Mosquitoes on panama canal fort Lauderdale cruise

indexcards

Historically, before zika virus, how much of a problem are mosquitoes at these ports? Aruba, Cartegena. Limon, Gatun Lake. , Grand Cayman...

On day trips do they present a problem?

Where were they the worst? Did they detract from your good time?

I have made four full transits of the canal and can honestly say I never once laid eyes on a mosquito. We were fully prepared with bug spray but never needed it. I wonder if the Canal Zone is fogged to combat the potential problem. It would make sense to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Cayman and Aruba never ran across a mosquito. Your mileage will vary in Panama and Costa Rica, depending on whether you are heading into the forest on tours, etc.

What they say about standing water is true, if you are near any such areas you will notice it more. Any kind of water movement prevents breeding of eggs. Here in the Everglades, when you are on an island hammock, they are fierce. Go into the sawgrass where the water flows- mosquito free!

The worst experience I ever had was at the pyramids in Belize, in a low lying area. I was attacked, terribly, and mosquitoes don't even LIKE me!

The only time mosquitos are prevalent are dawn and dusk in less developed areas. During regular day time you will be hard pressed to find one. To be on the safe side just cover up as much as possible and take a good bug spray.

This is incorrect. The mosquito which transmits Zika and several other diseases is active during the day, so precautions should be taken then as well. It is other mosquitos which are active at dusk and dawn.

This is incorrect. The mosquito which transmits Zika and several other diseases is active during the day, so precautions should be taken then as well. It is other mosquitos which are active at dusk and dawn.

I stated that they prevalent at dawn and dusk which is when they feed. Staying in populated areas during the day greatly reduces the chances of encountering them.