Naughty Room on HAL

Yehootu

I don't smuggle, I pack. 36 cruises on 8 different lines (last 4 on HAL) always bring a bottle of vodka, vermouth, and brandy. we have a drink in the cabin prior to dinner each night and a night cap. Not trying to save money in fact if they had an extra surcharge of 50 dollars that would be fine with me. I want the brands I like poured in the strengths I like, immediately and not waiting for room service.

Never had a bottle taken from luggage on any of the cruises.

Does anyone know if one can purchase a one litre bottle of a brand they normally drink, from either the tax free shop or a HAL bar & drink it in their cabin if it's not on the indulgences list ?

I drink Capt. Morgan SPICED RUM & HAL does not have it on the indulgences list.:( Believe we were able to find it in the tax free shop but that was only to carry home..

Bacardi is not my favorite & don't know what Myers dark rum tastes like.. I'm not a big drinker & don't normally take a full shot of liquor in any drink.. Only use 1/2 shot so a bottle lasts a long time, unless it's Baileys.:) LOL

It would be nice to enjoy a Capt. Morgan & Pepsi on our balcony since we normally don't book balcony cabins.. Yes, understand HAL only sells coke but I'll be happy to bring the Pepsi..

When we're out & about the we'll use our Beverage Cards for coffee's & drinks including Capt. Morgan..

Thanks..

I have on several occasions pre ordered Cruzan Vanilla Rum through Special services. If they have notice they special order it for you to be delivered to your state room. You CAN have what you want :) even if it is not on their list.

I don't smuggle, I pack. 36 cruises on 8 different lines (last 4 on HAL) always bring a bottle of vodka, vermouth, and brandy. we have a drink in the cabin prior to dinner each night and a night cap. Not trying to save money in fact if they had an extra surcharge of 50 dollars that would be fine with me. I want the brands I like poured in the strengths I like, immediately and not waiting for room service.

Never had a bottle taken from luggage on any of the cruises.

Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure once on board you can buy any bottle that the bars stock, but not from the shop.[/size]

I have on several occasions pre ordered Cruzan Vanilla Rum through Special services. If they have notice they special order it for you to be delivered to your state room. You CAN have what you want :) even if it is not on their list.

Thanks..

Compared to RCCL's draconian policies HAL is great. I would see no need at all to smuggle. RCCL won't allow buying a bottle onboard for cabin consumption. When I had our Rum Runners I used one for having a Brandy nightcap in the cabin. Room service was way too slow. HAL's policy completely fixes that. The bottle rates are only a little more than liquor store prices in the Seattle area and even without the Explore 4 drink package the drink prices are reasonable - same or lower than Seattle restaurants or bars.

I absolutely agree. It is so much easier to buy our preferred libation from Guest Services, long before we sail. It is in the stateroom when we arrive. No worry and no hassle. No more Rum Runner flasks or trips to the Naughty Room. The price of the bottle ordered is very reasonable. So very easy. (Of course...we never tried Shamboozle to see if they worked as stated...lol)

Thank you :). I didn't realize this. Will order from them for DH. that's a marvellous tip :)

On the Oosterdam I believe, my husbands bag did not show up in our room and we received a msg on the phone to come to the front desk on embarkation.

My husband had Swiss Army knife in the side pocket on his bag and said they will hold it until our cruise ended and he could come get it.

This was back in 2006 when we did a cruise to South Pacific.

Denise:)

PS he did mention a long line of fellow passengers waiting!

Denise:)

Did I miss a memo? I'm a fairly seasoned cruiser and I'm never without my Swiss Army knife. I find it invaluable for all the times I find myself unexpectedly needing to scale a mountain or a fish. :rolleyes:

So, have I been breaking the rules all these years?

It is so much easier to buy our preferred libation from Guest Services, long before we sail. It is in the stateroom when we arrive. No worry and no hassle. No more Rum Runner flasks or trips to the Naughty Room. The price of the bottle ordered is very reasonable.

Agreed. As a veteran smuggler on other lines, I saw no reason to even bother on our most recent cruise on HAL. I simply ordered what I wanted in advance, at a reasonable price, and it was sitting there waiting for us.

Well strictly speaking I guess I did smuggle. We had a couple leftover airplane bottles from our flight out and I smuggled them in my pocket rather than throw them away.

Yes, TSA completely doesn't care if you put a bunch of 50ml liquor bottles in your one-quart clear ziplock liquids container. :D

Agreed. As a veteran smuggler on other lines, I saw no reason to even bother on our most recent cruise on HAL. I simply ordered what I wanted in advance, at a reasonable price, and it was sitting there waiting for us.

