Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

I wonder if the bids are in the currency that you purchased the ticket?

For instance, when I had the upsell to the Haven, I paid the $1500 in CDN, whereas my friend (who also did the upsell) paid $1500 USD...based on the original currency we purchased the cruise...

Must be a fair amount of people interested in bidding. Haven cabins keep disappearing and reappearing. At one point the NCL website showed the Haven to be all sold out. Then later they were back.

I wonder about this phenomenon too (I watched it happen on my October 2nd cruise to Bermuda before I bit the bullet and upgraded to the haven myself). I don't think it's related to the bidding, or the upsells. It must be people putting temporary holds on haven rooms and then letting them expire. I'm not sure exactly why. The only thing is, the holds last a day usually and I"ve seen rooms disappear for a few hours and then reappear, so I can't figure it, travel agents or pcc's putting holds on the rooms? Still not sure why.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

Which ship? Most H2 and H3 only sleep up to 4 except Escape H2 does 6.

That would be interesting if you did win the bid and then they figure out there are 6 and the room only holds 4.

Getaway. It's funny because upgrade offer page has all six of our names on it, but the rooms they are offering are just for 4. :)

This would not surprise me. Airlines are considering a similar system for FC upgrades, some have tested. I know a few other cruise lines were considering testing this as well.

I would suspect this email is also a test and may be limited to a single cruise or at most ship.

It just started on Escape and Getaway so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Getaway. It's funny because upgrade offer page has all six of our names on it, but the rooms they are offering are just for 4. :)

This tells me it's a totally automated system to take the people (upsell agents) out of the equation. Sure, it will probably maximize revenue as once all the bids are in three days out the system will take 0.00005 seconds to make a cascade of re-assignments. I can't help but feel it will also generate a lot of problems as shown here. I also wonder if since you are basically bidding on a guarantee if they can upgrade you. Say you want and bid on a H9 spa suite, can they assign a H7 penthouse or H4 family suite? As I said I would be very hesitant to basically bid on any guarantee cabin at any level.

I am wondering what happens to my mini suite guarantee if people who originally booked insides are bidding to upgrade for $25? We don't have a cabin assigned and have not been "invited to bid" so not sure where we will end up in this new process. When originally booked I figured there really are no bad mini suites so rolled the dice.

Last year we booked in a Mini with large balcony and were upsold two weeks before to aft penthouse and loved it. I was hoping this opportunity might present itself again this year, but doesn't seem likely with this new system.

At least when we booked the gty back in January, they were giving the two promos, so I guess that is something...

This tells me it's a totally automated system to take the people (upsell agents) out of the equation. Sure, it will probably maximize revenue as once all the bids are in three days out the system will take 0.00005 seconds to make a cascade of re-assignments. I can't help but feel it will also generate a lot of problems as shown here. I also wonder if since you are basically bidding on a guarantee if they can upgrade you. Say you want and bid on a H9 spa suite, can they assign a H7 penthouse or H4 family suite? As I said I would be very hesitant to basically bid on any guarantee cabin at any level.

We just did our bids this morning. Each category is separate with a little meter that tells you the minimum bid you may make, your bid is per person for the 1st & 2nd passenger. We are already in a balcony on the hump, so we were offered a mini suite for as low as $25, which we totally passed on because there is no way we would give up what we have to move to a mini suite in an unknown location, we like the larger balcony.

To give you an idea of the minimum bids, we could have an H9, H7, H6 or H5 starting at $300 per person, an H4 started at $500 and the H3 had a $750 minimum bid. They bill your credit card for what ever category you have the winning bid for. Before you submit your offer they give you a summery of your bid(s) along with what your total due for the cabin will be. In the past we have received a call from the upsell desk to move to the Haven, we shall see in 6 weeks if our bid was accepted, if not, we are happy with what we have :)

I am wondering what happens to my mini suite guarantee if people who originally booked insides are bidding to upgrade for $25? We don't have a cabin assigned and have not been "invited to bid" so not sure where we will end up in this new process. When originally booked I figured there really are no bad mini suites so rolled the dice.

Last year we booked in a Mini with large balcony and were upsold two weeks before to aft penthouse and loved it. I was hoping this opportunity might present itself again this year, but doesn't seem likely with this new system.

Unfortunately Mini suites are one category I would never book guarantee, I find many of their locations objectionable. In fact I find this true with all categories, perhaps a bit less with balconies and in the Haven. If you don't end up moving you will still get at a Mini Suite or better. If you are booked on one of these cruises testing the new bidding system I'm unsure if you will be able to use the old upsell system.

Edited by Até

Are you allowed to bid on several different categories at the same time? And if you are bidding on Haven, are selecting a specific category like a H-5 or H-9?

So much difference in cabins.....this should get interesting!

Yes - you can bid on any or all the categories you choose - with different dollar amount bids for each.

I bid pretty low on every Haven that started at $300 per person but skipped a bid on the mini-suite and higher end Haven's which started at $750 - we are currently in a balcony (BC).

The bid meter barely even moved based on how low my bids were so I'm anticipating ZERO chance of being bumped up.

Bid ranges by category

We are in balcony (BC). Min & Max bids from the offer below...

H2 - $750 - $3000

H3 - $750 - $3000

H4 - $500 - $2000

H5 through H9 - $300 - $1500

Mini-Suite - $25 - $200

Is that per person? 1st and 2nd or if you have more -- everyone?

Do you know if it is in the currency you purchased the cruise (CDN/USD) or only in USD???

Bid ranges by category

We are in balcony (BC). Min & Max bids from the offer below...

H2 - $750 - $3000

H3 - $750 - $3000

H4 - $500 - $2000

H5 through H9 - $300 - $1500

Mini-Suite - $25 - $200

Thanks for the info. H9 is spa suite. Mini seem reasonable. I'd say all the Havens max bids are a bit above normal upsell asking price. I bet they'd instantly give you the room for the max bid, if they actually have it open at the time.

I'm curious how long it takes for someone to get a response about their bid...if it actually will be 48 hours before sailing like it says it could be or earlier than that. I'll bee stalking the thread to see what some of you sailing in November get out of this. That might make me decide to wait out the bidding or call the upsell dept.