Tipping Question

cdl324

I tipped the porters at the terminal and those who delivered room service to the room. I was also prepared to tip the dining room servers as well as room stewards had they gone above and beyond. Unfortunately, neither happened. We saw our room steward only twice and the dining staff were pleasant, but aside for meeting our needs twice forgot things I ordered. So as long as your prepaid, you don't need to tip any more unless someone does more.

The porters at the terminal aren't employed by the cruise line, so they aren't included in prepaid gratuities. You can tip them if you'd like. Room service, with Carnival at least, doesn't get a share either. So, again, that's at your discretion. When you buy a drink at the bar, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to the cost of the drink, so you don't have to tip the bartender, unless you want to give extra. And, as others have said, if you feel like someone went above & beyond, even if they get a share of the prepaid gratuity, feel free to tip extra. Our steward was awesome and an all-around great guy, so we tracked him down on debarkation day and gave him a little extra.

We have done a few cruises and I will tip for exceptional service. I have found out that if I tip the Cabin Steward the first day, usually as soon as we find our room, then I never have a request for anything turned down. On a longer trip, our cabin steward would also give us some port suggestions and dinner tips.

On our last trip on Carnival Breeze, I like a umbrella drink and a photo with the big screen in the back ground. We found a very nice drink waitress that not only got the drinks with umbrellas in them but took several photos of us to get the big screen in the photo just right. So I gave her a very dollars and thanked her. After that every time she saw us on deck or in the theater she would come ask us if we wanted anything. She turned out to be a great friend for the rest of the cruise. Even stopping to talking when we did not want anything.

So enjoy and tip as you normally would for great service.

Are there three choices to tipping?

- prepaying

- paying per service

- paying after the cruise

That's opening up a can of worms that is likely to get you flamed here. I'll take a shot at answering your question, though.

Technically, yes. HOWEVER, the automatic gratuities that you pay through the cruise line are split among all of those who serve you on the ship, whether you see them or not. Typically, best practice is to pay those automatic gratuities and then tip additional for exceptional service. There are a couple of exceptions to that, though. At the bars, they will add a gratuity to your drink cost, automatically. You should tip room service waiters and porters, as they don't receive a share of the automatic gratuities.

There are those who attempt to pay per service or tip in cash at the end of the cruise, and you certainly can by removing the automatic gratuities and going that route; however, I don't believe that course is (1) fair to all, (2) convenient for you, or (3) the best way to show appreciation for a job well done.

Are there three choices to tipping?

- prepaying

- paying per service

- paying after the cruise

two choices. lose the middle one

well. let's clarify. the daily charge, which covers all your dining options in included venues( buffet, MDR, poolside, etc) and housekeeping can be either prepaid, or added to your account daily to be paid in full at the end of the cruise. unless anyone goes way over and above in these ares, tipping anything else is unnecessary, but can be either cash or added to the bill by going to guest services.

paying 'per service' is things like any room service orders( a dollar or 2 cash is sufficient most of the time) anything you buy on board( drinks, hot fudge sundaes, Irish coffees, spa services, specialty dining etc) not specifically covered any drinks package( which have the gratuity added to the cost when you purchase it)

depending on your specific circumstances you may encounter other people who do you a service who are not otherwise covered under the tip pool.. such as the Concierge in Royal's three different Lounges( Diamond, Suite and Concierge) and the bartenders in said lounges serving you free drinks every night. they would also be tipped separately and either in cash or by going down to guest services and requesting somethings designated for a specific individual.

We will be cruising for our first time in October with Carnival. We prepaid our gratuities, is there any reason or should we still tip?! Thanks!

I would think only for room service. If you want to be remembered as an individual then tip and that attendant or waiter will look for you.

What's a typical amount for tipping porters? is it per bag or per person?

Typically is a buck or two per bag. We normally tip $5 for two bags, though (it's just easier that way). Some people will say more, some people will say less...

Tips that are not covered are:

Porters at the pier.

Room service.

Sommeliers.

Maître D'.

The Maître D' is probably the only one you won't need to tip unless you get direct service from them for (as examples) requesting a specific table, a table change for some reason, or setting up a special event (birthday surprise, etc.). The other 3, especially the porters, you'll definitely be dealing with.

You can certainly add tips if you feel the service warrants it. I tend to tip my room steward extra if they go a above and beyond what it required. I also will tip the bartenders extra if I find a really good one, one that I'll make sure to visit as much as possible. On my last Carnival cruise, the bartender at the Atrium bar got an extra $20 from me. She deserved every penny of it for the incredible service she provided.

Edited by K.T.B.

I am also going on my first cruise with Carnival in October. We did prepay the gratuities. However, if you eat at a restaurant that is not included, I assume you should tip there? Such as the steakhouse, or the Chef's Table?

Thanks!

I am also going on my first cruise with Carnival in October. We did prepay the gratuities. However, if you eat at a restaurant that is not included, I assume you should tip there? Such as the steakhouse, or the Chef's Table?

Thanks!

You can always tip if you like, but the specialty restaurants have a charge. I think that might include the tip. Read up on it.

We prepay gratuity as well.

We tipped when room service was delivered. We did not tip extra for booze. We left our room steward a $20 bill on disembarkation day...we wish to have been able to tip him more. Oh we also tipped the luggage porter at the New Orleans port when we arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sheeniwoo

I'd like a little clarification if I may ask... when you are saying tip the porters... is this the person you drop off your luggage to, or should I hang out in my room to catch the guy doing the actual delivery of my bags? I'm a wee bit confused...