Well strictly speaking I guess I did smuggle. We had a couple leftover airplane bottles from our flight out and I smuggled them in my pocket rather than throw them away.

Yes, TSA completely doesn't care if you put a bunch of 50ml liquor bottles in your one-quart clear ziplock liquids container. :D

LOL....this sure brings back memories!

Have a few questions to anyone who has pre-ordered liquor:

1) What would be a reasonable price.. Total Wine sells 1 litre of Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum for about $20 plus 6% tax in Florida...What should I expect to pay on HAL?

2) Did you phone HAL or e-mail them? If e-mail do you happen to have their address?

3) Should I give them my Credit Card or will they charge our On Board account..

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions..:)

Cheers & Happy Sailing!:D

If you order in advance, it will be charged to your credit card; have the number handy. Request that the bottle be delivered "at sea", and you won't be charged Florida sales tax. The odds are it will be in your cabin when you board anyway! :D

Cheers.

1) What would be a reasonable price.. Total Wine sells 1 litre of Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum for about $20 plus 6% tax in Florida...What should I expect to pay on HAL?

2) Did you phone HAL or e-mail them? If e-mail do you happen to have their address?

There's not a hard and fast correlation between retail prices and "room service prices." For some spirits, the cost is about 2x Total Wine. For others, it's higher. If you know your vodka prices, see the ones in the PDF below. You'll see what I mean.

Roger (Crew News) was kind enough to post this scan of the room service liquor list. Prices should be what you would pay to pre-order.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Spirits-and-Beer-for-Stateroom.pdf

The HAL prices are for one liter bottles and are really reasonable compared to normal hotel room service - at least in my experience.

Also be aware that you aren't limited to the list. You can get most anything the ship stocks. Exceptions might be something that is a low volume, low stock item. But if you are looking for normal things, you should be OK.

I'm pretty sure that Roger's list is from this year, but the prices on the HAL site for pre-order are higher. They may include the service charge.

You pay for the pre orders ahead of time. You can order once you get on the ship instead if you wish.

Just to add to the other info you have had Betty, when you order be sure to give them your email so that you get a confirming email and bring it with you like you would your other ship board purchase confirmations.

I'm pretty sure that Roger's list is from this year, but the prices on the HAL site for pre-order are higher. They may include the service charge.

You pay for the pre orders ahead of time. You can order once you get on the ship instead if you wish.

The HAL site for pre-orders does include the service charge.

Thanks for the "heads up" that with the latest Specialty Restaurant price increases, the beverages must have increased as well.

The Wine Packages, Spirits and Beer for Stateroom, and Wine and Champagne for Stateroom lists have been updated on my website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/

Of note is the deletion of Sambuca, big increases in beer package prices, and an estimated 25% increase in spirits prices.

The 15% Service Charge is included in the prices.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks for the "heads up" that with the latest Specialty Restaurant price increases, the beverages must have increased as well.

The Wine Packages, Spirits and Beer for Stateroom, and Wine and Champagne for Stateroom lists have been updated on my website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/

Of note is the deletion of Sambuca, big increases in beer package prices, and an estimated 25% increase in spirits prices.

The 15% Service Charge is included in the prices.

Fortunately, we paid the same price (ordered last month) for our J&B Scotch on our Feb 2017 sailing as we did on our April 2015 sailing....through the HAL website (Gifts & Services). I always seem to order early....so it is one less thing on my 'list' to do.

At nearly every port we have been at -- Alaska, Caribbean and repositioning cruises from Ft Lauderdale to either San Diego or Seattle -- there was a table set up right at the end of the security scan machine for those people trying to bring alcohol on board.

[/font]

And that liquor table in San Diego always looked like a well stocked bar by the end of the day ! It was amazing how much booze was in people's carry-ons.

Including a bottle of expensive Scotch belonging to the ship's chaplain.

He raised a fuss at check-in and HAL gave it back to him. :)

• 1 month later...
I'm going with someone who has proven knowledge in this area:

Mary Ellen.. I realize this is an old thread but when I try to print up your post it is too small for me to read.. Tried doing a copy & paste but that would not work either.. Usually my copy & paste does work but not on your Bruce Muzz's

post..

Would you be so kind as to give me the URL for Bruce Muzz's post so I could try to copy & paste the original..I would like to give a copy to someone but need to be able to have larger print that we can read..

Thanks so much.

Amazing that HAL is part of the same Carnival group as Cunard whose alcohol policies are relaxed and generous.

There is a recent post on the Cunard section of the forum. Read and weep!

Why does every one assume that Carnival makes the rules for HAL.. Carnival Corp. is only the Parent company..

Each company makes their own decisions about things like this.. And that is why HAL's rules are completely different than Cunard's rules..