wine corker??

lahlah57

Agree with KK - we bring our own small corkscrew. Its about the size of a fountain pen, so takes up very little room (bring it in your checked luggage for airline flights).

Most times there is one in our cabin, but not always.

Edited by DaveOKC

Never leave home without a corkscrew and a couple of artificial corks. I also carry a black wine sleeve that at a glance will pass for a ladies handbag, handy for carrying a bottle of wine to wherever you want to sip it, ie in a lounge chair at sunset on the promenade deck.

Never leave home without a corkscrew and a couple of artificial corks. I also carry a black wine sleeve that at a glance will pass for a ladies handbag, handy for carrying a bottle of wine to wherever you want to sip it, ie in a lounge chair at sunset on the promenade deck.

Excellent idea about the wine sleeve. We keep wine accessories in our luggage. I'll have to add that to the mix. :)

On our recent land vacation in Spain and Paris we ran into a corkscrew problem in out first city: Madrid. I did not throw one in my suitcase. Alas, when we wanted to enjoy some wine with our snacks on the train to Barcelona, all the wine in the supermarket had corks! No screw caps. :( Where to find a cheap corkscrew?! We walked past a Chinese store that sold just about anything and since DH is Chinese, thought it would be easy to communicate. The lady behind the counter did not speak the same Chinese - and we do not speak much Spanish - so she called the man (husband, I assume) but he only spoke the same Chinese and Spanish. So they called a young girl (the daughter, I assume) who spoke some English. So after a few back-and-forths in three languages and handing over €2 we were on our way with a pretty decent waiter corkscrew. :)

Bladeless corkscrews should be OK in carry-on. I know, you would not be caught dead with one of THOSE! :D

If I'm going to check my bag, I'll pack my vintage Swiss Army knife (Camper model bought in 1973 and it has a corkscrew), my backpacker's cutting board, and my packable acrylic wine glass. All I need for an impromptu picnic anywhere!!! If I'm carrying, I'll pop in the trusty Ah-So that I've had for almost as long as the Knife.

I use a Rabbit at home.

If I'm going to check my bag, I'll pack my vintage Swiss Army knife (Camper model bought in 1973 and it has a corkscrew), my backpacker's cutting board, and my packable acrylic wine glass. All I need for an impromptu picnic anywhere!!! If I'm carrying, I'll pop in the trusty Ah-So that I've had for almost as long as the Knife.

I use a Rabbit at home.

We were doing carry-on with a Barcelona-Paris flight while over there so I was not going to risk losing my Swiss Army knife I bought in Interlaken in 1984!!

I started making a list of impromptu picnicking items for land-vacations. ;)

Edited by Boytjie

Never have been to spain. Along with picking up some.nice spanish wine.....what else is spain known for as far as what would be a good pairing item or items....ie--cheeses....breads...olives???

Edited by lahlah57
Complete.thought.

Never have been to spain. Along with picking up some.nice spanish wine.....what else is spain known for as far as what would be a good pairing item or items....ie--cheeses....breads...olives???

All of the above... and especially jamón ibérico (ham from the Black Iberian pig).

th?id=OIP.Mbeca05ccb69a3bf727e445becac59a82o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Edited by Boytjie

We were doing carry-on with a Barcelona-Paris flight while over there so I was not going to risk losing my Swiss Army knife I bought in Interlaken in 1984!!

I started making a list of impromptu picnicking items for land-vacations. ;)

I'm with you - NEVER bring my SAK when I'm carrying. Pre-knife banning, I always had it in my bag. When we had our vacation house in AZ, I had to buy a second SAK to keep at the house; I feel a little naked without it. We'd go there at least once a month and flew to get there, so bringing it was out of the question post-banning.

For food - Manchego cheese (a sheep's milk cheese - nicely nutty flavor), olives, jamon iberico, nice sausage like fuet, marcona almonds, tuna, anchovies, an olive oil crisp cracker, called "torta de aceite" (comes sweet or savory)... For wine, I always like a Rioja.

Okay everyone.....I am writing everything down! We may have to cancel MDR one of our nights. YUM!:D

Great idea! I'd rather have my own "tapas" one night than yet another ho-hum dinner of mass-generated banquet food in the MDR!

Be prepared for sticker shock if you look at Jamon Iberico Bellota. That one is about $10/oz. The Bellota pigs are free-range and munch on acorns. If you go for just Jamon Iberico, it may be around $6/oz. Straight Iberico pigs are normal farm-raised animals. Still good, but not as "pampered" ;)

Also, Spain has some excellent tinned seafood products. The tuna, anchovies, octopus, all marinated and yummy.

Bladeless corkscrews should be OK in carry-on. I know, you would not be caught dead with one of THOSE! :D

I wouldn't mind a bladeless corkscrew, and there are at least 3 Screwpull corkscrews in our kitchen drawers. (If you or someone you know has trouble with standard corkscrews, get a Screwpull. They're basically idiot proof.)

I'm partial to the Pulltap double-hinged corkscrew for travel. It's got a blade for foil. The double hinge is key though. As a bonus, it opens bottles as well.

If we're taking older bottles or expect a finicky cork, we pack an Ah So corkscrew as well.

Edited by POA1

When in Spain, DON'T miss the stuffed olives. At Cadiz in the general market there's a terrific olive vendor on the outside perimeter away from the main cathedral. It's a must stop for us there.

Thanks for the info -- I've just made a note of this. :) Will be in Cadiz for a few days in late October.

There is nothing more fun than going to a local market or markets when traveling. Especially bakeries.....deli or something like...wine shoppes.....chocalatiers.....etc. Do not.forget the cheese shoppes....open produce markets.....{{sigh}}.