Lobster on Norwegian

mmwcpt

Forgive me for saying this, but what is with the lobster? People are acting like it's the end of the world not having it served on a cruise ship. I am grateful for all of the food served on a cruise. Nicely presented, prepared properly, and no dishes to do! If I can't have lobster for dinner, no big deal.
I guess for me, it has to do with loving seafood. Lobster is one that we do not order often at home unless it's a special occasion due to the price. I think a vacation on a cruise ship is a special occasion for many people. In comparison, people who love red meat would be very disappointed if they started to remove "Prime rib" or "steaks". There is a certain level of specialty foods that are simply special and people come to expect that on a cruise...at least in a specialty restaurant and especially since the trips usually cost a pretty penny. If they find it too costly to offer it, then at least offer it with an upcharge. I personally do not know why they removed it when it's been a staple for so many years.

I think that's a great idea. If the lobster cannot be served as a "cruise staple", then offering it with a charge would be acceptable and everyone would be happy.

This is exactly what they do. Lobster is on the MDR menu for an upcharge every night. Or at least it was two months ago when I was on the Breakaway.

When we were on the Epic in January

Sorry, don't know what happened to the end of my post...

When we were on the Epic in January there was no lobster in Teppanyaki or any other specialty restaurants, non in the Haven either. Only lobster was in MDR for a fee, although I read that was ending too

Safe sailing

• 3 weeks later...
Just finished cruise Canary Islands Spirit did five speciality dining BELIEVE me no lobster! I fear this line is heading to Carnival food.

Could they just serve it in a speciality restaurant? We were told they took off 4 months ago.

The food was pretty bad.

Back to Celebrity for us[/quote

I've been on quite a few "Carnival" cruises and there is always lobster!!! And Princess too. This will be my first time with NCL and their price is higher, and it seems they are cheaper not giving you the option of lobster at least one night. I did Celebrity once and I was bored with the food choices!!

I've been on quite a few "Carnival" cruises and there is always lobster!!! And Princess too. This will be my first time with NCL and their price is higher, and it seems they are cheaper not giving you the option of lobster at least one night. I did Celebrity once and I was bored with the food choices!!

Not sure why you put Carnival in quotes. Is there some underlying message, like you have never been on a real Carnival cruise?

There have been no complimentary lobsters on NCL for several years. Nothing new or dramatic there.

During the lobster shortage last year, lobsters were removed from Specialty menus at the end of August 2016. If you can't reliably source the product, then you can't offer it on the menu.

Kinda early in the season, but enjoy Alaska and the Pearl.

Yup....for those of us who live away from your region and it moves to something that you pretty much find at the nicer restaurants you may only visit for special occasions.

But the stuff served on cruise ships is really not a delicacy, since it is rock lobster and frozen. Even most advertised as "Maine" lobster is frozen, and this adversely affects the texture of the product. Even on land, unless you go to a place that flies in live lobsters and holds them in a tank, you are getting frozen lobster. We had a "Red Lobster" in South Portland that folded after a couple of years, because their product was always coming frozen from the Midwest.

I've shipped live Maine lobsters as far west as the PA/OH boarder with no ill effects to flavor or texture.

There are several places on the New England coast that will over-night lobsters around the country. Not gonna work for the volume needed on a cruise ship, obviously, but if you just want the lobstah hit for your family, it's available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've shipped live Maine lobsters as far west as the PA/OH boarder with no ill effects to flavor or texture.

There are several places on the New England coast that will over-night lobsters around the country. Not gonna work for the volume needed on a cruise ship, obviously, but if you just want the lobstah hit for your family, it's available.

Yes, you can keep a bug on chill for a day or two, and ship virtually anywhere in the world, but after that time, it will most likely die, and you don't want that.

Not sure why you put Carnival in quotes. Is there some underlying message, like you have never been on a real Carnival cruise?

There have been no complimentary lobsters on NCL for several years. Nothing new or dramatic there.

During the lobster shortage last year, lobsters were removed from Specialty menus at the end of August 2016. If you can't reliably source the product, then you can't offer it on the menu.

Kinda early in the season, but enjoy Alaska and the Pearl.

