Cove balconies

debster11

Hi, I am sure this question has been asked numerous times but I haven't been on here for a while. How are these balconies compared to regular ones? I am not sure I want to be so close to the water. Any pros/cons would be welcomed. I am planning a cruise on the Magic.

We had a cove for two weeks on the Breeze. I loved being close to the water and the privacy of the balcony. No sun though, always shade. Be very careful if you pick one as to what is overhead. We were under the galley and all night, every nigh, it sounded like someone was bowling on our ceiling.

I like coves. One of our Magic cruises was in a cove and we have one booked for Thanksgiving on the Breeze. The balcony its self is about 10 sq ft larger. Not really enough to notice. The opening is different as it is cut out from the hull. You will see more fish in the water as you are closer.

I am a balcony girl for sure but on the Dream class ships deck 5 sticks out. So if you want privacy and want to look straight down to the water you need to book fore or aft.

The most important thing about coves is as posted above many are under the galley. Some people report that prep work began as earlier as 3am. Others heard nothing. I suggest asking uncle google about any cabin before you book OR if you have a good PVP (or TA) they will know about noise issues.

Coves are some of the smoothest rides. Remember middle and low to minimize motion. And they are usually the most economical balcony too.

We love balconies but last year was our first time sailing on the Dream class and having a cove balcony. I must say, "I'm a fan!!!" We actually booked the same exact room for our cruise next week except it will be on the Breeze. If a cove is available and I can swing it, that's what we will be in every time from now on!

Aside from being down lower closer to the water the biggest difference is that a cove, while still considered a 'balcony' is a hole cut out of the sheet metal of the hull...the rest of the area is enclosed in sheet metal, thus a more closed in feeling for us.

The balconies on upper decks are fully open with a piece of glass and railing only on the bottom third (or so) , the rest of the space is open to the outside skies/air/ocean in view. The coves are below life boats and very shaded vs. open and sunny (if on the side where the sun is at any given time). You can see thru the glass railing on the upper open balconies, thus can see the ocean and water more easily from inside the cabin too, which is very appealing to us....a big part of the ambiance of cruising to us. Everyone has their own preferences, but we totally prefer the upper deck more open balconies.

I was planning on booking a cove for one of our upcoming cruises but after hearing about how salty the wet the decks can stay on the cove balconies I changed my mind. I like to walk out one my decks barefoot and relax. I wouldn't want to do that on a wet salty deck. I also don't think I'd like a shady deck, it wouldn't give me that sigh of relaxation feeling when I go out and the sun hits my face in the early morning. Once I really thought about why I loved a balcony I realized I'd be giving all those things up in a cove and while I would really like to experience the view that close to the water once to see what it's like, the trade off was too great for me.

I suggest you figure out what makes you love a balcony and see if you'd have to give it up with a cove. If not try a cove, they are usually cheaper so you might find you like them as much or more and you can save some money too.

We have had a cove balcony twice now and love them. They are great if the weather is bad or raining...they can still be used. Also, no worries about it being hot because of no sun. No worries about anyone looking down onto your balcony, they won't be able to see. Also, it's not really windy out there like a normal balcony. Being close to the water is amazing and so neat. :)

Hi, I am sure this question has been asked numerous times but I haven't been on here for a while. How are these balconies compared to regular ones? I am not sure I want to be so close to the water. Any pros/cons would be welcomed. I am planning a cruise on the Magic.

We don't like them at all, in bad weather they will get flooded and they are not very open.

2nd Mother/Daughter cruise booked on the vista in a cove balcony. We've done a regular balcony, aft facing balcony and the aft wrap balcony. We're excited to try the cove, because on the dream class ships the view of the water is obstructed by deck 5. :D

I've tried an Oceanview, Balcony, and just got back from a cruise on the Dream where we had tried a Cove Balcony. I am a huge fan of it! I absolutely LOVED having a regular balcony room after being in ocean view. I knew from that point on I probably could never go back:rolleyes:. I was pretty nervous with trying the Cove Balcony as I had heard such mixed reviews on it. We were a family of 4 in the room, and the balcony never felt crowded. I really enjoyed having three chairs on it vs. only two (from my regular balcony). Ours wasn't shaded all the time, but I think that's due to the fact that we didn't have a life boat above us. There was plenty of sun to be had, although it wasn't as hot as the above balconies. We personally never experienced the salty spray on the balcony, and either we had the most perfect weather, or you really can't feel the "ocean motion" in them. We're also the type of people that use our room a lot (probably more than others but my kids needed lots of "down time" after sun and fun). Because of that, the balcony was almost constantly in use by at least one of us.

I would not hesitate to book a Cove Balcony again, although I'm partial to booking the same one since it didn't have the life boat right above it.

Wanted to add also that it was VERY nice not having that strong wind every time I stepped out! When we stayed in an upper balcony the wind was crazy!

Edited by momof4girls

The cove balcony is a very nice cabin choice. IMHO, it's only rival is an AFT balcony, or maybe a forward cabin (deck 6 or so) on a Dream Class ship! (OK, maybe a suite too) :)

Unless you want full sun, or even partial sun, you should find a little of both. Only at sunrise or sunset though , depending on your course (N/S-E/W). The rest of the time, it is a private shady haven for those who like that kind of atmosphere!:)

We had a cove for two weeks on the Breeze. I loved being close to the water and the privacy of the balcony. No sun though, always shade. Be very careful if you pick one as to what is overhead. We were under the galley and all night, every nigh, it sounded like someone was bowling on our ceiling.

What room? I've tried to find info for our cabin, hard to find....

We love the Cove. Booked our 2nd one, this time on the Magic. Offered my wife a choice of a suite or the Cove and she choose the Cove with no hesitation. This is the site I use to help select the cabin I want. You can drag the decks on top of each other to get a better idea of what might be above and below you. We get a cabin near the excursion deck if possible.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/index.php

Hope it helps.

We have a cove balcony booked on the Breeze in Jan., do you happen to remember what cabin you were in?

What room? I've tried to find info for our cabin, hard to find....

Look for Cove Balcony Cabins, just forward or even with the mid ship elevators. On most ships with Cove Balconies, the galley is between the mid and aft elevator banks. The more aft you go, the more you are under the full galley. Avoid that!!:)