Cruising etiquette question: bringing food and drink back to the cabin

Badwolf515

It can't be said strongly enough, PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR EMPTY DISHES OUT SIDE YOUR DOOR (OR ANY OTHER DOOR). It is so gross! Leave them inside your stateroom for your steward to remove.

Some don't get it. I loathe seeing dirty dishes and half eaten food in the hallway. Is that what you do at home.?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

And to think! Stupid Lazy me!!!!!!!!! The Crew told us they would rather have them by our door. I did wash them and wipe them before hand. LOL

Totally agree, if that's what I'm asked to do, then that's what I'll do, if others dislike it, well that's there problem, not mine.

I like to push the trays back against the door where they came from. I'm sure it irritates them whe leaving their cabin. :D

:eek: On one of our cruises a neighbour would - daily - put their dishes outside OUR cabin (they were on the long side wall next to our door) ... we never figured out which cabin they came from but if someone had pushed them against our door we would have stepped on them for sure! :(

:eek: On one of our cruises a neighbour would - daily - put their dishes outside OUR cabin (they were on the long side wall next to our door) ... we never figured out which cabin they came from but if someone had pushed them against our door we would have stepped on them for sure! :(

Sounds like a good reason to have them clean up the hallways every so often & warn everyone not to leave their dirty dishes on the floor to be picked up.

Some don't get it. I loathe seeing dirty dishes and half eaten food in the hallway. Is that what you do at home.?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app[/quote

I totally agree with you. Dirty dishes outside of your cabin looks gross.

Tony

I agree...but on the Ruby this past March the dishes sat over 48 hours...steward told us to call room service...room service said to put them in the hall and they would pick them up. These were dishes from a pot of tea and a snack we had ordered from room service. Prior cruises we had just left things neatly stacked on the desk/ vanity/table and they were removed. Since we were told to put them out there we did. I never thought of taking them to a dish station on the lido deck...probably should have, but since they were from room service it just didn't click for me. When we were told to put them in the hallway we were a little surprised, but we did what was asked. I don't think they sat there long at all but I find the whole thing rather gross (and I don't like it in hotels either)

I think the problems here had to do with the stewards and not ship policy. Stewards are supposed to (and do) remove the dirty dishes from the room. If one doesn't, then he or she should be reported to Housekeeping (or the front desk.) If room service needs to be called about dirty dishes, they should come to get them from the room and not the hallway. In these cases, did you talk to the steward and ask why the dishes weren't removed? Perhaps he/she was new and poorly trained. I don't doubt that someone somewhere told someone to put the dishes in the hall, but it is not Princess policy. As I have said, every cruise I have been on (and I've been on quite a few), the steward has taken the dishes. This has been true when I was a blue card and an Elite, and in inside cabins as well as balconies.

The fact remains that it is dangerous to leave the dishes in the hall.

Honestly, it was our first Princess Cruise and I didn't question what I thought was their system. As a matter of fact I probably would have never thought much of it had I not seen this thread..I am glad I did. I remember saying to my husband at one point that I couldn't imagine navigating the hallway with a wheelchair or crutches given that there were a lot of people putting things in the hallway. (Our daughter uses a chair so I do notice these things). I am very glad I saw this as I will know in the future which avenues to take should the dishes sit for a long time.

Edited by medsed

This is one more reason we love Princess! DH gets up early and goes for coffee and pastries in the morning and brings them back to our cabin. We bring snacks back in the late afternoon to enjoy on our balcony for sail away. We were recently on Celebrity and noticed we NEVER saw people carrying food to their cabins. We didn't know if it was an etiquette thing or fully frowned upon by Celebrity but we felt uncomfortable doing it. It didn't stop us though....

Are you allowed to bring food and drinks from the various restaurants and bars back to your cabin?

(If yes, is it considered "proper cruising ettiquette" or is it one of those things that is technically allowed but actually frowned upon by people?)

Before people say "why would you want to be stuck in your cabin instead of out enjoying the ship?" Let me explain...

I have a serious autoimmune disease (Lupus) that makes my health very unpredictable. I've been on vacations before where the physical stress of traveling crippled me to the point where I couldn't leave the hotel room for most of the vacation. That's why we booked a balcony room on our Alaska cruise next year, so if my health takes a turn for the worse, I can still enjoy the scenery...

