Anyone on the Ecstasy with Man Overboard Updates?

Fydlstyx

It was posted elsewhere that the Ecstasy is currently stopped at sea, and that approximately two hours ago a man went overboard. I am just wondering if anyone on board is posting here, and if there is any further information.

It was posted elsewhere that the Ecstasy is currently stopped at sea, and that approximately two hours ago a man went overboard. I am just wondering if anyone on board is posting here, and if there is any further information.

someone on facebook mentioned it may have been a teenage girl:confused:

COAST GUARD SEARCHING FOR CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER 27 MILES SOUTHWEST OF BAHAMAS

MIAMI – The Coast Guard is searching for a woman who reportedly fell overboard Wednesday from the Carnival Ecstasy cruise ship approximately 27 miles southwest of Freeport, Bahamas.

Watchstanders with the 7th Coast Guard District command center received notification from the Carnival Ecstasy crew that a 32-year-old woman was reportedly seen falling overboard at approximately 2:30 a.m. Wednesday from the 11th deck wearing a white dress with pink floral.

A Coast Guard Air Station Miami MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew, an Air Station Miami HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crew and the Coast Guard Cutter Gannet crew are assisting in the search. The Coast Guard Cutter Bernard C. Webber crew was also diverted to assist in the search.

The Carnival Ectsasy's last port of call was in Nassau, Bahamas on Tuesday. Their next port of call is scheduled to be in Charleston, South Carolina on Thursday.

http://d7.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2880442/

You cannot "fall" overboard. I really HATE when this is written, as it scares the heck out of people and probably keeps them from cruising.

Well, technically you CAN fall overboard but there's usually a lot of alcohol, stupidity or mental illness involved.If you sit on the rail or climb from one balcony to another then you'll most likely fall. But I agree with you that reporting isn't descriptive so non-cruisers understand that. I think they're overly-cautious about reporting a suicide or potential crime.

You cannot "fall" overboard. I really HATE when this is written, as it scares the heck out of people and probably keeps them from cruising.

Well if someone gets scared about cruising from a headline, maybe it's better for me that they don't show up on any cruise that I'm on. Don't need to be around hysterical people while I vacation!

And let me express some sympathy for the missing person's family and friends.

Edited by evandbob

Carnival released this statement:

Statement from Carnival Cruise Line

"Early this morning, a 32-year-old female guest was witnessed jumping overboard from the cruise ship Carnival Ecstasy. The ship was approximately 15 miles off the coast of Grand Bahama island. Man overboard procedures were initiated immediately along with notification to the U.S. Coast Guard. Cruise ship personnel have been participating in the search and rescue operation throughout the morning. At 9 a.m., USCG released the cruise ship to resume its course for Charleston. USCG remains on site to continue the search. The company's CareTeam is providing assistance and support to the missing guest's family on board and our thoughts and prayers are with her and family and loved ones during this difficult time."

Very true. Some people I have spoke with who have never cruised really think you can just 'fall' if you are not careful. I usually take the time to explain how that is simply impossible and usually requires intent.

Well, technically you CAN fall overboard but there's usually a lot of alcohol, stupidity or mental illness involved.If you sit on the rail or climb from one balcony to another then you'll most likely fall. But I agree with you that reporting isn't descriptive so non-cruisers understand that. I think they're overly-cautious about reporting a suicide or potential crime.

Well, she certainly didn't "RISE" over board. No matter the cause, trip, push, jump - she definitely "FELL" from the ship into the sea - it's how gravity works.

This is my take on falling overboard there is either intent or you are doing something you have no business doing!! My heart goes out to the family either way!!

You are right. They are the one's that have to deal with the pain for the rest of their lives and a lot of time guilt, which sometimes goes along with suicide. Very sad for the family.

When you jump, you fall. It's cause and effect. Don't hate it; it's nature.

I'm more curious how someone can jump from deck 11 and not fall onto deck 10.

When I talk to people about cruising, I have had some say to me that they would never cruise because they are afraid that their children will fall overboard. I then have to explain that it is impossible to simply "fall" overboard. One must do something with intent to be in a position to "fall".

Tell that to the woman who was putting her baby up on the railing while we were pulling out of port.