game changer

telebax51

Just back from Alaska on the Legend great cruise but one question we did Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier instead of Tracy Arm Fjord paid to be up close to see the glacier because they said the ship could not get up close , had I known that the Legend was going to follow us in to Endicott Arm up close I would not have booked this excursion. Got back on board and went to the tour desk to voice my concern but there were at least a dozen people ahead of me very upset paying a lot for a unnecessary excursion

Just back from Alaska on the Legend great cruise but one question we did Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier instead of Tracy Arm Fjord paid to be up close to see the glacier because they said the ship could not get up close , had I known that the Legend was going to follow us in to Endicott Arm up close I would not have booked this excursion. Got back on board and went to the tour desk to voice my concern but there were at least a dozen people ahead of me very upset paying a lot for a unnecessary excursion

The Legend got very close to the glacier, so close I could hear it cracking and saw a small piece calve. Had your small boat in site the entire time.

However, it must have been an awesome experience to be that close.

I can see how you would have been upset about spending the $$ when we were pretty much right behind you.

We had great weather, didn't we?

I guess I just assumed people knew that the Legend follows the small boat in there. When we were there, the ship got about 3-4 miles away. Nice? Yes. You could see the glacier and such. As nice as the small boat? No. The small boat was maybe 1/2 mile away. When the glacier calved, it was causing small waves on the boat. We also stopped along the way to look at wildlife and some waterfalls. The Legend follows the boats in so they can pick up the first group and leave with the second group.

If you read the fine print it says that sometimes the ship will follow you in LOL I am still in Seattle when I get back home I have a magnifier . My DW says let it go give me another week

I didn't even read that in the fine print, so didn't know it said that. I guess I just researched the excursion before I booked it. I probably read about it here or on the Carnival website. At this point, not sure it's worth getting that upset about. I guess your ship got in closer than ours. But it was still worth it to us. If you enjoyed it, I wouldn't stay mad about it. :)

Ouch, that is unlucky. I've seen this boat in Tracy Arm, and it does get MUCH closer than the ship typically. It depends on the number of icebergs though. It's almost 100% that the smaller boat will get you a significantly better view of Tracy Arm Glacier though.

The small boat gets a much better view of the glacier.

The view from the small boat was wonderful but when we returned to the cruise ship which was about 100 to 200 yards from us I went To my balcony and the view of the glacier there was just as amazing, so live and learn. I'm in Seattle now enjoying the sights and have another cruise booked in 81 days

Good to know. We'll be going next year.

If Tracy Arm is passable by the time you go next year then I would say go for it but if they reroute to see another glacier I would check to see if the cruise ship also go close to the glacier. When we got there Holland cruise line was almost as close as we were on the small boat. I would not pay $179 per if the cruise ship is also going close to the glacier

AGAIN THIS IS HOW I FILL ABOUT THIS EXCURSION

I would think the conditions of ice in the water on the DAY of the ship's arrival varies and the decision on just how close to take the big ship in varies every time it visits. The smaller excursion boat can almost always get closer in. Hence the reason for having the excursion. I wouldn't fault the cruise line because on that day, the larger ship also was able to get closer in.

I would think the conditions of ice in the water on the DAY of the ship's arrival varies and the decision on just how close to take the big ship in varies every time it visits. The smaller excursion boat can almost always get closer in. Hence the reason for having the excursion. I wouldn't fault the cruise line because on that day, the larger ship also was able to get closer in.

You could be right or you could be wrong but I got it out there for future cruisers to make a better decision about this excursion there were too many people at the tour desk complaining.

You could be right or you could be wrong but I got it out there for future cruisers to make a better decision about this excursion there were too many people at the tour desk complaining.

Telebax51,

Thank you. We just booked on the Legend for 2018. We will probably (knowing us) still book the excursion, but at least we are doing so knowing that the ship may (or may not) have just as good or similar views. Thank you for posting your experiences with it.

Telebax51,

Thank you. We just booked on the Legend for 2018. We will probably (knowing us) still book the excursion, but at least we are doing so knowing that the ship may (or may not) have just as good or similar views. Thank you for posting your experiences with it.

Thanks for your response that's all I wanted to do, I will also be doing Alaska again Carnival will be doing 14 day journeys in 2018