If I'm too sick to leave the cabin, my sweet husband said he would be happy to bring me food and drinks from different restaurants so that I can try a variety of what Princess offers, rather than being limited to the room service menu. So back to my question, is this allowed? Or will he get dirty looks and snide comments from other cruisers who don't know the situation? (I would like to spare him that if I can).

Thank you for your help! :)

If you have a condition such as Lupus, I would inform the cruise line with the hope that they can have a member of the cruise bring any of the selections from the MDR to you, if you are too ill (hopefully this will not occur) to go out. I do think that in your case, the cruise line should definitely be most flexible. Hope that you enjoy your trip and stay well.

This is one more reason we love Princess! DH gets up early and goes for coffee and pastries in the morning and brings them back to our cabin. We bring snacks back in the late afternoon to enjoy on our balcony for sail away. We were recently on Celebrity and noticed we NEVER saw people carrying food to their cabins. We didn't know if it was an etiquette thing or fully frowned upon by Celebrity but we felt uncomfortable doing it. It didn't stop us though....

Didn't NCL try to initiate a program like that a while back until they realized there was no way to enforce it? :D

One of our favorite things to do on our recent cruise was to go to the International Cafe and get a fruit and cheese plate to take back to the room. They automatically wrap it in plastic without us even asking. I loved sitting on the balcony with our wine and cheese!

One of our favorite things to do on our recent cruise was to go to the International Cafe and get a fruit and cheese plate to take back to the room. They automatically wrap it in plastic without us even asking. I loved sitting on the balcony with our wine and cheese!

I've never seen a cheese and fruit plate at the IC. I'll definitely have to look for it, as that sounds perfect!

I don't doubt that someone somewhere told someone to put the dishes in the hall, but it is not Princess policy. As I have said, every cruise I have been on (and I've been on quite a few), the steward has taken the dishes. This has been true when I was a blue card and an Elite, and in inside cabins as well as balconies.

The fact remains that it is dangerous to leave the dishes in the hall.

I can’t agree more. One of my pet peeves is to see dirty dishes stacked in the corridors, blocking wheel chairs, those with mobility issues, etc. We never do that and often have breakfast in the cabin.

Besides, it cheapens the cruise experience. Like a “one night stand motel” where cockroaches are crawling all over the trays.

I can’t understand why some lines tolerate it. I know Regent says it is a no-no and the cabin Stewarts really gets upset if someone does that.

I recall when one cabin challenged their next door neighbors over dumping their garbage in the hall. The response was, that they can’t stand the smell of uneaten food in their cabin.

Fortunately, on all our Princess Cruises room service picks up those dirty dishes fairly promptly.

It was my understanding that on NCL, FDR came up with the policy of charging for cabin service. Then he became upset when NCL guests cluttered the corridors with dishes and waste that they brought to the cabin on their own. So he banned that practice. LOL

Edited by kennicott

If you have a condition such as Lupus, I would inform the cruise line with the hope that they can have a member of the cruise bring any of the selections from the MDR to you, if you are too ill (hopefully this will not occur) to go out. I do think that in your case, the cruise line should definitely be most flexible. Hope that you enjoy your trip and stay well.

At times when I've been unwell the MDR has sent down a full meal, even on lines that have limited room service menu on offer.

We have brought back food on Celebrity ships many times.

I've never seen a cheese and fruit plate at the IC. I'll definitely have to look for it, as that sounds perfect!

I've never seen it on display, but if you ask for them to make one up for you, they clearly are used to doing it. Sometimes they just went ahead and made up an assortment, other times they asked us which cheeses and nuts and fruit we wanted - either way, it was great! I would never have thought of it, but I read about it here on Cruise Critic!

Ours didn't so I left it in the hallway as close to our door as possible so's not to interfere with others. When I called room service (on the RUBY) they said to put it in the hall and someone would pick it up.

So it appears there is no right or wrong answer to who picks up the dishes, cabin steward or room service. Consistency is not Princess' middle name.

I've never had room service tell me to put a tray in the hall. Last month on the Regal our steward forgot to take our tray. I called room service, and they said someone would be there quickly. Within 5 min. our steward came to get the tray--and it was not during his regular hours.

I move the trays into the doorway, too. I do it mostly so people don't trip on them, but I also hope people get the message. The worst one we ever saw was someone who took a huge amount of shrimp and some kind of noodles from the buffet. The shells and noodles were dumped--not on the plate-- in the hall outside a crew door.