Primary voting????

lahlah57

This election is also for control of U. S. Senate, and C ogresss. NOT just Presidrnt, Did you no t notic that ont he ballot? You can bet congresssand Senate does imapct Canaadaas uch if not more than President.

Edited by sail7seas

P lease ab ouytt you or yo ur satus to bother

I wondcer how much the good gax pyrfs of mA paid for all these vogefrs gt o do g tthis. Perhaps gghdey should pay for igtg. TTaxpayers in sttates, cittieis a towns SHOULD NOt foto that bill. IMO. It is time it i is examined.

It is the United States government that decides who can vote. Your complaint should be to them.

As to taxpayers paying for citizens to vote, a citizen is a citizen regardless of their financial status. At least, that's how it works in Canada. I understand from my many American friends that is also how it works in the US. Not every citizen pays taxes. Doesn't matter if someone is wealthy, poor, or middle, each is a citizen and each vote counts the same.

Election s are very expensive. Of course the tax payers get the bill. It comes f rom , ourr real estate taxes, Our state income taxes our personal property taxes etc i am suggesting maybe that should be questioned.

It is the United States government that decides who can vote. Your complaint should be to them.

As to taxpayers paying for citizens to vote, a citizen is a citizen regardless of their financial status. At least, that's how it works in Canada. I understand from my many American friends that is also how it works in the US. Not every citizen pays taxes. Doesn't matter if someone is wealthy, poor, or middle, each is a citizen and each vote counts the same.

45 per cent of Americans pay no federal income tax. They still have the right to vote which is the hallmark of our democracy. I say that as I choke four times a year when we send in our ever increasing quarterly taxes. I don't like it but that is the way it is.

Sapper, more power to you as you exercise your legal rights.

Edited by sammiedawg

Here's the original post:

Sailing on oct 24th and return nov 9th. Does anyone know when the ballots will be received if you are a permanent mail in? Concerned if I will miss this debacle of an election :confused:

Not wishing to start a political discussion just worried about my vote counting.

Please do not engage in any additional political discussion.

Thanks.

My hat is off to you for understanding and being able to respond. I was having problems following it. You make very good points and I have to wonder why anyone would object to a US citizen having a vote.

Edited by Lizzie68

How much dcould you have know abougt the ballot questions to be a resp[onsible infomed voter?

This fasciintes me how youcould vote responsibly. YES< for preident this go round, , this was such an unusual presidential the campaign has garnered enattention and news and went on for so long, many around the f world have a 'working knowledge' of who they would choos.e

HOW CAN YOU KNOW HOW TO VOTE FFR THE BALLOT QUESTIONS? oUR STATE HAS FOUR THIS YEAR AND seeyou don'g li ve here or VISIT OFTEN, YOU DON't HAVE MUCH FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE.

hOW Can you votefor a State Leislator?

OI frhink you get my dirift. It's ridiculous 'loophole thav needs to be examined, IMO. What you vote, impacts, us but not you. I think this is something that mut be stopped and gthe sooner the better. Maqybe well have it on your nexxt ballot.

t y. :D I think the expression no skin in the game might fit?

Any thoughts come into your mind about this?

I'm having a real hard time understanding what you're trying to say but if you're suggesting that Canadians with voting privileges in the US or other citizens abroad aren't informed voters or don't have first hand knowledge, you couldn't be any more wrong. Does every single American actually living in the States get to have a one-on-one meeting with the candidates? No. Therefore it doesn't matter if you live next to them or on the other side of the planet. It's up to every voter to research the candidates and form their own educated opinions.

I'm voting by absentee again this year as I've had to numerous times before, and I'm probably more educated on the facts of the candidates than the vast majority of citizens.

It is largely due to the "border babies". Back in the days before Medicare was introduced in Canada, it was common that in the small border towns, the closest hospital was on the American side so Canadian mothers routinely had their babies in the States. This doesn't happen as a routine anymore but all those border babies are considered US citizens and are eligible to vote.

In my in case, my father was a Canadian university student who had a summer job in the states. I was born during that period and returned home to Canada when I was a few weeks old. I am also a Canadian citizen.

So interesting. Thanks for explaining. I feel like I learned something today

I have already voted. I received my Massachusetts ballot two weeks ago and then received an email telling me that my vote had been received.

I am one of one million Canadians eligible to vote in US elections.

Probably could have caused less consternation if you had said, "I am one of millions of American citizens living outside the U.S. and voting." ;)

I think I get the gist of what you are trying to say--- At least I tried hard.

First and foremost, I am an American citizen and last time I checked there was no two tiered level of citizenship. My right to vote is not a loophole. As long as your IRS requires me to have a Social Security number and file an FBAR every year then I refuse to feel any guilt about voting.

Secondly, I have absolutely no knowledge or interest in state politics so I don't vote on issues that don't concern me. Why would you insult me without knowing? I will admit to voting on the referendum re animal cruelty because preventing that knows no boundaries.

The result of a presidential election always affects Canada so I do have skin that game.

It may interest you to know that the US Consulate in Halifax is encouraging all Maritimers with dual citizenship to vote in the American election.

So I figure you have a US address/state affiliation in order to get a ballot?

Your comment about the Consulate is interesting. Just this AM I saw a report on the "get out the vote" movement outside the US. A large number of US citizens live in other countries, and just a small percent of them vote. But this year, the state department as well as candidate-favoring groups (both sides) are encouraging people to get their absentee ballots and vote.

As for out-of-country information, I'm sure there's plenty of info available, between the internet and 24/7 cable news channels. I'm always impressed with how much people in other countries know (and care) about our politics. Three years ago, we were in Rekjavik waiting for a tour to start and the guide (early to mid 20s) asked where we were from. When I said New Jersey, he asked us if our governor was going to become president. Back in 2013, someone in Iceland knew that Christie had his eye on the White House! So yes, people around the world are watching.

So I figure you have a US address/state affiliation in order to get a ballot?

Your comment about the Consulate is interesting. Just this AM I saw a report on the "get out the vote" movement outside the US. A large number of US citizens live in other countries, and just a small percent of them vote. But this year, the state department as well as candidate-favoring groups (both sides) are encouraging people to get their absentee ballots and vote.

As for out-of-country information, I'm sure there's plenty of info available, between the internet and 24/7 cable news channels. I'm always impressed with how much people in other countries know (and care) about our politics. Three years ago, we were in Rekjavik waiting for a tour to start and the guide (early to mid 20s) asked where we were from. When I said New Jersey, he asked us if our governor was going to become president. Back in 2013, someone in Iceland knew that Christie had his eye on the White House! So yes, people around the world are watching.

When I first registered many years ago I was instructed to use the last known address in the US so I used the one on my birth certificate. I wanted to be crystal clear on the legality of the situation so I carefully explained my circumstances.

Probably could have caused less consternation if you had said, "I am one of millions of American citizens living outside the U.S. and voting." ;)

Millions worldwide-----

It sounds as though I am in very good company---and proud to be.

Canada has one of the best contributions to the election season here in the US:

#tellamericaitsgreat

If you hold American citizenship, you are eligible to register and vote. It doesn't matter where you reside. Multi-citizenship holders are just as eligible to vote as people who have lived all of their lives on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. And, since it is not a requirement to cast a vote on every item on a ballot, if someone is only interested in the Presidential election, they are free to only vote on that one item.

A little jealous of those with dual US-Canadian citizenship - you really get to have a say in North American issues!!!

Edited by slidergirl