Royal Caribbean newbie

Just booked my first cruise on Royal Caribbean on the Grandeur of the Seas sailing from Baltimore on Jan. 3rd. Flying into BWI on the 2nd and looking for a hotel that will pick me up at the airport and take me to the cruise port the next day...is that doable? I understand it's only about 12 miles from BWI to the port but it's not more than that from JFK to NYC and that can take an hour!! Any suggestions will be appreciated...like how's the food in the MDR? Only balcony cabin I could get was D-1 on 7th deck...anybody have any insights into it's location? I know it's on the port side, which is what I wanted but I'm wondering how the cabin and balcony sizes compare with Celebrity concierge class.

Just booked my first cruise on Royal Caribbean on the Grandeur of the Seas sailing from Baltimore on Jan. 3rd. Flying into BWI on the 2nd and looking for a hotel that will pick me up at the airport and take me to the cruise port the next day...is that doable? I understand it's only about 12 miles from BWI to the port but it's not more than that from JFK to NYC and that can take an hour!! Any suggestions will be appreciated...like how's the food in the MDR? Only balcony cabin I could get was D-1 on 7th deck...anybody have any insights into it's location? I know it's on the port side, which is what I wanted but I'm wondering how the cabin and balcony sizes compare with Celebrity concierge class.

For hotel and transportation options, please post on the East Coast board - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Best Western Plus on O'Donnell is very popular.

Vision class balcony cabins are on the small side. But at least you get a cooler/refrigerator! :eek:

Deck 7 is good.

Balcony will be smaller than the concierge class on celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The BW on O'Donnell is the pits....there are lots of better places to stay! More Best Westerns, and Holiday Inns, and many other brands and price ranges. Go to "Hotels.com" and look up Baltimore. You can compare hotels based on distance from the port, or restaurants...or however you want to search! Then, CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY...don't book thru the website...book directly with the hotel!

The BW on O'Donnell is the pits....there are lots of better places to stay! More Best Westerns, and Holiday Inns, and many other brands and price ranges. Go to "Hotels.com" and look up Baltimore. You can compare hotels based on distance from the port, or restaurants...or however you want to search! Then, CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY...don't book thru the website...book directly with the hotel!

Why?

Balcony will be smaller than the concierge class on celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I kind of figured that but it was the only one left and RCI doesn't have a concierge class. Room size seemed about the same though and there's only two of us so a smaller balcony won't be major.

I'm taking another posters advice and will call the hotel directly and ask them about picking us up at BWI and bringing us to cruise port. I'm a little spoiled with FLL....airport and cruiseport are almost walking distance from each other and Hilton Garden Inn has free shuttle to both.

I kind of figured that but it was the only one left and RCI doesn't have a concierge class. Room size seemed about the same though and there's only two of us so a smaller balcony won't be major.

I'm taking another posters advice and will call the hotel directly and ask them about picking us up at BWI and bringing us to cruise port. I'm a little spoiled with FLL....airport and cruiseport are almost walking distance from each other and Hilton Garden Inn has free shuttle to both.

You are flying from New York to Baltimore?!?!?!?

Why?

Merion_Mom I can tell you why. Everyone go's to places like Hotels.com and such to book rooms thinking they will get the best deal or because there is NO FEES to book or what have you. That is a LIE!!!!

If you find a place you want to stay at on one of these sites call the hotel/motel BEFORE you book with them to see what the rate is and what kind of room you are getting and such. If it is a better deal on the dot com site book on there, BUT call the hotel/motel back to make sure you are getting what you "booked" with the dot com site.

There is fees, but they don't tell you about them. They will give you a rate of say 109.99 plus tax for a room...they get it from the hotel/motel and pay them say 89.99 plus tax, so they are making 20.00 off you. BUT if you call the motel/hotel you may get the same room for 99.99 plus tax...that saves you 10.00!

They also bait and switch you also. They will tell you you are getting one thing and when you get to the hotel/motel you get something else...they tell ya what you want to hear to get you to book with them. I work at a motel and they will tell people they are in one building/type of room and put you in the 2nd building that is a different kind of room all together.

So that is why you ahould alway call the motel/hotel BEFORE and AFTER you book on the dot com site.

You are flying from New York to Baltimore?!?!?!?

Yes we are...it's about 5 hours from where I live and weather in Jan. Can be tricky. If we were going in spring we would seriously consider driving but flight is only 45 minutes and I don't have to worry about parking my car, snow, ice or traffic....also no spring chicken....driving isn't as much fun as it used t to be..

