Cruising etiquette question: bringing food and drink back to the cabin

Badwolf515

They typically don't not allow you to carry on food from the DR. One night we didn't eat in the DR but I knew they had Nutella ice cream for dessert. I stopped by and asked if I could have some to go but the head waiter said no but he would have some delivered to our cabin. It was there almost before we got there. If you do have a flare-up (I hope not) and your husband asks your head waiter, they will probably have something delivered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always travel with a tray, it takes up little space in our suitcase but affords me the ability to go to Horizon court early in the morning and bring my DW a collection of pastries and cereals for her casual morning. I also bring back a glass or two of tomato juice to mix with the vodka that i have purchased though room service for my late morning snack.

Once when my DW was not feeling the best I was at dinner in the MD without her and the dessert of the evening was her favorite, 'island dreams' (or something similar). My extremely accommodative server, allowed me to take a plate back to the cabin with me.

You will find that the servers, waiters, headwaiters, and all others, are willing to help you with whatever unusual requests that you have.

Enjoy your cruise and don't be worried that you are asking for something that is unique.

I've very rarely brought any food or drink back to the cabin, but it never would have occurred to me that anybody would object. And I don't even have the very good reason that you do! Do what's best for you. I'm sure nobody would ever mind. :)

I cruised last month and brought back pizza from the lido deck. The cabin steward did not clean up the dishes for 2 days so I called room service. They told me to place the dished outside the cabin door which I did. I was sure to place them close to the door not in the corridor. Since the cabin attendant doesn't collect them you have no choice but to put them outside as I found out.

Are you allowed to bring food and drinks from the various restaurants and bars back to your cabin?

(If yes, is it considered "proper cruising ettiquette" or is it one of those things that is technically allowed but actually frowned upon by people?)

Before people say "why would you want to be stuck in your cabin instead of out enjoying the ship?" Let me explain...

I have a serious autoimmune disease (Lupus) that makes my health very unpredictable. I've been on vacations before where the physical stress of traveling crippled me to the point where I couldn't leave the hotel room for most of the vacation. That's why we booked a balcony room on our Alaska cruise next year, so if my health takes a turn for the worse, I can still enjoy the scenery...

If I'm too sick to leave the cabin, my sweet husband said he would be happy to bring me food and drinks from different restaurants so that I can try a variety of what Princess offers, rather than being limited to the room service menu. So back to my question, is this allowed? Or will he get dirty looks and snide comments from other cruisers who don't know the situation? (I would like to spare him that if I can).

Thank you for your help! :)

Yes many do it.

We've taken entire meals from the MDR (appetizer, entree and desert )back to our balcony to enjoy a private sunset dinner. No problem, either go down in person and carry it back or call the Matrie De and have it delivered. Good times!

Are you allowed to bring food and drinks from the various restaurants and bars back to your cabin?

(If yes, is it considered "proper cruising ettiquette" or is it one of those things that is technically allowed but actually frowned upon by people?)

Before people say "why would you want to be stuck in your cabin instead of out enjoying the ship?" Let me explain...

I have a serious autoimmune disease (Lupus) that makes my health very unpredictable. I've been on vacations before where the physical stress of traveling crippled me to the point where I couldn't leave the hotel room for most of the vacation. That's why we booked a balcony room on our Alaska cruise next year, so if my health takes a turn for the worse, I can still enjoy the scenery...

If I'm too sick to leave the cabin, my sweet husband said he would be happy to bring me food and drinks from different restaurants so that I can try a variety of what Princess offers, rather than being limited to the room service menu. So back to my question, is this allowed? Or will he get dirty looks and snide comments from other cruisers who don't know the situation? (I would like to spare him that if I can).

Hello from another Lupus person. Just diagnosed a few weeks ago along with APS - blood clotting disorder. I have only just been released to travel and had to cancel a bucket list trip to Alaska in July. But we are going to be on Diamond Princess in December.

As far as bringing food back - we have always done this, as we usually eat late so a nice drink of wine along with cheese and crackers from the buffet eaten on the balcony is sublime.

