Please help me choose which month to travel

tankwastheworldsbestdog

I've been on three Alaska cruises in Sept and the first week of Oct on Celebrity and HAL about a decade ago. I want to book a cruise for 2017 and wondered if the weather is typically better if you go in May/June/July/Aug instead of Sept or Oct? I did feel that the last cruise my mom (now passed away) and I took on HAL I didn't enjoy as much as it was the final cruise for that season and the staff (although they were wonderful), you could tell everyone was rushing to finish the cruise and close out the various shops, etc. on the ship. Also, the weather going north all three cruises was very rough since we weren't on the inside passage. Before I book my 2017 cruise, does anyone have recommendations as to which months have the best (least rainy/cold) weather, and best conditions? Thanks everyone!

End of May is amazing most of the time in Alaska.

I love mid-May to mid-June.

After a really bad, cold cruise the first time, I searched a ton of weather sites and realized that mid-May and June are statistically dryer compared to July and after. Once July hits and after that, each month is more wet than the previous months.

Look at the weather sites to confirm but May is the "secret dry month". Plus stores are anxious for people as they just opened up.

Water can be rough whenever.

Edited by Coral

Nobody sails Alaska in October. As mentioned, June, July and the first half of August are considered most favorable for weather, although weather is quite variable in Alaska. commonly discussed here.

Thanks, I think about a dozen years ago my mom and I finished one cruise that ended on the 1st or 2nd day of October. I see that they're not doing them that late any longer which is good because it rained every day. The other two cruises were the beginning of Sept.

Nobody sails Alaska in October. As mentioned, June, July and the first half of August are considered most favorable for weather, although weather is quite variable in Alaska. commonly discussed here.

Thanks, I think about a dozen years ago my mom and I finished one cruise that ended on the 1st or 2nd day of October. I see that they're not doing them that late any longer which is good because it rained every day. The other two cruises were the beginning of Sept.

HAL has a ship the first of October in Juneau (Volendam). Several ships are there at the end of September.

Edited by Coral

wondered if the weather is typically better if you go in May/June/July/Aug instead of Sept or Oct?
Study these links.... I like mid-July....

Ketchikan Climate chart http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/ketchikan/alaska/united-states/usak0125

Juneau Climate Chart http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/juneau/alaska/united-states/usak0116

Skagway Climate Chart http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/skagway/alaska/united-states/usak0225

If weather is the only factor in your decision , I agree with Coral, late May to mid June. Read the early season trip reports ( posted in STICKYS above) and you'll see that most people had clear weather and little rain.

However, if there are other factors than weather for this trip, you need to do more research. ie May/june is not peak for bear viewing excursions. Or if you want to visit Denali the park road isn't fully open until June 10.

If weather is the only factor in your decision , I agree with Coral, late May to mid June. Read the early season trip reports ( posted in STICKYS above) and you'll see that most people had clear weather and little rain.

Plus the beauty of snow on the mountains - simply gorgeous :)

Coral~ That's exactly why we planned our 2 weeks in Alaska the first 2 weeks of June....cruising the first week and playing on the Kenai Peninsula and interior the 2nd week. Typically dryer, and there will still be some snow on the mountain tops and fresh green with spring flowers down low. Hoping to soak all the beauty in!

I've sailed all the months during the Alaska season, with always mid to late May included. Total of over 50 cruises over 22 years.

May is historically less rain and more sunshine. Simply the "Alaska" views people seem to associate with Alaska. (It is mostly all green on the inside passage into June) June has also been good weather. Especially those long days allow me, my importuned scenic viewing. Plus this timeframe is a must with a northbound one way end of May cruise, to get to at least Eielson in Denali which starts June 1. Fishing is better in July and August, along with the bear tours. end of August are the color change starts. Sept- used to be give away rates, reason, why I picked them up. The rates aren't different enough for me lately to compromise like I have to with Sept sailings. These were add on trips, always going earlier the same season. Always better weather earlier, in my cases.

Being well prepared makes a lot of difference. I certainly enjoyed every single trip.

Coral~ That's exactly why we planned our 2 weeks in Alaska the first 2 weeks of June....cruising the first week and playing on the Kenai Peninsula and interior the 2nd week. Typically dryer, and there will still be some snow on the mountain tops and fresh green with spring flowers down low. Hoping to soak all the beauty in!

My first of June cruises have also been amazing! I try to plan last week in May and first week of June.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

Not 100% true. The Alaska Marine Highway ship the Columbia does a weekly sailing from Bellingham all year. I have done trips on the Alaska Marine Highway although not on this route and it was fun.

DON

My DH and I went on our first Alaska cruise this year. We left home May 30th arriving in Anchorage a day before we needed to be there. We had a day to ourselves getting used to the time change and were able to travel around on foot taking in the sites. The weather was beautiful and the flowers and blossoms were wonderful. Were able to sit outside at outdoor pubs in short sleeves. We started on a Celebrity three day land based and seven cruise tour on the 1st of June taking in the Talkeetna and Denali area first. We were able to tour Denali state park. Days were long and that was an extra bonus. On the 3rd of June we boarded our cruise ship at Seward and had a terrific cruise especially enjoying the long days as stated before. It was easy to have an early dinner and go ashore again in the evening. We had stops at Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan. We had little rain (drizzle at Juneau) but for the most part it was light jacket days. We were so pleased that we did the cruise one way from north to south and couldn't imagine doing the trip up and back in one week. I would certainly recommend the timeframe that we took.

I chose May for two reasons mostly: Most schools are not out yet (our ship had maybe 25-30 kids) and there are fewer other tourists too. The side benefit is that it's also the driest month statistically. It's not nearly as cold as some people believe though weather is always a gamble. Our May 5-15 had almost perfect weather each day except for Juneau - it was a little rainy right around downtown (nothing terrible) but out at the airport (for our helicopter glacier trip) and at Mendenhall it was only overcast. Glacier Bay day was *SPECTACULARLY* perfect. We were the first ship for the season at a couple stops and the only one at most - Victoria and Ketchikan had a ship or two more.

Good luck!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

This year we went to Alaska via Vancouver roundtrip from April 30 to May 7th. It was amazing. I have been to Alaska before but this is the first time I really appreciated it. There was snow everywhere. We had beautiful weather and it was a very smooth ride. It was a little cool but not cold, except on the day where we toured Glacier Bay. Just bring a jacket and enjoy the beauty.

The first half of August has worked well for us on our three Alaska cruises. We had some sunshine, fog, drizzle, and rain on all three, but not enough to spoil our enjoyment.

Our most recent cruise was a two week itinerary from Aug 1-15. We had an amazing experience and had good to awesome weather for most of it.