Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

A few days ago I turned down an upsell from BB to H3 for $1000 and the agent was very surprised I said no. So I guess people are bidding even more than that.

Total or per person? If total, why did you even call LOL

I hope we can start to see a pattern of what is being accepted/suite type.

I was prepared to call for my February cruise and may just place the bid for what

we were willing to spend (and if it were $1000 total, I would jump LOL).

I wonder about this phenomenon too (I watched it happen on my October 2nd cruise to Bermuda before I bit the bullet and upgraded to the haven myself). I don't think it's related to the bidding, or the upsells. It must be people putting temporary holds on haven rooms and then letting them expire. I'm not sure exactly why. The only thing is, the holds last a day usually and I"ve seen rooms disappear for a few hours and then reappear, so I can't figure it, travel agents or pcc's putting holds on the rooms? Still not sure why.

If you do a mock booking - even without a courtesy hold, it "ties up" the cabin in the system for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. This happened to me once, as I was vacillating between 2 rooms and ended up locking myself out of the one I wanted. My PCC had to get on the phone with IT to get the system to release the room.

I've been out of the NCL loop for a bit and stopped by after pricing out a few cruises this morning.

Very interesting pricing strategy. Maybe it was discussed, but it seems like this would create a huge domino effect of rotating inventory availability. The nerd in me wonders what kind of software they have that can accurately manage inventory and pricing with a setup that is so fluid.

On the other hand, it seems like they are having a hard time filling their high priced cabins or the upsell game got out of hand. I've said before, there absolutely no way I would pay $7,500+ for a week in a Haven cabin knowing the guy next to me may have got that same cabin through Upsell for $2500. I totally get the benefit to an early booking and yeah, you may not get the <90 day out fire sale price, but that is way too significant for me to justify.

I've said before, there absolutely no way I would pay $7,500+ for a week in a Haven cabin knowing the guy next to me may have got that same cabin through Upsell for $2500. I totally get the benefit to an early booking and yeah, you may not get the <90 day out fire sale price, but that is way too significant for me to justify.

I just don't understand that line of thinking. If you are happy on the day that you book and are (obviously) willing to pay that price, why does it matter if the person next door paid less?

If the person next door paid $1500 more, would that make someone feel better?

On the flip side, if someone in an inside accepts an offer for the Haven for $500pp, should that person "feel bad" for the person next door who paid more?

I just don't get how what someone else paid makes a difference. :confused:

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I've been out of the NCL loop for a bit and stopped by after pricing out a few cruises this morning.

Very interesting pricing strategy. Maybe it was discussed, but it seems like this would create a huge domino effect of rotating inventory availability. The nerd in me wonders what kind of software they have that can accurately manage inventory and pricing with a setup that is so fluid.

On the other hand, it seems like they are having a hard time filling their high priced cabins or the upsell game got out of hand. I've said before, there absolutely no way I would pay $7,500+ for a week in a Haven cabin knowing the guy next to me may have got that same cabin through Upsell for $2500. I totally get the benefit to an early booking and yeah, you may not get the <90 day out fire sale price, but that is way too significant for me to justify.

I would have to agree! If and when I ever get into the Haven again I will call the up sell department and get it for dirt cheap. Or it wasn't for the having.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would have to agree! If and when I ever get into the Haven again I will call the up sell department and get it for dirt cheap. Or it wasn't for the having.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I know someone who received one for December 18 Getaway cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just booked the Thanksgiving day cruise on Wednesday and on Thursday I recieved an email from NCL about bidding for a mini suite $25 pp or 6 different Haven's ranging from $300pp to $750pp. Since I booked BX for only $649pp, I would like to bid on one, but don't want to until I am under the 30 day window. This reminds me of Delta, they offer non frequent flyers at day of check in an opportunity to upgrade to first class....bumping any frequent fliers opportunity for the free upgrades

I just booked the Thanksgiving day cruise on Wednesday and on Thursday I recieved an email from NCL about bidding for a mini suite $25 pp or 6 different Haven's ranging from $300pp to $750pp. Since I booked BX for only $649pp, I would like to bid on one, but don't want to until I am under the 30 day window. This reminds me of Delta, they offer non frequent flyers at day of check in an opportunity to upgrade to first class....bumping any frequent fliers opportunity for the free upgrades

Remember highest bids will be given the upsell about 48 hours before sailing most likely the lowest bids will

Not be accepted. This is just like the airlines do on the international flights

I was really hoping to get the chance to at least bid on an upgrade to surprise the SO.

Ohh well I guess.

Don't like this new method of bidding but I am sure eventually this will go fleetwide. Of course the highest bids will be accepted so if you bid the minimum bid it probably a big waste of time.

Just curious to see when the last week of Dec. cruise emails go out.

Be interesting to see how many bid options there are for the xmas and New Years itineraries.

Has anyone gotten an invitation for anything past December 15th?

Me too, as I sail on Escape Dec 31 :-)

Current Haven Inventory:

14 H4 @ $9,999 pp

AT LEAST 15 H5 @ $7,899 pp

3 H6 @ $6,899 pp

8 H9 @ $6,499 pp

We're 91 days out, so I imagine a few rooms will continue to shake loose. These prices are BANANAS!

We sail on the Getaway on 11/27 and we have not received an email about bidding. Can we still call for an upgrade or did they do away with that also? We are in an inside gty and had planned to call for an upsell 2 weeks prior.

Getaway and Escape upsells only by bids. This method will eventually go fleetwide

Can only bid if e mail received

Edited by sjnyc323

If they roll this out fleetwide, look for a site like betterbidding dot com or biddingfortravel dot com where people will post the winning bids, allowing savvy bidders to know exactly what the lowest selling price is ...

But also expect that there are people who will be totally turned off this model and move on to other lines that price their suites fairly to begin with.

I just posted about this! I actually received the email also (11.6 Getaway sailing) and for S&G, put in a bid for an upgrade. If it's accepted, then my CC will be charged, it not, my cabin will remain the same. I don't really care either way, cuz it's just basically a bigger bathroom and a different deck. but I'm curious to see if my low ball bid will be accepted. lol