Edited by Hydrokitty

Yes we are...it's about 5 hours from where I live and weather in Jan. Can be tricky. If we were going in spring we would seriously consider driving but flight is only 45 minutes and I don't have to worry about parking my car, snow, ice or traffic....also no spring chicken....driving isn't as much fun as it used t to be..

Consider also snowstorm. Our flight to EWR last January was cancelled due to snowstorm Jonas and airport was closed for a day.

Consider also snowstorm. Our flight to EWR last January was cancelled due to snowstorm Jonas and airport was closed for a day.

I'll start keeping an eye on the weather about a week before we go. Good thing with Southwest is they're very good about rebooking if weather looks like it might be a problem, with no charge. Bad news this time is our departure date on Jan. 3.....if a blizzard is coming on the 2nd and I have to go before Jan. 1st I could run into a huge fare difference. Then I might have to start looking at Amtrak. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

I guess Merion_Mom and I can get pretty easily spoiled with both the Bayonne and Baltimore ports less than a 2 hour house-to-ship drive! :)

:D

I just figured by the time you put in travel time to and from airports on both ends on both days, plus waiting time in the airport on both ends, plus transportation to and from both airports on both ends..........driving would start looking a lot better.

But obviously, you should do what works best for you!

I love reading about people who think nothing of a 12 hour drive to port! :eek: Now THAT is out of MY comfort zone! :D

Edited by Merion_Mom

The description and picture on the website are actually quite accurate. (which is not always the case ;))

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/cabin/home.do?shipCode=GR&cabincls=B&cabinType=OS&br=R&deckCode=CM&shipName=Grandeur+Of+The+Seas++++++++++&cabinTypeName=Superior+Ocean+View+Stateroom

:D

I just figured by the time you put in travel time to and from airports on both ends on both days, plus waiting time in the airport on both ends, plus transportation to and from both airports on both ends..........driving would start looking a lot better.

I love reading about people who think nothing of a 12 hour drive to port! :eek: Now THAT is out of MY comfort zone! :D

Normally would agree with you....especially about the 12 hour drive to anywhere!!! We used to throw the kids (5) into the puppy wagon and drive straight through to Columbus, OH without a second thought :eek: Actually we live about 5 miles from our regional airport and can park free in town parking lot...the flight from here to BWI is 1 hour gate to gate so no plane changes. My biggest problem is finding a hotel that will pick us up at BWI on the 2nd and take us to the cruise terminal on the 3rd....free of course. :D

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/cabin/home.do?shipCode=GR&cabincls=B&cabinType=OS&br=R&deckCode=CM&shipName=Grandeur+Of+The+Seas++++++++++&cabinTypeName=Superior+Ocean+View+Stateroom

Thanks for this....it looks a lot like the concierge level cabin we get on Celebrity but without the perks. I'm surprised RCI doesn't have cc...the only choice I had was this cabin or a junior suite and my TA said it wasn't worth the extra cost since I wouldn't get any of the suite perks. DH's cousin and my best friend booked this while on board RCI for her 6th cruise...she loves them so I'm not concerned about too much difference in quality. I had heard food was only ok but pp said it was great....and neither of us is picky when it comes to food...I'm vegetarian and he's diabetic so we're used to meatless and tasteless meals! :D

Why?

What "kmdreamcatcher" said, exactly. From my plethora of experiences on both sides, those booking-specialty sites give you no advantage whatsoever and at worst are a handicap/extra cost if you need to make a change, or cancel.

The advantages to booking directly with hotels are:

- Same price as any of the booking sites are quoting

- Getting recommendations from a desk person about room categories and locations

- Asking about various discount possibilities you might have (AAA, senior, whatever) and getting your best rate

- Special needs/wants, even if not calling but booking online (there's always a field for that)

- No contract small print hiding in the grass, just waiting to jump up and bite me. It's all in the email confirmation I get from the hotel.

I search traveladvisor for pricing (but pick your own favorite), find a couple or more best prospects (only after reading 2-3 pages of comments on each), and then go directly to a hotel's website. Maybe call or book online, I've done both.

I always get the same or sometimes lower pricing by booking directly with the hotel, and I always feel better informed.

Edited by Moonarino

Good deal on a SW flight? Between the $35 in tolls one way and the unpleasant 5 hr drive (on a good day), I'd consider it too.

Don't forget Amtrak as transportation to Baltimore. Penn Station is close to downtown hotels and the pier. Also can go to BWI Airport Amtrak station. Shuttle to the airport and hotel pickup there. A bit convoluted but workable.

Don't forget Amtrak as transportation to Baltimore. Penn Station is close to downtown hotels and the pier. Also can go to BWI Airport Amtrak station. Shuttle to the airport and hotel pickup there. A bit convoluted but workable.

She seems very happy with her flight plans. :)