Alaska Questions

camper49

Thinking of booking a cruise & land in 2017. We have always driven to port. We will need to fly this time....opinions using Princess EZ Air?

Also, would you do the land or cruise first?

Land first was our choice. After the land tour you can relax on the ship. Prices are higher for the land first as these tours are more in demand. With sea first, northbound, your tour is after the cruise and you will have to make the longer flight from Alaska at the end. Either way it is a nice trip. We were there on a 4/5 day land tour. If I went back would select the longest land tour I could afford.

EZ Air is worth considering, especially if you land tour starts in Alaska. EZ prices are competitive, and if you arrive late Princess will get you to the tour.

There is no "best way" to plan the land portion of the trip. If you do the land portion first and then head south, you have the luxury of being able to use the cruise as a time to wind down. Many people prefer this approach, and it makes sense. But the disadvantage is that the cruise becomes more and more anticlimactic as you travel south, (at least in my opinion). If you cruise northward, the trip becomes more of a crescendo, where you keep moving deeper and deeper into Alaska with each port more interesting than the last, and more knowledge gained about the area every day. And then you end up in the heart of Alaska as the magnum opus. This approach also has its advantages, but you do lose the relaxation at the end of the trip. Either way, you can't go wrong.

We took the land tour first because that's what my mother recommended. It was good to have the busy portion first and more relaxation once we got to the ship. Since we had been to the ports before on round-trip cruises out of Seattle, we did not try to do too much in each port. That helped. But a lot of people on the land portion with us kept going full blast on the ship as well.

The next time we go, I'm hoping we can take a northbound cruise, have time to travel on our own, then a southbound cruise on a different ship.

Thinking of booking a cruise & land in 2017. We have always driven to port. We will need to fly this time....opinions using Princess EZ Air?

Also, would you do the land or cruise first?

We use EZ Air whenever we can. Its always worked really well for us and lately the prices are really competitive.

We don't like flying back from Anchorage. Always land first.

Then a nice relaxing cruise. ;)

We took the land tour first because that's what my mother recommended. It was good to have the busy portion first and more relaxation once we got to the ship. Since we had been to the ports before on round-trip cruises out of Seattle, we did not try to do too much in each port. That helped. But a lot of people on the land portion with us kept going full blast on the ship as well.

The next time we go, I'm hoping we can take a northbound cruise, have time to travel on our own, then a southbound cruise on a different ship.

That's good to know thank you.

Tony

We did exactly that this past June. Spent a glorious 3 weeks -- 2 cruising and 1 on land in between. North on the Coral and south on the Star. The best of all worlds. :D