Drinking age...on ship and in Bahamas

kimberlym4

on the ship it's always 21.

in ports, it can vary. 18 is not uncommon as a 'legal' drinking age. neither is it uncommon to be served if one is 'tall enough to place an order at the bar', realistically speaking.

Certainly it's 21 on the ship no matter where you are.

Had to laugh! So true in port in Nassau .. "tall enough to order at the bar with cash to pay for drinks" works. :D

I'm about to disembark the sunshine in a few hours. [emoji24] everyone is Correct. My DS is 19 and he was able to drink at all the port, including Bahamas, with the exception of HMC. That's 21 still. If you stay onboard while at a port, it's still 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by mibarron

We took a land vacation to the Bahamas about ten years ago. My then 20-year old daughter was excited she could drink legally. Until she realized she shouldn't drink, being six months pregnant.

My 19 year old DD came home yesterday all excited that she had been invited on a cruise with her friends family...then she figured out it was 2 weeks before her 21st birthday and she still wouldn't be legal on the ship :p.

Is the drinking age on Carnival ships 21? Or is it lower when out to sea? Also I assume it's 18 in port (Nassau). Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It has been my experience that they don't check ID. We took my son on a cruise when he was 17 right after graduation and 2 weeks shy of his 18th birthday and first day of boot camp. He ordered a bucket of beer with no problem. Tipped well and they continued to serve him. Now, before anyone flames me for letting my 17 year old drink 1. he was with me the whole time and 2. He was serving our country 2 days before his 18th birthday and spent his 21st in the desert.

It has been my experience that they don't check ID. We took my son on a cruise when he was 17 right after graduation and 2 weeks shy of his 18th birthday and first day of boot camp. He ordered a bucket of beer with no problem. Tipped well and they continued to serve him. Now, before anyone flames me for letting my 17 year old drink 1. he was with me the whole time and 2. He was serving our country 2 days before his 18th birthday and spent his 21st in the desert.

this sounds EXTREMELY rare and the person that served him could and should get fired.

I dont think the S&S card will not allow them to ring up alcohol if they are underage. this is the 1st time I ever heard of this happening.

(I am not saying I condone or disagree with a 17 year old drinking. I do disagree with Carnival serving him. They can be heavily fined. If he got hurt and was found to have been served alcohol, Carnival would be HEAVILY fined and probably sued)

Not going to flame you. Not my kid and not my business.

But I am surprised this has been your experience. My understanding is that their S&S card would confirm they are under age. I cannot imagine staff risking their employment to serve someone under age.

this sounds EXTREMELY rare and the person that served him could and should get fired.

I dont think the S&S card will not allow them to ring up alcohol if they are underage. this is the 1st time I ever heard of this happening.

(I am not saying I condone or disagree with a 17 year old drinking. I do disagree with Carnival serving him. They can be heavily fined. If he got hurt and was found to have been served alcohol, Carnival would be HEAVILY fined and probably sued)

He just gave them my card. Yes, possibly rare but probably not as rare as you think.

He just gave them my card. Yes, possibly rare but probably not as rare as you think.

ok, they should still be fired for someone underage using someone elses card

Its about liability and getting fined. Carnival should have never let him get it with your card.

I truly hope its a rare as I think. Otherwise Carnival will be sued and fined an awful lot

I personally know of someone who had no problem at 19 being served on board on a southern Caribbean route. Not my kin so not my beef. I think it's how adult you act that is more important. But for those of you that are holier than thou and are you should do this and do as I... Get a life and stay out of others :p

I personally know of someone who had no problem at 19 being served on board on a southern Caribbean route. Not my kin so not my beef. I think it's how adult you act that is more important. But for those of you that are holier than thou and are you should do this and do as I... Get a life and stay out of others :p

I hope you are not referring to me.

as I stated... I dont care if he drinks alcohol or not. its a question of liability and $$ (fines).

the child could get hurt and then Carnival will be in a great deal of trouble if they were found to have served him alcohol.

From a Carnival perspective, this is a nightmare and the server should be fired.

as for the child... I dont have issues with him drinking especially under his families supervision

Regarding direction to the live and let live statement. it's only a general statement to all who feel they need to judge others. To previous poster, Thank you for your son's service. As far as liability, I agree that it could come back to haunt Carnival if an accident were to happen. So I amend my statement to include... Hang all lawyers which is a little contrary to the live and let live :rolleyes:

Edited by gordonzoo2
Not origional poster but previous

Jay's Soapbox:

A person who is 18 can:

Get married, with or without parental consent.

Vote for whatever candidate he/she wants.

Serve, and possibly die for his/her country, yet cannot take a drink.

No opinion here, just sayin'

• Like 1

regarding direction to the live and let live statement. It's only a general statement to all who feel they need to judge others. To previous poster, thank you for your son's service. As far as liability, i agree that it could come back to haunt carnival if an accident were to happen. So i amend my statement to include... Hang all lawyers which is a little contrary to the live and let live :rolleyes:

lololol :d

Jay's Soapbox:

A person who is 18 can:

Get married, with or without parental consent.

Vote for whatever candidate he/she wants.

Serve, and possibly die for his/her country, yet cannot take a drink.

No opinion here, just sayin'

Totally agree thus the reason I let him drink.

This is different than how you originally stated it. I thought he was using his own card and was confused because I know your age is directly linked to the S&S card.

Nothing wrong with him having a few beers. Hell, my mom was getting me Cosmos as that age. Next time though for anyone who allows their underage kid to drink, just order it yourself and give it to them rather than them using your card. Then the server isn't liable if anything happens and they shouldn't be.

Happy cruising.

Edited by TheTravelista

some people are talking about a "fine", under what law? a ship at sea is like an autonomy. No one on board has a ticket book. The drinking age is a rule, not a law, unless you are docked in a U.S. port.

You don't quite understand how things work. Ship security can act on any violation of policy or of the law that occurs on the ship. So, while you are right about no ticket book, they can and will confine you to your room and either disembark you at the next port or turn you over local LE depending on the severity.

some people are talking about a "fine", under what law? a ship at sea is like an autonomy. No one on board has a ticket book. The drinking age is a rule, not a law, unless you are docked in a U.S. port.

Thanks I was just going to state that!!:)

Michael