Feeling like I'm still on the ship

slwillwin

I used to get the sea leg thing after 7- 8day cruises, but I don't remember having it after our 19 day cruise. It usually goes away after a couple of nights. I've never had motion sickness on a cruise, it a car when I was a kid, but not since adulthood.

I experienced it after our first few short cruises, but for some reason our 14 day one did nothing. Strange.

One thing I do get every time though is terrible ear pain/ear fullness if I fly immediately after the cruise. Last time I packed ear plugs and it was a big help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My past experiences:

Cruise #1 7 days: took no medication while on board, seas were calms, felt minor rocking sensation afterwards...maybe on and off for about 5-6 days. Felt no sea sickness while on board.

Cruise #2 7 days: we spent a couple days in Puerto Rico before the cruise left and on one of those days took a catamaran snorkel trip. Although I've never experienced sea sickness before, I got really sick on that catamaran (and no, I didn't have any alcohol, felt sick right off the bat). Because of that awful experience, I decided I'd better take meds on the cruise. Sure enough, that first night, before we even left port I felt the need for meds so I took them the entire cruise. After the cruise, I had some rocking sensation for about a week.

Cruise #3 6 days: Because of my experience with sea sickness on the 2nd cruise, I decided to play it safe and take meds during this one as well. I never really felt sick at any point though. After this one I would say I definitely had Mal de Debarquement Syndrome. I felt it for almost a month! It felt like someone was pushing me down. I felt so heavy, just like I was carrying around a hundred pounds of weights. I felt rocking all the time, and oddly enough it only seemed to go away when I was in a car. Taking meds after I was home really didn't help. It was pretty severe, and then it just went away, thank God!

I have no idea why each of my experiences has been so different, but it won't stop me from cruising again! (cruise #4 and #5 are booked for next year!)

I get this after every cruise, it's never really bothered me and usually went away after a day or so. And a couple of weeks ago I drove for 14 hours in one day and felt it every time I got out of the car. I felt drunk. :eek:

I thought you meant sitting at the dining room table and wondering where your waiter and food were?

Going to bed and looking for the chocolate on the pillow?

Coming home and finding the towels still on the floor where you left them this morning, and so on.

I have been home over a month and still haven't booked my next cruise.

I thought you meant sitting at the dining room table and wondering where your waiter and food were?

Going to bed and looking for the chocolate on the pillow?

Coming home and finding the towels still on the floor where you left them this morning, and so on.

I have been home over a month and still haven't booked my next cruise.

Does anyone else try to turn the bathroom light on and off at home on the outside wall? Gets me every time for a day or 2.

Does anyone else try to turn the bathroom light on and off at home on the outside wall? Gets me every time for a day or 2.

Yes. Guilty.:o

What really freaked me out was that for weeks after our last family cruise, the end of the toilet paper was always folded into a point every time I walked into the bathroom. I thought the Room Steward had followed us home. Turns out it was my youngest DD (then 8 yrs old).:p

Edited by ShakyBeef

Yes. Guilty.:o

What really freaked me out was that for weeks after our last family cruise, the end of the toilet paper was always folded into a point every time I walked into the bathroom. I thought the Room Steward had followed us home. Turns out it was my youngest DD (then 8 yrs old).:p

Cute!

Worst case I had of mal de debarkment was after our 7 night Alaska cruise. That was my second cruise. I had it for over a month. Generally I get it for 4-7 days after all cruises. Can't say for sure whether I had it after my first cruise, as I got off that cruise with the worst head cold I ever had in my life. I could have been rocking, but I couldn't tell.

Most of our cruises we've been on the lower decks, for different lengths of time, but have also been on higher decks. I don't notice any difference whether I have it or not based on location or length of cruise.

I don't mind it so much. Just a nice reminder of the cruise.

Both my fiancee and I experienced this after our last cruise. Weirdly it only appeared after we arrived back home from the airport and were chilling. Like most folk it lasted a 2 or 3 days and was quite a strange feeling but neither of us were really bothered too much with it.

Oh dang, is this true? We just got off the ship last Friday, and my husband is still complaining about it. He'd be seriously freaked out if he heard it could be permanent!

I have suffered my whole life.It can be permanent,but that dosent mean you have it all the time.Can be months before episodes and then bang,here we go.And can disappear just as quickly.Barometric pressure can have a big influence.:):)

Had it once but not from a cruise. Coming back from a company fishing trip to Flag Is. at the far far northernmost tip of Minnesota (NW Angle, the bit that sticks up into Canada) in Lake of the Woods. The day we left to boat back to Rainy River all the way across the "big water" it got super windy and kicked up 12 foot waves. While it was a charter type fishing boat it was still pretty small and we were up and down and up and down for 2 hours - often not being able to see the other boats when in the trough between waves. Once on shore I had to visit the bathroom and got the motion thing so bad I darned near fell off the pot. :eek: Fortunately it went away within a few hours.