Naughty Room on HAL

Yehootu

Amazing that HAL is part of the same Carnival group as Cunard whose alcohol policies are relaxed and generous.

There is a recent post on the Cunard section of the forum. Read and weep!

If tt maTers so much gto you, why not skipttghe weeping and simply sail V Cunsrd ather rhan HAL Believe it or not, HAL'd polivcy is jusz fine by domr og ud.. I DON'T CARE. :Dt Certaainly no somethjjing to wererp over. I havew 'real things in my life worth weeping over and HA;'s liqauor policy doens exist on my llis'

Would you be so kind as to give me the URL for Bruce Muzz's post so I could try to copy & paste the original...

It easy to just get it yourself.

On the part of your post that quotes Mary Ellen there is a little blue box with a small arrow in it next to Mary Ellen's name. If you click on that blue arrow it takes you back to Mary Ellen's post.

Then, in her post is the quote from Bruce Muzz, with the same kind of blue box and arrow. Click on that and it takes you to his original post.

On the part of your post that quotes Mary Ellen there is a little blue box with a small arrow in it next to Mary Ellen's name. If you click on that blue arrow it takes you back to Mary Ellen's post.

Then, in her post is the quote from Bruce Muzz, with the same kind of blue box and arrow. Click on that and it takes you to his original post.

Jeez, am I dumb, or what? (Wait, don't answer that question, LOL:D) I've been on these boards for 11 years now, and I just learned about this nifty feature, thanks to you, Ruth.

Jeez, am I dumb, or what? (Wait, don't answer that question, LOL:D) I've been on these boards for 11 years now, and I just learned about this nifty feature, thanks to you, Ruth.

You're welcome.

The programming that CC uses has some really neat little shortcuts. I don't remember how I found that one, but reading all the posts when CC converted to new programming years ago taught me a lot of them.

Mary Ellen.. I realize this is an old thread but when I try to print up your post it is too small for me to read.. Tried doing a copy & paste but that would not work either.. Usually my copy & paste does work but not on your Bruce Muzz's

post..

Would you be so kind as to give me the URL for Bruce Muzz's post so I could try to copy & paste the original..I would like to give a copy to someone but need to be able to have larger print that we can read..

Thanks so much.

Here's a link to his original post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32226181&postcount=10

Hope it works for you.

I am normally inclined to follow the rules and will willingly pay $38 on board for my bottle of Jim Beam and the $18 corkage fee for any bottles of wine beyond the first bottle when I board a HAL ship shortly. But I need a splash of Vermouth each night for my Manhattan. I can buy a bottle of vermouth for $4.99 locally, but to buy a bottle on board is $56! Can those of you who are upset with the "rule breakers" help me understand why I need to pay 10 times the normal price for vermouth? (and I did try to carry it on with the approach that vermouth is wine, but it's a "fortified wine" which means it's the equivalent of alcohol and not allowed.) Otherwise, I may try to find a way to get a small amount of vermouth on board somehow. Thanks for your advice or your understanding!

I read this about people getting too drunk with their own alcohol so then why do they sell drink packages?

Silly question - they sell drink packages because some passengers want them. Even with a drink package, the bar tenders will refuse to serve someone who has had too much - just as they would refuse to serve someone who did not have a drink package but had had too much to drink.

Have sailed both and will continue to do so. My point was the difference in alcohol policies from two cruise lines both under the Carnival Corp umbrella.

Sorry you took offence at my throw away comment.

Worry not-----most people would have been aware that you were using a very common expression and really weren't likening the HAL policy to a life changing experience. ;):)

Nine years on CC and I am just learning about a feature that has been staring me in the face all this time! Thanks for pointing it out. It will be useful.

I am normally inclined to follow the rules and will willingly pay $38 on board for my bottle of Jim Beam and the $18 corkage fee for any bottles of wine beyond the first bottle when I board a HAL ship shortly. But I need a splash of Vermouth each night for my Manhattan. I can buy a bottle of vermouth for $4.99 locally, but to buy a bottle on board is $56! Can those of you who are upset with the "rule breakers" help me understand why I need to pay 10 times the normal price for vermouth? (and I did try to carry it on with the approach that vermouth is wine, but it's a "fortified wine" which means it's the equivalent of alcohol and not allowed.) Otherwise, I may try to find a way to get a small amount of vermouth on board somehow. Thanks for your advice or your understanding!

It is what it is. If the bottle is too expensive and you just want a "splash" then why not buy two drinks at happy hour, bring them back to the room and have them later for your Manhattan. You could easily store it in another container to keep it fresh.

Mary Ellen.. I realize this is an old thread but when I try to print up your post it is too small for me to read.. Tried doing a copy & paste but that would not work either.. Usually my copy & paste does work but not on your Bruce Muzz's

post..

Would you be so kind as to give me the URL for Bruce Muzz's post so I could try to copy & paste the original..I would like to give a copy to someone but need to be able to have larger print that we can read..

Thanks so much.

Betty, here is both the URL and His original Post from back on January 31st 2012:

Direct URL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32226181&postcount=10

Original Post (#10)

QUOTE " I have managed many ships for several different cruise lines. Occasionally in the past we experimented with confiscating alcohol one crusie and then allowing it onboard the next cruise.

We were quite surprised to learn that onboard revenues were rarely affected by these actions. We made as much bar revenue while confiscating alcohol as we did when we allowed passengers to bring it onboard.

But there were other issues that were affected by our actions.

When we confiscated alcohol, we had far fewer complaints from passengers that their neighbors were partying in their cabins and keeping everyone awake.

We also had far fewer accidents where drunk passengers were falling down and breaking bones.