No, I have been on real Carnival cruises and at least 2 nights during a 7 day cruise, we had lobster. You made the statement like Carnival was a step below. I have never had any problems with them, and really find them equal in a lot of ways to the more expensive cruises. In fact, I have enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises. :) The last time they gave us free cocktails, a free bottle of wine, and 2 nights of specialty dining, so they are competing with the others, and usually their prices are the best.

Same with Princess cruises, never a lobster shortage, and we always had good meals there. I think when we did Celebrity 12 day, we had lobster once. And, like I said, by the 7th day, we were quite bored with their menu offerings. Maybe it was because it was too long.

I just was very surprised that they did not offer the lobster on NCL, as we never had that on any other cruises, and we have been on 11 cruises. The price on this cruise is a little more expensive than the others we looked at, but we felt with the free specialty dining and credits towards excursions that it was worth it.

My travel agent says May is the best for Alaska because you have a better chance of seeing wildlife and whales. Have you done the Peal and Alaska?

Thanks for your reply.

We sailed on the Jewel for the past two years. Once in June and August of last year. Similar itinerary out of Seattle (different glacier). We spent hours on our balcony watching whales and dolphin. It's magical!

We did a Princess from Vancouver to Whittier. I felt that that was a better itinerary and more whales. NCL Sun does that Itinerary.

Last year, we went when the salmon were running and saw a lot more bear.

• 1 month later...

WE have done round trip from Seattle and southbound from Whittier. Loved both versions. We went in early early June both times and the glaciers were right down in the water. Was amazing. Parents went in late summer and said they could not even see some of the glaciers.

We sailed on the Jewel for the past two years. Once in June and August of last year. Similar itinerary out of Seattle (different glacier). We spent hours on our balcony watching whales and dolphin. It's magical!

We did a Princess from Vancouver to Whittier. I felt that that was a better itinerary and more whales. NCL Sun does that Itinerary.

Last year, we went when the salmon were running and saw a lot more bear.

• 1 month later...
Remember when we complained that it was only warm water lobster that was served? I guess the push for specialty dining is getting stronger.

NCL has a major habit of nickel and diming you to death...I am going on an NCL cruise in nov. and am normally a Celebrity cruiser..but going with friends...Celebrity ALWAYS has lobster one nite..and I went on Carnival with a GF last year and they had one nite of lobster tails ( WAITER asked if we wanted to order 2 at one time since they were smallish--other formal nite was BEEF WELLINGTON...and this was CARNIVAL !! so be forewarned...

Forgive me for saying this, but what is with the lobster? People are acting like it's the end of the world not having it served on a cruise ship. I am grateful for all of the food served on a cruise. Nicely presented, prepared properly, and no dishes to do! If I can't have lobster for dinner, no big deal.

I feel the same way. I enjoy the food that they have, cooked by someone else, nicely served, and others do the dishes, I don't have to.

If I want lobster, I can have it anytime I want--------other than on a cruise ship. I live in New England.

Can we please move along. The original post for this thread is from 10 months ago. There are threads dating back to 2008 bemoaning the loss of lobster night on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, and Princess. Just because it is not available on a particular cruise does not mean that it is gone forever or that someone is trying to seize your right to lobster.

Just finished cruise Canary Islands Spirit did five speciality dining BELIEVE me no lobster! I fear this line is heading to Carnival food.

Could they just serve it in a speciality restaurant? We were told they took off 4 months ago.

The food was pretty bad.

Back to Celebrity for us

Carnival food is a lot better than Norwegian..and they have Lobster night in the regular dining rooms on elegant night.

Carnival food is a lot better than Norwegian..and they have Lobster night in the regular dining rooms on elegant night.

Well then. If lobster if someone's deal breaker all they have to do is choose Carnival.

Food likes, dislikes, and preferences are very subjective. I've sailed on both lines and totally prefer NCL over Carnival food....so I can't say one is better than the other for "everyone", just for myself. I can live without Lobster and would never choose a cruise because of it.

These is no lobster what so ever served on Norwegian not even in specialty restaurants. It changed a year ago.

There is a Lobster dish in Bayamo on the Escape. I had it on our June cruise. We enjoyed every dish we had at this very excellent restaurant.

These is no lobster what so ever served on Norwegian not even in specialty restaurants. It changed a year ago.

Sorry to disagree but less than a year ago one couple in our group had lobster in Cagney's. There was also a lobster dish in La Cochina that none of us ordered.