Tender

Baded

I never really understood why people hated taking a tender to shore before, but yesterday on the Infinity was a mess. We had prority tickets and it took 3 hours to get off the ship. First they said a tender had motor problems then rough seas, then no comment, then I don't know when we will be able to go. I think they got most of the people with ship sponsored excursions off early, but some with ship sponsored excursions were on our tender well after 2:00 pm. Not a good time.

If the port is new for us and has something we must do we,ll book an excursion but,that does not always work.

Weather in places like Gr Cayman can slow or stop the process altogether....even for excursion folks...

In Montego Bay recently, most everyone sat in the theatre for more than 2 hrs...no real reason given.. Finally dh and I went down to the pier area (if one could even call it that).

.Turns out that wrong size busses were dispatched and it,d be even longer to get bigger ones..or we could take a taxi own expense to the Carnival pier or pay for a shuttle into Town. Most pax including us cancelled...wasted the whole morning..port not worth it

Most often tender days...are stay on ship days!

Tendering just adds more wasted time to your day and shortens your port of call time.

OTOH, we loved it when St. Maarten didn't have a pier and we had to tender ashore. The waves were huge and everyone got soaked in the tender. One woman in a wheelchair was literally picked up by 4 strong men and lifted into the bobbing tender and out of it too. Quite a feat. Definitely an E-Ticket Attraction. :D

We encountered a tender port on our last cruise and the delays were caused by people who in my opinion should not have left the ship. The sight of someone who is frail or poor on their feet staggering about and nearly injuring themselves was disturbing.

I suffer with a back problem which varies on a day to day basis, if I was having a bad day I would give that port a miss in case I injured myself further. People need to know their limitations in my opinion.

Just to put another story out there for people that might see this thread, in the Medi. last April we were the only ship there that day and the port had there own big tenders waiting for us, no lines at all! So, there can be cases where tendering is not that bad! Yes, I know this is rare but it happens!