Princess vs. HAL

NW Watty

While your "feeling" has been duly noted, the "fact" that as one ages sense of smell diminishes.

ref: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/004013.htm

Formal night on a HAL cruise is awash in an attack of the perfumed ladies.

"Attack of the Perfumed Ladies"

Sounds like a grade B horror film -- available on Netflix? :p

While your "feeling" has been duly noted, the "fact" that as one ages sense of smell diminishes.

ref: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/004013.htm

Formal night on a HAL cruise is awash in an attack of the perfumed ladies.

I am fully aware that ones sense of smell diminishes with age, certain disease processes, medication ingestion and so on.

I still think the remark is rude and is making fun of the elderly.

Remember, you too will be old one day if not already with a diminished sense of smell, sight, hearing etc.

I enjoy having fun like most people. I just don't do it at the expense of others.

Edited by lovey1103

We, also, prefer Princess. We enjoy the digital classes on HAL, but that's about the only plus from our stand point. Definitely not a fan of how their buffets are set up, and it's much harder on HAL to find healthy options. Even egetables are over cooked and swimming in oil. The Captain Circle benefits on Princess are much more generous than HAL Mariner. Princess also offers a generous military veterans OBC.

The Princess Captain Circle benefits are hardly worth getting. They really don't give you anything worthwhile anymore.

I disagree. I heartily enjoy a significant amount of free internet, free laundry, minibar setup, etc.

The Princess Captain Circle benefits are hardly worth getting. They really don't give you anything worthwhile anymore.

I am a three star Mariner on HAL and I really don't think that gets me anything other than a repeat cruiser lunch, if so I sure don't know what it is. I think an equivalent level on Princess is Platinum and that gets you a very nice internet package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Wow, third page and no one has yet mentioned my particular bugaboo. We did a cruise on the Maasdam to Canada/New England because of the itinerary and timing. The cruise itself was excellent, and most of the MDR food was fine, and I enjoyed the culinary classes they offered.

But I am a soda drinker. I love Diet Coke/Coke Zero and I drink multiple glasses every day. I enjoy having glasses refilled with my meal. Imagine my horror when I realized that they do not have an unlimited soda package on HAL. I spent most of our 2 week cruise nursing a few cans we had bought onshore (fortunately, cruising in the US and Canada, they were easy to obtain). For me, this had a negative impact on my experience, and cemented my desire to never sail HAL again.

It has been a few years, so I investigated. It looks like HAL is still way behind on drink packages. They still have no unlimited packages, only 'buy $XX on a prepaid card for a $10 discount' type deals. And their new 'signature' package where you can supposedly get whatever alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks you want is still limited to 15 drinks per day.

So IMHO, anyone who wants any kind of unlimited drinks package should not consider HAL.

Have you ever taken the time to write a letter to H-A and express your feelings about them coming up with a drink package like Princess' package? We often tend to express our opinions about likes and dislikes here on CC but never on the post-cruise surveys or via letters, emails, etc. That's probably because we don't think of it at the time. But, if we don't take the time to tell the company, how will they ever know?

Tom

I disagree. I heartily enjoy a significant amount of free internet, free laundry, minibar setup, etc.

I agree with you. It also seems to me to be much easier to advance from one level to another since you can advance either on the number of days spent on cruises or the number of cruises taken. Of course it helps to be located near a port where there are short (1 day!) re-position cruises also! Add to that what I consider very generous veteran's OBC benefits and I'm a big Princess fan.

Tom

Have you ever taken the time to write a letter to H-A and express your feelings about them coming up with a drink package like Princess' package? We often tend to express our opinions about likes and dislikes here on CC but never on the post-cruise surveys or via letters, emails, etc. That's probably because we don't think of it at the time. But, if we don't take the time to tell the company, how will they ever know?

Tom

I asked about this on the HAL board back when, and learned that HAL used to have soda packages. But they discontinued them because they felt there was too much 'sharing'. So HAL has already considered this impact and has had no unlimited soda package for a loooong time. Clearly it doesn't bother their regular customers.

But that's why I will never be a regular customer of HAL.

I am fully aware that ones sense of smell diminishes with age, certain disease processes, medication ingestion and so on.

I still think the remark is rude and is making fun of the elderly.

Remember, you too will be old one day if not already with a diminished sense of smell, sight, hearing etc.

I enjoy having fun like most people. I just don't do it at the expense of others.

Facts > Feels

I asked about this on the HAL board back when, and learned that HAL used to have soda packages. But they discontinued them because they felt there was too much 'sharing'. So HAL has already considered this impact and has had no unlimited soda package for a loooong time. Clearly it doesn't bother their regular customers.

But that's why I will never be a regular customer of HAL.

Well, at least "now you know"! <g> But, seriously, why not write them a short letter requesting that they relook that program. You never can tell, they may have gotten so many letters asking that that your letter might be the final one that tips the scale in your favor!! Heck, worst it can do is cost you a stamp!

Tom

I've gone on a couple HAL cruises lately and have am going on another on in September. I've booked them for the itineraries. I do like the small ship experience. The drawback of the smaller ships, though, is I'm not willing to pay the HAL price for a balcony. I was booked on the Koningsdam for Norway this summer, but Princess lured me away with their fabulous perks and promos.

I like HAL fine. I think food is generally comparable. I do like the food in HAL's buffet more (with the exception of Royal/Regal), but I don't care for the limited hours. I like HAL's room service more than Princess, but I generally don't order from room service that much. I think service is generally the same. I think small ship service tends to be a bit better. I like that HAL has ice cream in the buffet every day. I think Dive-In is a better grill than the Trident on Princess. I just wish it was open into the evening.

I prefer Princess. I like that you can eat pretty much anytime if you want. Hands down wins in the pizza category. I enjoy the International Cafe, Pub Lunch and Alfredo's (not all ships have IC or Alfredo's). Room service menu is limited. I prefer Anytime Dining, but you will get more consistent service in Traditional Dining. Now, Princess is updating their beds and I LOVE the new ones. I wish the roll out was faster.

For the person who is going on the Emerald: I got off the Emerald in July and had a really nice time. Everything was very good on that cruise.