Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

I booked through TA and our ship is sailing on Jan 28th. Have not receive any email to upgrade so far. I want to call the upsell dept but what do I tell them? I called customer service and the lady told me that she cannot give me the upsell dept number unless I had receive email from them offering me upgrades and since I booked with a TA that I need to contact my TA for any upgrades. Is that true? I have never done anything like this would appreciate any input. We have 5 in our group and currently booked OV, would love to upgrade to haven if possible

If it is the online bidding system you cannot upgrade to a Haven from an OV. Max of 2 meta upgrade and when it goes live to other ships on February 8th you would only be able to cross 1 meta to a balcony.

If it is the online bidding system you cannot upgrade to a Haven from an OV. Max of 2 meta upgrade and when it goes live to other ships on February 8th you would only be able to cross 1 meta to a balcony.

Why would they only be able to cross 1 meta starting February 8th? NCL's T&C's for the Upgrade Advantage Program state you can bid on up to 2 categories higher.

This brings up a question from me. On the newer ships there are no "S" category rooms. It goes from mini suites to Haven rooms. On many other ships including the Jewel Class ships there is an S category as well as H. With the new bidding system will they merge bidding opportunities for both of these categories for balcony and above bookings or will people in "B" category rooms only be able to bid on mini suites and suites but not Haven rooms?

I doubt NCL has an answer for this as a supervisor I spoke to yesterday was misinformed about an important aspect of the bidding process. She thought you only had 48 hours after your initial bid to modify it or cancel it but that is very incorrect. You have until 48 hours of your departure to revise or cancel it as long as it has not already been accepted.

NCL is awful when it comes to educating their employees. I don't blame the supervisor. I blame the suits that could care less if customers are given accurate information.

Edited by kdzkatz

We r on the dawn in feb. booked inOV. Got an off ear to bid all the way up to owners suite.

Did you get an offer to bid or an upsell offer? Upsell is an email to pay just a flat rate to upgrade to a suite. When did you get your email? We are on the Dawn in March.

What is meta? :confused:

Thanks.

I believe it is in reference to going from an inside to an ocean view (1 meta upgrade) or from a balcony to a suite(double meta). Those are just examples. Pretty much going up to the next tier of rooms would be a meta.

I think are each of NCL's tiers are: inside,ocean view, balcony, mini suite, suite & Haven.

I believe it is in reference to going from an inside to an ocean view (1 meta upgrade) or from a balcony to a suite(double meta). Those are just examples. Pretty much going up to the next tier of rooms would be a meta.

I think are each of NCL's tiers are: inside,ocean view, balcony, mini suite, suite & Haven.

Thanks!

Edited by destiny217

So are mini suites their own category when they are really just glorified balconies? will you not be allowed to bid from Balcony to suite or balcony to Haven?

i know on BA the minis have bigger bathrooms but the rest is pretty much the same as a regular balc.

no clue about bidding

i do know if near sailing date your mini price goes down to balc they probably will let you move

We bid on all categories and got nothing. We leave in two days and just found out at 1pm that our bids weren't accepted. I thought we bid pretty aggressively but it also looked like the ship was sold out. Our bids were in the fair range .

Would you mind sharing what your bid was and the room type? Trying to get an idea as my window for bidding should open up - if I get the email- in a few days.

Thanks!

Mary

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by maryisme

On the escape it was actual bidding and the bid o meter said if it was a low bid high bid etc. on that one we bid low but then raised it. Not sure how much but our bid d was accepted. On the dawn it was an upgrade at a certain price. That's how it was for us anyway. On the dawn we had OV category and got an offer to upgrade to SC category. So that's was more then 1 category upgrade

We have done a few upsells and have been happy with the results. I really liked the ability to choose from available categories and locations.

I don't like the blind bidding on just a class of room (I.e. Haven). Essentially you are now just booking a guaranteed cabin and you could bid a lot of money and you may get stuck with a category/location you don't want. I haven't seen anything written where you could refuse.

We will be reluctant to try for Haven upgrades again with this new process.

I've booked a spa mini suite and my husband loves the thermal suite in the spa.

I've bid on an upgrade to the haven, but not the haven spa suite as it's not an option.

Is the haven better than spa access? It's a mid march sailing so hopefully pretty warm.

I'd love to stay in the haven, but if I'm going to pay for the upgrade, I don't want to pay for the thermal suite too.

Any thoughts? Thank you! This is on the Escape.

I've booked a spa mini suite and my husband loves the thermal suite in the spa.

I've bid on an upgrade to the haven, but not the haven spa suite as it's not an option.

Is the haven better than spa access? It's a mid march sailing so hopefully pretty warm.

I'd love to stay in the haven, but if I'm going to pay for the upgrade, I don't want to pay for the thermal suite too.

Any thoughts? Thank you! This is on the Escape.

i was on the BA and i had a haven spa suite in october and a balcony in december

strictly by the weather i would have preferred the haven in the december. it would have given me and the kids much more to do inside in the bad weather until we got to florida. now if you have no kids and you are asking thermal spa vs haven id pick haven every time because it comes with more perks than the spa.

of course theres the argument if you have spa access youd spent a lot of free time in there and not need haven. that has merit. plus if you like the pool and the other therapy rooms then you may get spend more time there.

as you know the spa is just a boring place with nothing to do but relax :) haven may or may not be quiet. but the restaurant is nice and the free room service as well as priority embark/debark are well worth haven!

This article appeared today.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/01/23/norwegian-cruise-line-will-allow-passengers-to-bid-on-cabin-upgrades.html

What is going on now is being called a 'beta test' and will roll out in February.

This is a short part of the article.

Norwegian Cruise Line is rolling out an industry-first for cruise lines in allowing passengers who have already paid for a cruise to bid on an upgrade to a higher category stateroom or suite, according to Travel Market Report.

After undergoing a 60-day beta test and receiving positive feedback from a group of elite travel agents, the Norwegian Upgrade Advantage program is set to launch Feb. 8.

The program will roll out on the Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Epic and Pride of America before expanding to the cruise line's entire fleet by the end of the second quarter.

While guests can't select the exact stateroom if their bid is accepted, the entire system is automated and travel agents receive a commission on the higher fare.

Travel agents can opt out of the program if they wish.

I does NOT mention using this if you book through NCL direct.

another article says

Passengers will not only be able to go through the bidding process with their travel agent of choice, but will also be able to do the bidding themselves online.

Accepted bids will be considered final and can not be refunded

We just passed our 80 day mark and got the upgrade email

We're in an H4 and made an offer to upgrade to H2. Interestingly, those few H2 cabins have been sold out on the NCL site forever. Would they still offer an upgrade if all the rooms in that category were booked? I though we were past the point where cancellations could occur?

Thanks

pellep

We just passed our 80 day mark and got the upgrade email

We're in an H4 and made an offer to upgrade to H2. Interestingly, those few H2 cabins have been sold out on the NCL site forever. Would they still offer an upgrade if all the rooms in that category were booked? I though we were past the point where cancellations could occur?

Thanks

pellep

Welcome to CC. Which ship, what date?

Someone can cancel all the way up to sailing - it just changes how much money you lose.