Uniworld vs Viking questions

Hapytocruise

Uniworld decor looks like a museum or funeral home. Guess some people like that but not for me.

It is definitely not my preference but the rooms, service, food, and inclusions were all top notch.

I really disliked the generic Ikea look of the Viking Longboats I have toured. They felt cheap and basic IMO.

I can stand overlook the frou frou of Uniworld for the overall experience.

YMMV

Uniworld decor looks like a museum or funeral home. Guess some people like that but not for me.

It is definitely not my preference but the rooms, service, food, and inclusions were all top notch.

I really disliked the generic Ikea look of the Viking Longboats I have toured. They felt cheap and basic IMO.

I can stand overlook the frou frou of Uniworld for the overall experience.

YMMV

That's why we chose AMA -- neither frou frou nor IKEA, just understated elegance and top food and service.

That's why we chose AMA -- neither frou frou nor IKEA, just understated elegance and top food and service.

I agree and AMA is still our favorite. AmaSerena and AmaCerto are the two prettiest ships we have sailed on across four lines.

When comparing Uniworld and Viking, for us there is no area in which Viking wins.

Edited by caviargal

It isn't the way I decorate my home but some of the art work and decor is spectacular and each ship is unique. We adjusted to it very quickly and when combined with the wonderful service on board it created a very lovely atmosphere.

My septuagenarian memory may be better than I had realized. Today I received a brochure from Viking with special prices for nearly all of its cruises from January through October 2017 in Europe, Russia and China. To take advantage of these, one must book by 31 August 2016 and pay in full by 30 September 2016. It may well be a very good deal to pay up to a year or more in advance to get these prices--but I have known Viking in the past to reopen its special price offers after the initial deadline has passed.

...I have known Viking in the past to reopen its special price offers after the initial deadline has passed.
Viking is the master of fake sales. It is common for them to offer "special" prices (good this month only!) And then have the same price next month and the one after that ad nauseum.:mad:

Thom

I can't in any more emphatic way endorse Uniworld. I won't go into great detail because many of the reasons why are covered in this thread already. I will give you an anecdote about my experience with them that was endearing.

I took my second cruise with them in March of '15 with my wife and another couple. After I got back from the trip I sought and found the email of a Uniworld executive and sent a note telling him how much I enjoyed the trip and why. At the end of the message I put a tongue in cheek note about the bar not having blue cheese olives for my vodka martinis.

My next Uniworld cruise after I checked in I went straight up to the bar for a cocktail. I did not even say "hi" to the bartender yet when she said "Hello Mr. Los_Pepes, Vodka Martini w/ blue cheese olives?" It was a simple gesture that engendered my loyalty to the brand forever.

I don't see myself ever sailing another line unless I am presented with an absolute screaming deal. That deal had better be almost free since my wife loves Uniworld even more than I do.

I have sailed both lines. Viking in China and Uniworld in Europe. In fact, I just booked our 11th Uniworld cruise.

A good judge of a company is how it reacts when something goes wrong. A few years ago we were on a Uniworld Paris to Normandy cruise on the Seine. Lockmasters were on strike the week before our cruise and when the locks reopened a barge got stuck in the last lock we were supposed to traverse before we headed to Normandy. The lock was broken and we, and other, ships had to dock on the "wrong side" of the locks. This meant a slightly longer bus ride.

Uniworld apologized for the inconvenience and rather than bussing back for lunch, gave everyone 30 Euros for lunch in town. They opened the bar (free drinks) for the rest of the cruise and made an unscheduled evening sail so people could enjoy the scenery. As a surprise, they also gave everyone $500 off their next cruise.

A Viking boat was next to us and their cruisers got a box lunch.

Yep, that sounds like Uniworld, Los Pepes and fred111. Our Rhone trip turned into a bus trip due to high water between Lyon and Avignon. The ship was able to move from port to port but passengers were not allowed during the moves. Our bus trips provided delicious lunches in upscale restaurants and interesting excursions (except the uncomfortable steam train ride out of Tournon) as well as the walking tours of the ports. Some of the excursions were ones that originally would have been the optional ones that cost extra. It wasn't Uniworld's fault about the high water, of course, but we were compensated $2000 each toward a future cruise, so we're booked for Egypt in January.

Having said that, and in spite of perqs we receive as repeat customers, if we were to try another line, it would be AMA based on what we've read on CC.

Yep, that sounds like Uniworld, Los Pepes and fred111. Our Rhone trip turned into a bus trip due to high water between Lyon and Avignon. The ship was able to move from port to port but passengers were not allowed during the moves. Our bus trips provided delicious lunches in upscale restaurants and interesting excursions (except the uncomfortable steam train ride out of Tournon) as well as the walking tours of the ports. Some of the excursions were ones that originally would have been the optional ones that cost extra. It wasn't Uniworld's fault about the high water, of course, but we were compensated $2000 each toward a future cruise, so we're booked for Egypt in January.

Having said that, and in spite of perqs we receive as repeat customers, if we were to try another line, it would be AMA based on what we've read on CC.

$2k is quite the compensation. Enjoy Egypt and post reports.

We haven't cruised with Uniworld, but we cruised with Viking this past June. I have to say that on our cruise, when we had issues with the high river, they really went out of their way to compensate. Our bus ride to Strasbourg ended up being longer than expected as we were docked in an alternate port and they took everyone to lunch in a very nice restaurant. As there were still issues the following day with the river and we had to disembark a day early, they opened the bar on our final evening for complimentary drinks. When we returned home, the sent us a voucher for 30% off a future cruise which we didn't expect as the high river was affecting all the cruise lines and not just them.

where does avalon fit into to the list from top to bottom ??

It depends on who's list. Many have perceived lists after reading complaints and accolades on CC, and my guess is there are very few who have travelled with more than 2 or 3 different lines with actual experiences. The 'sticky' at the top of the page will probably help you see a rating for Avalon.

RB

where does avalon fit into to the list from top to bottom ??

You can see my cruising history in my signature. My personal ranking, based on my own experiences (which do not and will not include Viking) is:

#1 AMA

#2 Uniworld

#3 Scenic

#4 Avalon

We would sail again on all but Avalon. YMMV

Edited by caviargal

Hi, wanted to let you know that we have a handy article called Viking vs. Uniworld. :)

Found the comparison very interesting. We just returned from a Douro River Cruise on Uniworld. This was our first river cruise. We have done many ocean cruises in the past. We had a wonderful experience on the ship. Do have to note for anyone reading this forum that the Douro River cruises are different than most of the cruises on Uniworld as most of the staff on the ship were not Uniworld employees. However, based on our experience we would definitely sail with Uniworld again.

Edited by nettarj