We had fewer fights where drunks were punching each other over really silly things.

We had fewer cabins trashed by drunk partiers.

We had fewer drunk people falling overboard.

And most importantly, we had far fewer lawsuits from people who brought their own alcohol onboard, got drunk in their cabins, got into some sort of trouble, and then sued the cruise line for millions for getting them drunk.

Most of these were frivolous lawsuits that were thrown out of court. But the cruise lines still had to pay big legal fees to defend themselves until the charges were thrown out. At one point, the cruise line I worked for had over $500 Million in frivolous lawsuits to defend.

The US Courts ruled that they would be more willing to dismiss the bulk of these charges if the cruise lines could demonstrate that we had a relatively tight control of alcohol consumption on our vessels.

By limiting and controlling what is brought onboard, establishing Responsible Service of Alcohol Training for all servers, making regulations for refusing to serve drunks, and keeping prices comparable to those on shore, the cruise lines convinced the courts that we are making a serious effort to control drunkenness on our ships. The courts in turn have been very cooperative in refusing to entertain frivolous lawsuits from those who still manage to get themselves drunk on ships.

Unfortunately when you deal with the masses on a mass market ship, the bad behaviour of a few has unfortunate consequences for all of us.

The directive to confiscate alcohol did not come from our Revenue Department, but from our Legal Department.

" UNQUOTE

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Silly question - they sell drink packages because some passengers want them. Even with a drink package, the bar tenders will refuse to serve someone who has had too much - just as they would refuse to serve someone who did not have a drink package but had had too much to drink.

Maybe true but in the post I replied to was saying people drink in their cabins with the booze they brought on and get drunk, fight, fall, have loud parties in their room etc. What about the bottle they purchased on board to drink in their room after drinking at the bars with their free or purchased drink packages? The point I'm trying to make is that if someone likes to drink a lot they will do that if they purchase it or smuggle it on. The OP stated it was a legal issue that passengers cannot bring on their own bottles because people get drunk, fall and file lawsuits. Does it become a less damaging lawsuit if they get drunk and fall on purchased alcohol?

I don't know what ship the OP worked on that had so many drunks. I've personally never seen this on a cruise ship but I'm sure their are some people that want to start fights and have loud parties in their room.

I'm a beer drinker so don't smuggle bottles but I have been on lenient booze rules ships (Oceania) and I haven't seen any problems that ever.

Nine years on CC and I am just learning about a feature that has been staring me in the face all this time! Thanks for pointing it out. It will be useful.

It's the old "give a fish vs. teach to fish" mentality. I would rather help enable someone to be able to do for themselves next time.

to make your drinks, just put it in a plastic water bottle and carry it in your purse or backpack when boarding. It won't show up on the xray. It's stupid to spend $54 for something you will use very little from. I don't think that this is an outrage or that you would be a smuggler, just smart.

OK, before the morality police jump me, this thread is for a newbe to cruising that feels he can out smart the system. He asked about bringing alcohol onboard. I hope I can forward some thoughts to him to convince him it's not worth it. It's ben along time since I've been on a HAL ship, so any tales might enlighten him.

Mahalo, Tim

It will go one of two ways:

He tries and succeeds

He tries and fails

to make your drinks, just put it in a plastic water bottle and carry it in your purse or backpack when boarding. It won't show up on the xray. It's stupid to spend $54 for something you will use very little from. I don't think that this is an outrage or that you would be a smuggler, just smart.

Enough of that and bringing water on board will be forbidden. :( Look what happened on Carnival. Easy enough to buy at happy hour as I suggested and put it in a bottle for use later.

Well for heaven sakes, I never knew that! Thank you, Ruth.

Thank you Ruth for taking care of this. I have to admit that I never considered that some might think that icon was merely decorative. For those who don't know - all of those icons serve a function. The type of arrow - and the direction it points - denote the purpose. The icon before each thread will take one to the first unread post since they last logged in. The color of the icon also has meaning.

I also agree that teaching is SO much more helpful than merely repeating what has recently been posted. Changing the color and bolding don't add any knowledge.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Me too! I'm like everyone else..Never knew about this neat little trick..:)

What a great thing you taught so many of us Ruth.. I tried it & it's so easy.. Now if I could only get my Windows 7 to copy & paste again it would be a big help..

Thank you, Thank you! Ruth

And thank you also Jacqui & JTL for the e-mails with our boarding passes, luggage tags & this post converted to PDF files..You sure helped me as I'm still working with Windows 7 which seems to be the culprit & does not want me to print things up.. :eek:

I'm so thankful that I found this board & all you wonderful people..I've made so many Friends here who are willing to help me when I'm lost..:D:D

• 1 year later...
I am normally inclined to follow the rules and will willingly pay ...on board for my bottle. But I need a splash of Vermouth.....Can those of you who are upset with the "rule breakers" help me understand why I need to pay 10 times the normal price for vermouth? ....I may try to find a way to get a small amount of vermouth on board somehow. ......

I know this post is a year old, but thought I'd reply anyway since I'm in the same boat <pun intended>.

What I have done in the past for vermouth is too go to one of the bars and plead my case: I have pre-ordered a botte of X from the ship, but I was not able to purchase a small amount of vermouth for my martini, etc. Sometimes the bartender will simply give me 4-5 oz of vermouth which all I need for about 7 dry martinis. Sometimes I have to pay $8 or so for a glass of vermouth, but it's generally quite generous. <Hint: it's smart to drop by the bar when it's nearly empty> I bring an MT Run Runner or other small contain on board <in my carry on bags> just for that purpose. So, I'd recommend folks try that as opposed to paying for a huge bottle of vermouth which will not be used.