Inside cabins

ukellie

Hi fellow cruisers we have always booked a balcony cabin - now considering doing inside, could you give me reasons why you wouldn't book an inside - our thinking is we would have more money for more cruises - any advice appreciated

I personally do not want to be inside since i would feel claustrophobic. I also get motion sickness and need to be able to go on the balcony to see the horizon. The other reason is my DH and DS like to keep the cabin on ice box mode so i go outside often to warm up :p We also like the more room we have in the cabin itself: need the bathroom space.

For me booking an inside is now our best option because it allows us to enjoy more days cruising! :D

The downside is not enjoying the ocean from a balcony including things such as the great Ultimate Balcony Dinner. On port intensive cruises not having a balcony is less of an issue & we're willing to go outside to a public space to be able to afford to cruise more often.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi fellow cruisers we have always booked a balcony cabin - now considering doing inside, could you give me reasons why you wouldn't book an inside - our thinking is we would have more money for more cruises - any advice appreciated

If you plan on only using your cabin to sleep in, you might be okay.

The rooms are small, cramped and we travel with a family of 4 usually in them.

The only thing we do in the room is sleep and get ready for dinner

It's a bit cramped during dinner preparations but we enjoy the ship for the rest of the time.

Trying out our first mini suite next month. I've warned my husband we might be ruined after it! [emoji23] we have a cruise in December too but that's an inside cabin.... I'm excited and worried.

Can you handle no fresh air? Not knowing what the weather is outside? Not knowing the time?

Only you know what you enjoy about a cruise and if it's time in your room, do not do an inside cabin

Good luck.

Let us know how it all works out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've previously had a balcony (free upgrade) but have mainly had OV or restricted OV, but we booked an inside on an 11-day Regal Baltic Cruise as it was $600pp cheaper - and $1200 allows for lots of extra nice things - like more holidays, cruises and oh, look that saving has paid for one RT flight to Oz :)

It all comes down to what you usually do / expect from a cabin, but generally we just sleep, shower and... lets not go there... so it was ideal for us. While there's always a concern about claustrophobia (nope - fine - too busy stacking Zeds or zees) and an inside does preclude that getting-up-and-peak-out-of-the-window-what-shall-i-wear? I just set my iphone alarm to music, woke up and turned on the TV to check the bridge cam... sorted!

Our next cruise though is an obstructed OV, but it was only $50pp more than IV. In future though, if there's several hundred $ difference, we'd quite happily book IV without hesitation.

I've stopped booking balcony cabins and am booking oceanview or insides for several reasons. One is that I find the balcony furniture excruciatingly uncomfortable and can't sit in one of those chairs for more than 5-10 minutes or else I'll be in pain.

Another reason is cost. I'd much rather save my money and book the Sanctuary instead.

Air is constantly refreshed every few minutes no matter what cabin type you're in so unless you plan to spend lots of time on your balcony, "fresh air" is a non-issue. Leaving the balcony door isn't an option as it screws up the A/C for the cabins near you. If you're in a balcony or inside cabin and your A/C isn't "working," blame your inconsiderate neighbors.

My biggest issue with inside cabins before was not knowing whether it's day or night. I felt disoriented. I never turn on the TV so using the bridge cam on the TV doesn't work for me. Then, I bought a very small, lightweight projection clock that I love. It plugs into the desk outlet and has a USB port so I don't lose an outlet. It projects the time and temperature on the ceiling.

I think it's going to be insides for me from now on. :)

e6959f969c547cfaa77f8379ebfb37a2.jpg

I have only ever cruised in an inside cabin, mainly from a cost point of view, as I usually travel solo. If you only use the cabin for sleeping and getting changed then you should be fine. If you need to see the sea, just put the tv on to webcam and it is right there for you.

Happy extra cruises!

Out last 2 cruises were in a balcony cabin. Previously we had ov. Personally we've decided we will only cruise if we have a balcony. We love to sit and read in solitude and it's also a fresh air thing for us. For us it's a balcony or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me it's a question of value. I don't much care for the inside cabins and usually book an OV, even with partial obstruction, if it's not significantly more expensive. I do prefer a balcony but if it's twice the cost of an OV, I can abstain. We just cruised on the Ruby on a Caribe balcony and as much as I loved the large balcony, I completely agree with Pam that the furniture is very uncomfortable for prolonged sitting while reading your book or Kindle. As long as I'm on a ship, color me happy.