I cruised last month and brought back pizza from the lido deck. The cabin steward did not clean up the dishes for 2 days so I called room service. They told me to place the dished outside the cabin door which I did. I was sure to place them close to the door not in the corridor. Since the cabin attendant doesn't collect them you have no choice but to put them outside as I found out.

The steward is supposed to take care of the dirty dishes and always has on every cruise I've taken.

Hello from another Lupus person. Just diagnosed a few weeks ago along with APS - blood clotting disorder. I have only just been released to travel and had to cancel a bucket list trip to Alaska in July. But we are going to be on Diamond Princess in December.

As far as bringing food back - we have always done this, as we usually eat late so a nice drink of wine along with cheese and crackers from the buffet eaten on the balcony is sublime.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, kid sister has it too.

It is common sense to put used plates and dishes in the passage way when you are through with them. You people are lazy. We always take bananas, milk and maybe cereal to the room. Might get into a movie and not want to leave.

There are good reasons NOT to clutter up the halls with dishes, and I have been told by many a room steward to leave the dishes in the room. If you are not so lazy, why don't you walk the dishes back to the buffet and while you're there being not lazy wash them yourself? :rolleyes:

My hubby will often get up much earlier than us on sea days. He likes the made to order omelettes in the Horizon and after he eats, he gather some food for us (a bowl of fruit, cereal, etc. for me and a waffle for the girl with a little bowl of syrup as well as an OJ for me) and put those plates/bowls on the small tray that is in our cabin for the soda/bottled water. After we finished, the plates are placed on the desk for the cabin steward to take care of (the tray gets stashed in the closet).

I have also gotten some snacks for us to enjoy while watching a movie in our cabin. And someone (our steward or maybe the headwaiter from our DR) will send up a muffin or cookies for the girl (but usually it gets eaten by me:o)

definitely not a problem to eat in your cabin. I would have your husband talk to your waiter if you're staying in your cabin and food will be sent to your cabin (he can check the menu ahead of time as the next meal's menu will be on display outside each MDR).

Unless you're in a full suite, the room service menu tends to be limited.

I have brought food back to the cabin many times. Who doesn't walk through the buffet and get the munchies at 4pm????? :D

Bottom line: your health and well-being trumps anyone else's opinion. Should anyone have anything nasty to say, they deserve a heaping plate of FU. Don't remember seeing that in the buffet.

Be well,

-Andrew :)

We do it all the time.

We order Room Service for Breakfast. Cabin Steward takes away breakfast tray when we are finished and he/she makes up the room.

We get a snack late afternoon, which we take back to our cabin, using two plates... one to cover the plate with food. We order coffee or what ever we want to drink from Room Service. We call Room Service to pick up the dishes when we are finished. We tip personal bringing Room Service orders and taking away dishes... work out very well.

We usually have a late dinner, but if for some reason we did not want to go to the MDR or other venue we would do a similar thing in the evening. In some cases, we have actually purchased a favorite food item in a port of call and brought it back to enjoy on our balcony... usually when we are in the Mediterranean or Middle East. No objects.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, kid sister has it too.

There are a few of us around. Originally thought to be occult cancer so I can learn to live with it. So many prescriptions now - might need a travel pill kit!

It is common sense to put used plates and dishes in the passage way when you are through with them. You people are lazy. We always take bananas, milk and maybe cereal to the room. Might get into a movie and not want to leave.

It might be common sense in an hotel but it is not recommended that you do this on a cruise ship. For a start, the corridors are much narrower and there is not much space to leave dirty plates etc. Some passengers may be using wheelchairs or walkers and plates can be a hazard. Furthermore a cruise ship is subject to motion from sea swells and waves so plates left in corridors could be hazardous if the ship hits an unexpected big wave.

Leave your dirty dishes in your cabin and your steward will remove them next time your cabin is cleaned.

It's really not a problem I cruise with my husband and 2 teenagers. The teens don't see the light of day till after 12md so I always bring down croissants and OJ for them for breakfast and leave it in the cabin. When they're done the tray just gets put on the stewards cart and he returns the tray. No problem at all.

I hope that you stay well during your cruise and don't need to eat in the cabin unless you really want to.

Trish