MDR protocol (extra food)

Smyles

Is it acceptable to have our family of 3 all order our meals but order an additional plate to share among the 3 of us. It would be something that we don't typically cook/order/eat and therefore there is a chance all 3 of us will not like it and leave the majority of it on the plate.

I cook our food here at home but tend to stick with what tried and true, when we go out for our meals we order things we know we will eat. But we do think it is important to try new things, and especially serve them to our daughter (3.5yrs) so she can figure out her own tastes.

I know we can technically order everything on the menu every meal but we don't want to be wasteful and rude (we realize someone is paying for that food and someone is working hard to cook it). But this does seem like a great chance to go out of the box and try something new each meal.

Thoughts? Can we just explain to our waiter why we are ordering it (and possibly not eating it)?

It's a very common situation. The wife & I like to try new things too, so we will order an extra entree or appetizer, or both! One plate among 3 is certainly no worse than one plate for two. And, if you find you like it, you can order another...

Nutz to you from Florida!

Edited by Bernie by the sea

Is it acceptable to have our family of 3 all order our meals but order an additional plate to share among the 3 of us. It would be something that we don't typically cook/order/eat and therefore there is a chance all 3 of us will not like it and leave the majority of it on the plate.

I cook our food here at home but tend to stick with what tried and true, when we go out for our meals we order things we know we will eat. But we do think it is important to try new things, and especially serve them to our daughter (3.5yrs) so she can figure out her own tastes.

I know we can technically order everything on the menu every meal but we don't want to be wasteful and rude (we realize someone is paying for that food and someone is working hard to cook it). But this does seem like a great chance to go out of the box and try something new each meal.

Thoughts? Can we just explain to our waiter why we are ordering it (and possibly not eating it)?

As others said it is acceptable, however you brought up being wasteful yourself and you Need to realize that yes you would be wasteful if you don´t eat it.

As others said it is acceptable, however you brought up being wasteful yourself and you Need to realize that yes you would be wasteful if you don´t eat it.

I don't see sharing 1 plate among 3 people as being wasteful even if they don't eat it all...no more wasteful than anyone else ordering an entree...not liking it & ordering another....

First off I think it is like you were trying any other new dish. You may love it or hate it. But you wont know until you try it. So I would not consider it wastefull but a learning experience. As a picky and strict vegetarian I do not have many options on the menu and often items I am not familiar with. So I ussually order the entire vegetarian entree menu. This is typically 2-3 dishes. I try all of them and them and then eat what I like best. Otherwise when I realize i do not like a dish I will have to wait for a different dish. Same thing at dessert. If they have a sampler dessert plate I will order that. Other wise i will order multiple desserts. But i rarely let any desserts i order go to waste:). You are on vacation enjoy. The wait staff wont need an explanation it is quite common.

If there is a food item on a plate I don't like or I'm full I don't eat it ! Not wasteful.

Edited by davekathy

I don't see sharing 1 plate among 3 people as being wasteful even if they don't eat it all...no more wasteful than anyone else ordering an entree...not liking it & ordering another....

Correct, it´s as wasteful as ordering something not liking it and ordering something else.

As I said previously, it´s accepted and no Problem to do, but this does not make it any less wasteful.

I know People do it all the time on ships. They wouldn´t do it as easyly if they were in a restaurant on shore where they have to pay for every single order.

It´s ok if you don´t think it´s wasteful, I think it is and as a matter of fact everything prepared and served and not consumed goes to waste.

Go for it!! I do it very often. Your waiter will love to share the different plates with you. He may have good suggestions. Don't let people accuse you of being wasteful. Just look at the windjammer plates and you will feel better!!!! [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our waiters have often brought us appetizers or entrees we didn't order just so we can try them. We have found new favorite dishes this way that we wouldn't have even tried on our own.

Last month our waiter did this frequently when DS or DH could not decide which app/entree/dessert they wanted. Also, the portions are not so huge (like a 3 small scallop app for example) so sharing shouldn't be a problem. Trying new things and being a bit adventurous = good. Being gluttonous and ordering so much you know you won't be able to finish it all = not good.

I remember years ago when we sat at a table with 3 other couples who were all new to cruising. They were amazed that we ordered 2 to 3 appetizers each, an extra entree to share plus an extra dessert to share.

By the end of the week, everyone was doing it.

If you want to try something, go for it.

I've had many occasions when the waiter has brought extra items when we were unsure of what to order.

One time we were with a family group of 2 tables. I ordered 1 of everything for a bunch of us to share. The waiter misunderstood, and he brought ME 1 of everything plus more for the others. We ate it all :):D:eek:

-----

we have seen at a table near us 8 people they were getting 3 appt. and 3 main dishes each was not a problem but it put the waiters so far behind to all of the rest of the other tables they had every night service was slow for the hole area but it was a bad station all the way in the back of the room 5th floor far way from the kitchen

I would rather be wasteful than eating something I don't like. Best time to try different things is when you aren't paying extra for them. Go for it and enjoy.

Edited by ReneeFLL

As others have said, it is a great way to try new things. We are pretty adventurous eaters but occasionally we see something on the menu we would like to try. We have asked and received a smaller portion to taste. We have even had a waiter bring us a sampler "platter" of each of the appetizers, because we couldn't choose. When the waiter discovered my husband loved scallops he brought out another serving.

We have always found that the staff is eager to make us happy and comfortable. We feel pampered. That is one of the things we enjoy in cruising.

Correct, it´s as wasteful as ordering something not liking it and ordering something else.

As I said previously, it´s accepted and no Problem to do, but this does not make it any less wasteful.

I know People do it all the time on ships. They wouldn´t do it as easyly if they were in a restaurant on shore where they have to pay for every single order.

It´s ok if you don´t think it´s wasteful, I think it is and as a matter of fact everything prepared and served and not consumed goes to waste.

Listen ... everything that IS consumed eventually goes to waste too! ;)

we have seen at a table near us 8 people they were getting 3 appt. and 3 main dishes each was not a problem but it put the waiters so far behind to all of the rest of the other tables they had every night service was slow for the hole area but it was a bad station all the way in the back of the room 5th floor far way from the kitchen

:eek: