials". We would be scheduled and then told that they had to do the shopping programs. After a few times, we simply said this was not the environment we wanted to work in and so gave up the naturalist stint.

There are exceptions of course but I don't think the cruise lines value offering an educational experience about Alaska.

Edited by Chenega

When we go to Alaska it is for Alaska. If we shop it is to pick up something that has been made in Alaska.

My recommendation is to purchase jewelry at home from a reputable jeweler and to spend the short time you have in Alaska enjoying Alaska.

Keith

My husband and I also learned the hard way about those port shopping talks. Wasted a lot of time when we could be doing something else, outside, just to see if we won something from a drawing. I'm hoping that there are port talks on the Alaska cruise that concentrate on just that...the ports and the wonderful things we'll see!

The best advice for me, is to first, have a list in mind of who you are shopping for and what their likes are. Then let Google and trusted traveler recommendations be your friend. I've already decided, for Alaska, which stores I will be shopping in, and what items I will be looking for, preferably Alaskan made. It will save time and energy to just go in and get what I was really wanting, instead of wasting valuable port time browsing all the stores and getting aggravated. Just my 2 cents, of course :D

I was a sucker on my first Royal Caribbean cruise to the western Caribbean in 2005. I bought the $25 coupon book, and wasted time in the ports looking for the shops to pick up my "free" gifts. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I didn't buy anything, as I'm not into jewelry.

I'm not much of a shopper at all, so I bought only a WP&YR train ornament, a few t-shirts, and an Ulu knife on my first Alaska cruise. Whether items are made in Alaska or China - I don't need to bring home any more "stuff" from my travels.

If we shop it is to pick up something that has been made in Alaska.

Only thing on our shopping list will be a new Ulu knife. After 15 years of heavy use the one we got last time just doesn't sharpen well anymore. Only ever seen them in Alaska and probably made in China anyway but for my one handed wife it's great for chopping stuff.

ulu-knife.jpg

We also have never understood buying jewelry at ports or art on a cruise. Art on shore OK if it is NW coastal Indian art which I do collect.

beavertattoo_small_5526.jpg

I think that using the word "scam" is a bit of a stretch. I am not trying to defend DI and only suckers believe what they hear in shopping "seminars". However, people have the responsibility to do due diligence before buying stuff and if they are too stupid or gullible to believe everything that they hear, it is not our job to protect them from themselves. To slightly misquote P.T. Barnum, - a fool and their money are soon parted.

It always amazes me that people who watch their money and do not make stupid purchases when they are on land immediately make fools of themselves as soon as they get on a ship.

DON

I think that using the word "scam" is a bit of a stretch.

DON

Agree. Different business practices doesn't make something a scam.

Taking personal responsibility how one decides to spend their time or money is more the lesson.

What items are true Alaskan items in the line of jewelry?

Any item that carries the symbols of either a silver hand or a polar bear with her cub, is an item that has been made or handcrafted in Alaska. The silver hand indicates an item handcrafted by an Alaskan native using native Alaskan materials as much as possible. The polar bear and cub indicate an item made by a resident artist, craftsperson, or manufacturer. Bear in mind that the locally-made articles are not cheap. That's another sign of authenticity!

The local stores in the ports will carry a sign on their doors or windows stating that they are a locally owned and operated business. Those are the places where you want to shop.

You can find more information about local stores and shopping at the Visitor's Bureau websites for each Alaskan port.

My personal favorites are in in Ketchikan at the Scanlon Gallery (reasonable) and the Arctic Spirit Gallery (expensive):

http://www.scanlongallery.com/

http://www.arcticspiritgallery.com/

Another favorite is the Sitka Rose Gallery in Sitka:

http://sitkarosegallery.com/

But there are many more options in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, etc.

Have fun shopping!:)

Edited by middle-aged mom

What items are true Alaskan items in the line of jewelry?

There's lots of nice, local crafted jewelry - also available for considerably less than anything you'd get at Diamonds International. I bought a nice set of mammoth ivory pendant and earrings for a total of $150 (after googling to make sure mammoth ivory was legal, unlike elephant ivory), a pair of gold and Canadian jade earrings in Vancouver for about $30CA, and just some small costume jewelry earrings - the "Northern Lights" glass and "gold flake". Nothing terribly fancy, but pretty and local.

• 1 year later...

My experience with DI was so bad, I've had to turn it over to my charge card to handle. Our NCL "SHOPPING PRO" lied to us, and Diamonds International are the absolute worst for customer service. PLEASE, take your money and run! I've been on over 60 cruises and every ship, every where you look, it's "DI" "DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL".

They lied to our face about everything including trying to pass Sterling Silver off as 14K white gold. They will stoop to anything to get your money. Take my advice..get the free charm and run like the wind!

I am not trying to defend DI but I suspect that you do not know the meaning of the word "scam" and you are suing to suggest that DI treats their customers badly. I have no doubt that this is probably true. However - this is the dictionary definition of "scam"

- fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

• an insurance scam

If you went into DI with the coupon for the free whatever they promise you, will the give it to? This means that the offer is not a scam. True that they will try to sell you other stuff. That is totally irrelevant. True that you may waste time in port to get a free trinket - that is also totally irrelevant. True that buying jewelry on a cruise is not smart - also irrelevant.

If they give you what they say that they were going to give you, it is not a scam.

Learn the definition of words before you use them.

DON

I am not trying to defend DI but I suspect that you do not know the meaning of the word "scam" and you are suing to suggest that DI treats their customers badly. I have no doubt that this is probably true. However - this is the dictionary definition of "scam"

- fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

• an insurance scam

If you went into DI with the coupon for the free whatever they promise you, will the give it to? This means that the offer is not a scam. True that they will try to sell you other stuff. That is totally irrelevant. True that you may waste time in port to get a free trinket - that is also totally irrelevant. True that buying jewelry on a cruise is not smart - also irrelevant.

If they give you what they say that they were going to give you, it is not a scam.

Learn the definition of words before you use them.

DON

I hope you aren't replying to me because I never used the word "scam." Hopefully you got me confused with someone else.