Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

We were just upgraded 3 days ago and sail on Sat the 10th.

It does look like patience is the key as most are reporting they are having their bids accepted about one week prior to sailing.

I would say that if they accept your bid much earlier than that you may have overbid:eek:

I had booked through a travel agent, and it took a while, but yesterday I received the bid letter. We currently have 2 mini suites. I have a few questions, so any input would be appreciated. Obviously I want both cabins upgraded to Haven. If I bid the same amounts for each, do you think both would get accepted or neither? It does me no good if only 2/4 can use the Haven amenities. Also, we have only sailed ncl once before, and we were in the Haven. I would like to win the bid, but hate to overpay. Any input on if I need to be on strong range. Bid offers ranged from $500 to $3000 if I remember correctly. I'd love to stay near the $1000 to $1500 range. Thanks for any insights or opinions.

I had booked through a travel agent, and it took a while, but yesterday I received the bid letter. We currently have 2 mini suites. I have a few questions, so any input would be appreciated. Obviously I want both cabins upgraded to Haven. If I bid the same amounts for each, do you think both would get accepted or neither? It does me no good if only 2/4 can use the Haven amenities. Also, we have only sailed ncl once before, and we were in the Haven. I would like to win the bid, but hate to overpay. Any input on if I need to be on strong range. Bid offers ranged from $500 to $3000 if I remember correctly. I'd love to stay near the $1000 to $1500 range. Thanks for any insights or opinions.

Your sailing is a bit difference since it is a holiday sailing. I would guess the typical bid on this sailing will need to be higher than a "normal" sailing, but I could be wrong. I would say big a number you are comfortable with and, if you get it, great. If you don't that's OK, you bid as high as you were willing to go. "Typical" sailings seem to go for $500-$1,000 per person to jump up to a Courtyard, so you may want to do more than that, HOWEVER there seems to be a TON of inventory in The Haven. Another option - for about $1500 per person you can probably just straight upgrade to a Spa Haven suite. Prices are down to $3,999 pp.

As for if both would be accepted, etc, no-one really knows the methodology. Its entirely possible you could both bid the same exact amount and only one get upgraded. It'll all depend on availability, bid amounts, and likely the amount initially paid for your current stateroom.

Discussed a couple of times with NCL repr. You only get the Upgrade Bidding email IF you booked direct with NCL or your Travel Agency company is participating in the system. (It may cost them something ? Or do they not want you dealing direct with NCL? or why would they not participate?)

You cannot request an email to bid if your Agency does not participate. And there is no other Upgrade process - just have to pay full price difference for an upgrade.

I use a big well known agency Crxxxxx dot com and they do not participate. So I am out of luck to upgrade at a discounted amount.

From now on, I will likely book direct or find an agency that does participate. The chance to upgrade and save $400 or more is a big benefit.

So let your agency know your position if they do not participate.

PS. Only Escape and Getaway are using Upgrade Advantage now, but likely to be on all ships over the next 12 months.

I had the same issue. I booked with American Airlines Travel agency and they did not opt into the upsell program. We bit the bullet and decided to pay the difference for a H9 (Haven Spa Suite). Travel Agencies that don't participate in the program want the additional revenue from any potential upgrades.

Hello - In case I missed it, does the message go to your email address or does it go to the message box on your NCL account.

Thanks in advance!

Your email. Most have reported it showing up in their SPAM folder. Also if you booked with a travel agent, there's a good chance you won't be able to bid - most have "opted out" of the program (that's according to NCL....its possible they only chose a few TAs to include in the initial roll out). If you booked directly and did not receive the email, I've heard you may be able to call the Upsell department and request an email from them.

According to NCL's Upsell department, they send the emails out for Haven upsell bids exactly 80 days from sailing. For those in inside & ocean view rooms, those upsell emails go out 2-3 weeks from sailing. You can still only upsell a max of 2 categories, so if you're in an inside, the highest category you can go is up to a balcony, ocean view to minisuite.

I had the same issue. I booked with American Airlines Travel agency and they did not opt into the upsell program. We bit the bullet and decided to pay the difference for a H9 (Haven Spa Suite). Travel Agencies that don't participate in the program want the additional revenue from any potential upgrades.

A rep in NCL's Upsell department told me it was because of the number of emails - every single upsell email that goes to a customer also goes to the TAs. They didn't want the influx of messages. I don't buy the revenue piece, because there are very few folks that would do what you did and pay the retail difference - I'm one of those who won't pay retail price on a Haven suite, but I'll definitely jump on an upsell (just did it on our NYE Epic sailing - saved $1,500 off retail for our Spa Haven). More often than not they're going to get more revenue if they allow their customers to upsell, unless its uncommissioned.

Your email. Most have reported it showing up in their SPAM folder. Also if you booked with a travel agent, there's a good chance you won't be able to bid - most have "opted out" of the program (that's according to NCL....its possible they only chose a few TAs to include in the initial roll out). If you booked directly and did not receive the email, I've heard you may be able to call the Upsell department and request an email from them.

According to NCL's Upsell department, they send the emails out for Haven upsell bids exactly 80 days from sailing. For those in inside & ocean view rooms, those upsell emails go out 2-3 weeks from sailing. You can still only upsell a max of 2 categories, so if you're in an inside, the highest category you can go is up to a balcony, ocean view to minisuite.

Exactly 20 days for me then. Thanks!!!

We are in a balcony and our friends are in an inside, we both got the email the same day, I'm guessing it was 80 days out, we sail Jan 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you pay a lot for your original room? In the past they have moved me up for free when I had done this my friends got it from balcony to mini for free last march. But you being below a balcony makes it a great deal...

No, I got the original OV Guaranty for $549pp for a holiday sailing over Thanksgiving. BTW, I did get spa access and was able to cancel my pre-paid spa pass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I guess unlike an auction, you don't know what anyone else has bid to buy an upgrade. How do you know if you are just increasing your bid, when no one else has bid or you are already the highest bid?

Exactly! In my opinion just make a low or perhaps 'fair' bid and then have patience. I've read on these boards where two people each got the same type of category on the same day one week prior to sailing. One had paid hundreds more for the same category. NCL is going to wait on some of these to see if they can sell the cabin their regular way. Then, when sailing is almost here, they will take what they can to get a few more $$ for that cabin.

If a certain cabin means that much to you, and you can see there are only a couple of cabins left, go for it at whatever you can afford. Otherwise, take it easy and wait it out. Many are getting a great deal one week prior. I'm always happy to go in my original cabin.....or pick up a cheap upgrade:D

We got an upsell offer to bid on DOS but the web site has shown this category sold out for months? Would they have held this category for some reason or did they make a mistake by allowing us to bid on something that isn't available?

Just got the upgrade offer for 12-24 Escape sailing from one out of the 9 cabin group we are going with. The current cabin was an inside cabin.

For a Balcony the range was from $50 - 400 per person. The current difference in the price of the cabins on the NCL site was about $250 pp

For an oceanview, the range was from $25-200pp and the difference was about $190pp on the NCL site.

Any thoughts on the lowest we should bid for either one? Not a necessity for the upgrade but wouldn't mind playing the game.

I put in a low bid but haven't heard anything.

We got an upsell offer to bid on DOS but the web site has shown this category sold out for months? Would they have held this category for some reason or did they make a mistake by allowing us to bid on something that isn't available?

In case someone cancels.