We have been on four cruises. Three balconies, and the last one was in an inside cabin. I hated it. My wife did not mind it. I never knew what time it was, and it felt claustrophobic. I would rather cruise less often than stay inside, but I can see why other people do not mind it. It was still better than being at work.

Edited by RMMariner

What ship???

We have done over 50 cruises and just 2 have been in inside cabins. Our preference is always for a balcony as we love being able to just go outside whenever we desire and with our having to get dressed in attire suite for public consumption ;) It's also great if DD is still asleep we can sit out there and read or talk etc, and we enjoy breakfast on the balcony too.

Having said that, our next cruise is in an inside cabin and it was purely a financial decision - a balcony cabin was around $2000 more than an inside for the 3 of us, and that was just not affordable this year. A positive for an inside is that we all sleep really well due to the total darkness. A negative is that we all sleep really well and will sometimes not wake up until lunchtime hahaha. I like the look of Pam's projection clock and will look into getting one of those so I can see the time if I stir, but I won't set an alarm on a cruise :eek:

So we overwhelmingly prefer a balcony cabin, but will gladly take and enjoy an inside if it is the difference between a cruise being affordable or not :)

We have booked inside cabins on all but one cruise. We never mind it. On the one cruise when we had a balcony, my husband rarely used it because then he would have to put on sunscreen. He previously had skin cancer and is not supposed to go outside without it. It was nice for me but I really,would rather spend the extra money on something else. We did book a balcony for our TA cruise next year so we could get an extra perk.

We have only ever cruised in an inside room except for a last minute change in plans where the only room available was a balcony. We never used it and so it was a waste.

It comes down to what you enjoy! For us its off the ship in the ports. On sea day, people watching or enjoying quiet reading time somewhere on deck! I do get a bit claustrophobic once in a while, but just open the door and all is ok. But I really enjoy the total darkness for sleeping! Oh and more $$ for cruises:):D:D

One of my friends has been on so many cruises he can't count them all. He always had an inside cabin too but say's it didn't bother him. Think it was on the Nimitiz.

Mine was on the Midway so a cruise ship inside cabin is an "upgrade" for me. :p

the majority of my cruises have been inside cabins. i go with what i can afford. sometimes the ov is nearly the same price and i've been upgraded to balconies a few times. its quite a waste on me as i don't spend much time out there.

i agree with pam, the chairs aren't comfortable. it was nice to see how warm or cold it was outside but that's it. one of the tv channels tells me the outside temperature.

i used to bring a cheap clock radio with the lighted display, i don't bother anymore. i do keep my ipad beside the bed with the time if i wake up and wonder.

fyi...if you call your interior the bat-cave it sounds so much more exciting!

We have cruised in an inside cabin a number of times. We didn't find the cramped space too much of a problem as we spend most of our waking time around the ship when not in port. Our saved $$$s were used for other cruise related expenses.

I don't have an extensive cruising history - I started in a mini suite, went to a balcony, then an inside, and my next will be on a balcony again due to it being our honeymoon and getting good perks and pricing on the booking! However, I really liked the inside. I enjoy super dark rooms and sleeping in when I can, so that was great. And also, we were on Marina deck and close to the Lido where we could easily get up and get air, sit in the aft area and have a drink, eat breakfast or lunch - it was perfect! It will be nice to have our "own" outdoor space this time but next time we will likely go inside again if the price is significantly cheaper.

It definitely depends on your personal taste and style of cruising. Many people say once you've had a full suite, you can never have anything else. We sailed on the Crown in an aft suite with the huge balcony, deluxe bath, and twin sliding doors. We never used the balcony, and certainly didn't spend much time in the bathroom, LOL.

We're always on the Promenade, Lido, or Sun decks. We only change clothes and sleep in the cabin. So we stick with inside cabins. We have found that we love the 'sideways' inside cabins on the Royal class ships. I buy a flower arrangement for hubby and it brightens up the room.

Stick with what works for you. If you're new, think about where you'll be spending time and book the type of cabin that best suits you.