Zuiderdam SS cabin

Pia1913

We have found the SS cabins to be wonderful (when we have been unable to book a Neptune). While there are fewer amenities, the space is 1.5 times that of a balcony cabin (same for the veranda). Plenty of space for the two of us. We always like the larger two-sink bathroom.

The SS location is usually very good as well. (Not on deck 8)

Depending on your cruise date, you may still be able to upgrade to a Neptune,

if that is your preference.

Cheers!

We have found the SS cabins to be wonderful (when we have been unable to book a Neptune). While there are fewer amenities, the space is 1.5 times that of a balcony cabin (same for the veranda). Plenty of space for the two of us. We always like the larger two-sink bathroom.

We have booked a SS suite 4 times now and never stayed in one! Everytime we have been offered an upsell and have taken it.

Any info about this catagory would be appreciated. We've had Neptunes several times, but there was no availability so we booked the SS. Thank you.

I know several CC members that prefer the Signature to the Neptune Suite when it comes to comparing value ;)

They are a nice size and very comfortable IMO :)

I know several CC members that prefer the Signature to the Neptune Suite when it comes to comparing value ;)

They are a nice size and very comfortable IMO :)

Once you make 4 star (or 5), the Signature Suites represent a much better value IMO, as being 4 star you get a number of the Neptune Suite perks anyway. Plus of course, the fare is so much less.

Once you make 4 star (or 5), the Signature Suites represent a much better value IMO, as being 4 star you get a number of the Neptune Suite perks anyway. Plus of course, the fare is so much less.

Totally agree ;). I think most that stated they were preferred them were 4* or 5* ;)

They are a great option on the ships where they are available ;)

We were in an SS (up-sell) for a 14 day cruise on the Prinsendam in August. We found that it was wonderful. While a Neptune is nice (we been in one before). We found that the SS was plenty of space for the 2 of us. Except for the Neptune, it was the first time the couch did not turn into the auxiliary storage facility. We had plenty of drawer and cabinet space to store everything, including the growing pile of stuff acquired during the cruise. The slot between the couch and window was perfect for storing a few liters of soda and water out of the way, but still accessible.

We like it so much that we booked a 20 day cruise in another Signature Suite for August 2017.

We tried an SS in 2014 after being in Neptune Suites exclusively for 20+ years (not counting the the old Noordam, where there weren't any.) To be honest, they're a great value. I think that they hit a sweet spot in terms of bang for the buck. It's a shame that they reduced the number of SS cabins on the Signature class ships.

Thank you all for your responses. I cannot upsell to a Neptune on this ship because DH needs a roll in shower and the Neptunes are not accessible.

And since we're only 3* I guess we'll have to "suffer" w/o the additional amenities. ;) Meanwhile, we're looking forward to our 10 days in the SS with only 9 weeks to go until departure.

We were recently 28 days in a Zuiderdam SS and think this is the best possible cabin for size, layout and comfort at this price. Neptune Suites are almost "too big". (ha!)

So the best step down for most of the Neptune creature comforts, without the price and perks, is certainly these Vista ship class cabins. Have no worries.

I have had both. Room size was about the same...aft wrap vs ss. The SS was a great room. One thing we did was to book a cabana as well so we still got some special services. It worked out well. We added the unlimited laundry to the SS so we didn't miss that perk.

The bathroom was the same I believe.

I hope you have a great trip!

I have had both. Room size was about the same...aft wrap vs ss. The SS was a great room. One thing we did was to book a cabana as well so we still got some special services. It worked out well. We added the unlimited laundry to the SS so we didn't miss that perk.

The aft wrap Neptunes are a bit smaller than the other Neptune Suites (I still like them though).

I hope you have a great trip!

Great point! We always add the unlimited laundry as well.

With that even having to pay for any dry-cleaning, we find the SS is a great value.:):)

Cheers!

Cheers!

May I ask why you find the staterooms on Deck 8 undesirable?

Which of the Neptune perks are available to SS guests? I agree with others that SS cabins are a great value. The only thing I missed was the Neptune Lounge and its cookies and other goodies.

Which of the Neptune perks are available to SS guests? I agree with others that SS cabins are a great value. The only thing I missed was the Neptune Lounge and its cookies and other goodies.

As a 4 Star Marniner we get free laundry, priority boarding and disembarkation, invites to special cocktail parties (depends on the ship), and priority boarding tenders.

There are a couple of other Mariner perks (like mini-bar and wine package 50% off discounts) that Neptunes do not (unless you are a 4 or 5 Star).

Big thing we miss is the Neptune Lounge and the concierge service (ther is a phone one however).

Great point! We always add the unlimited laundry as well.

With that even having to pay for any dry-cleaning, we find the SS is a great value.:):)

Cheers!

How do you add unlimited laundry, or is that only for 4*?

It was a really cheap addition. If I remember correctly it was less than $10 a day....maybe $7 but I bet someone. An provide the exact current fee. We went a bag every day.

Yeah, but you get it "free" after you spend thousands racking up Mariner points. Now you tell me which one is the better deal. :p

Five star standing proud and clean. No worries in our cabin getting caught in dirty underwear if the ship goes down.

Edited by OlsSalt

First, there are no SS suites available on deck 8. But any of the cabins on deck 8 are underneath the Lido deck. In many cabins, you will here chair scraping from both pool and buffet seating areas and/or kitchen noises from the Market Place; on her sister Westerdam, we could smell the strong odor of pool chemicals from time to time as we were underneath and adjacent to the Lido Pool.

First, there are no SS suites available on deck 8. But any of the cabins on deck 8 are underneath the Lido deck. In many cabins, you will here chair scraping from both pool and buffet seating areas and/or kitchen noises from the Market Place; on her sister Westerdam, we could smell the strong odor of pool chemicals from time to time as we were underneath and adjacent to the Lido Pool.

Actually there are Signature Suites (SS) on deck 8. The HAL cabin type is now SY on deck 8 and SS on deck 6. It used to be the other way around.:)

As others have posted, the noise from the pool deck above (deck 9) can sometimes be heard as metal on metal scraping in the early morning hours. If you get one of the Signature Suites that are below the restaurant, there is normally no noise. That said, we still prefer the mid-ship location on deck 6.

Cheers!