Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

This eliminates the up sell department saving money on no employees. So when it goes fleet wide next year there will be no more up sell number to call you just bid.

Now it also is like ebay they can put a cap on it so rooms will not go for less than they want to let them go.

So don't think you will get a Haven Suite for $50 a person. And if you do that wont last long they will set it up how I explained.

This is not for you to save money over the old system they never will put anything in place to save you money. This will be more money but it will open it up to more upgrades who normally would not call the number they now remove the human eliminate.

Everyone on here needs to face the fact that I would say at least 80% of the folks that get a haven suite only do it on the up sell cause they can not afford the original cost and still go on 2 to 4 cruises a year. My self included.

If you are accustomed to short selling open Escape cabins, this is a net negative for you, but in general this will be a win win for the line and the customer in general (specific passengers will do better or worse based on their specific cruise and expectations)....

I spoke to some folks, this is still a test, and they will be changing quite a few things before it rolls out fleet wide. Right now they are trying to determine timing, do they allow rebidding or blind bidding only, is it a locked upgrade if you win or can you decline to second bidder, etc. So you may see different versions of this for a while. I point this out to make sure that everyone understands that any posted results right now could change even on the following cruise.

I am sailing Getaway end of February in a spa balcony.

I had planned on calling upsell if there were Haven cabins left (I sail both Haven/non Haven).

If I knew I would be happy with $750 per person, would it be best for me to just

bid with $1500? If I were the first person to bid and bidding started then at $1500, I wonder what the increments would be for each remaining bid.

How many days prior to sailing can you bid and at what time of day does bidding end?

I am guessing there will be bidding wars right up until the deadline.

Thank you.

Myself and my friends traveling with us on the December Getaway sailing just received this email also. We booked an inside guarantee room.

Going to try to get a ocean view or balcony and see what happens!

Interesting! Did they give a minimum bid for you to go from Inside to OV or Balcony?

I'm on Getaway Nov. 6th - no email as of yet.

In the same boat on this sailing, no e-mail yet. Don't think I'll upgrade from my mini suite anyways but very curious just to see how this looks / works.

Is it actually a website to bid on certain specific cabins? When does bidding close?

Interesting! Did they give a minimum bid for you to go from Inside to OV or Balcony?

I attached some snippets from the actual email we received...when you click the link they take you to a site where I could bid any amount I wanted on the balcony or ocean view (or both)...

Haven't gotten an answer yet, not sure how long this will take but I'm curious to see what happens. I'm fine with an inside but if I can get upgraded for a small fee why not?

Capture.jpg.3470eef1c212afeec1cfa4ce774d5c64.jpg

Capture2.jpg.4da632d2e1be9d9a0190d247bd394875.jpg

I am very interested in seeing how this all works out....Hoping people will post their results both good and bad.
I hope folks post results as well. Not something I would do and I'm a gambler. My most used airline has done this with trips and experiences and my bank has done it with experiences, but it sure is a different twist on a silent auction. It would also be interesting from a revenue side, whether NCL makes more with upsells or with the auctions, we will probably be able to tell if it was successful to them, if it goes line wide.

That is a great price.....we just upgraded to a Haven Spa suite on the BA, from a mini spa suite, for $500 a person.

I tried my bid a little higher than what was in the email...they have a little gauge thing on the page that says if your bid is "poor" or "great" which I'm sure is to try and get people to go high.

I am sailing Getaway end of February in a spa balcony.

I had planned on calling upsell if there were Haven cabins left (I sail both Haven/non Haven).

If I knew I would be happy with $750 per person, would it be best for me to just

bid with $1500? If I were the first person to bid and bidding started then at $1500, I wonder what the increments would be for each remaining bid.

How many days prior to sailing can you bid and at what time of day does bidding end?

I am guessing there will be bidding wars right up until the deadline.

Thank you.

i am sailing in march on a spa balacony. did you get a email. what will we be able to bid on?

I wonder if anyone will get into a bidding war that will be so intense that the final overall cost will be higher than if they had booked the Haven in the first place.

Some people have that "I gotta win..." mentality. Just like some of the pseudo chair police. :p

That is exactly what NCL wants! Pretty smart, actually. As soon as the offer is made on the phone, and someone accepts, there goes their chance to get more $ for the same cabin. Now they can.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

That is exactly what NCL wants! Pretty smart, actually. As soon as the offer is made on the phone, and someone accepts, there goes their chance to get more $ for the same cabin. Now they can.

Also, a direct pay from the customer to NCL...commission free I would assume... straight profit for NCL without having to compensate those pesky TA's for the pricier cabins.

I wonder if anyone will get into a bidding war that will be so intense that the final overall cost will be higher than if they had booked the Haven in the first place.:p

That's what happens on ebay, people ramp up the bidding in the last few minutes and many times they end up bidding what it would have cost them to go out and buy it for retail

Got answers to a few questions, not others (and its important to note this is still in test, could change tomorrow)

You will only get an email if there is an upgrade available for your cabin class and fare combo (for example, CAS is not eligible, as are certain promo fares) - this is the same as basically being told no upsell for you.

There is no guarantee there will be a winning bid for any cabin class, if that cabin is sold prior to auction close bids will be discarded.

If multiple cabins available in class, bids will win in descending order until all rooms assigned.

Could not get answer to:

Is there any way to request a different cabin if you win..

As close date gets closer, will there be active bidding against winning bids or will it continue to be bling bidding.