Trying to avoid....being seated at a table for two!

johnjen

Now we're booked on a smaller ship - but they landed us into "my time dining" which we didn't want - we asked for traditional early, so we could get a large table. With MTD, I'm thinking that, AGAIN, we will end up being seated ALONE at a table for two.

I feel your pain -- traveling solo and always request late seating in 'traditional' dining and a large table. Had worked really real until the 'computer' started doing the assignments -- Large table request gets tossed out the window and now get seated at 4tops. A 4 top - for singles?? WTheck -- chances are very high you end up at the table by yourself. Sucks.

The suggestions of wait-list; seeing the host/hostess at MTD entrance, meeting with the Maitre D (representative) are all great.

There isn't much you can do ahead of time, other than wait-list, so relax and enjoy the rest of your planning!:)

That's the problem with Med cruises. To many Europeans. 😱

Just kidding, I have no filter.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

On our last cruise from Venice there was some kind of special deal for locals. Huge family groups with the seven to ten year old kids running amok. The usual antics: pushing all the elevator buttons, running up and down passage ways banging on doors etc. They completely took over the Nook area 24/7. Best was the water gun fights in the buffet. Families of five and more screaming at each other in the buffet from 20 feet apart.

Chair hogging worse than I've ever seen.

Most came to dinner in their finest shorts and tee shirts.

Of 26 cruises on X this was by far our worse.

I don't know exactly how to request a large table placement as part of your reservation as our TA always takes care of that for us. BUT I do know that Royal doesn't always pay attention to what you've requested!

So we've developed a boarding day routine - we always go to the MDR after lunch and find our table. A couple of times we've found ourselves assigned to a 2 top. We just go to the Maitre D and ask to be reassigned to a larger table with others. It's never been a problem to be reassigned.

We do late seating, though, and we've never been waitlisted or put into MTD, so since there seems to be more demand for early seating, it may work differently for you. Nevertheless, check your Day 1 Compass to see what time the Maitre D is available in the MDR that afternoon and go talk to him. I think you'll be able to work it out. Hope you have a great cruise!

Judy

We never wait for lunch; upon boarding we go directly to the MDR and ask to see our table. More often than not and despite what we are "confirmed" for we find we've been assigned to a table that is unacceptable. Sometimes the situation is rectified that evening; other times the next night.

We choose MTD but ask to be seated with others when we check in at the MDR. Rarely have we not had others at the table. Sometimes its the same folks we had dined with earlier in the cruise.

Dining issues are usually easier to deal with on the ship.

I always want a table for two, last several cruises I have just requested that and near a window and got both. Now I was told for my upcoming Empress cruise that their are few tables for two so it may not be an option but they will note my request.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel your pain -- traveling solo and always request late seating in 'traditional' dining and a large table. Had worked really real until the 'computer' started doing the assignments -- Large table request gets tossed out the window and now get seated at 4tops. A 4 top - for singles?? WTheck -- chances are very high you end up at the table by yourself. Sucks.

The suggestions of wait-list; seeing the host/hostess at MTD entrance, meeting with the Maitre D (representative) are all great.

There isn't much you can do ahead of time, other than wait-list, so relax and enjoy the rest of your planning!:)

Yes, this! I have been told that there is much more demand for couples to sit by themselves and for larger groups to want to sit only with their party, which I fully understand, but solo travellers just don't fit!

I remember sitting alone at an 8-top, because the rest of the table didn't show to the MDR (can't be predicted and rectified on his own initiative by the head waiter for the next night) and sharing a 4-top with a couple celebrating a wedding anniversary....which actually turned out quite well, they were first-time cruisers and saw me as a friendly 'expert' to quiz in the evenings, I think! But still a bit awkward.

It's been discussed countless times on here regarding dining, seating, etc....but please hear me out, seeking advice.

I've talked with RCL over the phone about our ordeal we went through on Anthem. We deliberately booked a smaller ship for our next cruise, to try and avoid DD and where we could be seated at a larger table so we can meet others at dinner.

Now we're booked on a smaller ship - but they landed us into "my time dining" which we didn't want - we asked for traditional early, so we could get a large table. With MTD, I'm thinking that, AGAIN, we will end up being seated ALONE at a table for two.

What, if any, would be the most effective way to get my message across to RCL that we sincerely request a larger table? Will write a letter. I just don't know specifically who, or what department to address.

We prefer a table for 2 and always choose MTD when available,

we always get asked when we arrive at the dining room if we would like to share ( each night) we always decline and usually have to wait for a table for 2 to become available ( as we eat at busy times)

• 7 months later...

Last year on LOTS we went down to REQUEST a table for two and found out we were already assigned one! Didn't indicate beforehand any preference.

This year we want a table for 5, is that something we can get easily?

Last year on LOTS we went down to REQUEST a table for two and found out we were already assigned one! Didn't indicate beforehand any preference.

This year we want a table for 5, is that something we can get easily?

If you are in traditional dining, request your table size from rcldining@rccl.com about 3 weeks before the cruise.

If you are in My Time, they will fix you up on board.