Cruising etiquette question: bringing food and drink back to the cabin

Badwolf515

Hello from another Lupus person. Just diagnosed a few weeks ago along with APS - blood clotting disorder. I have only just been released to travel and had to cancel a bucket list trip to Alaska in July. But we are going to be on Diamond Princess in December.

Really sorry to hear that, Pushka. My sister-in-law also has Lupus.

Good to hear you're getting some cruising in though. We're hoping to go on Diamond in March 2018.

Really sorry to hear that, Pushka. My sister-in-law also has Lupus.

Good to hear you're getting some cruising in though. We're hoping to go on Diamond in March 2018.

Thanks TripleJ.

Its good to have a diagnosis and so treatment. But will be on anticoags for life now plus lupus meds. But they do protect from Malaria! :p

Diamond 2018 - is that the cruise into Japan? I am waiting for the one after that in mid April to open to see cherry blossoms. Currently booked on Millenium at the time and the cruise is basically sold out in Suites, Aqua, Concierge and just a couple of balconies left. 18 months out! And the roll call already busy.

I will frequently take a snack back to the room, NO PROBLEM at all.

When getting stuff from the buffet that might make a mess or if I would like it to stay as warm as possible I simply asks the nice folks behind the buffet to wrap it in plastic wrap. They are more than happy to oblige. I also use the cover plate trick as others have mentioned.

I tend to really like many of princess soups, so I use the salad or cereal style bowls and have them wrap it. I then put the covered bowl into an empty bowl as a thermal barrier for carrying, and to prevent any spilling from under the plastic.

Also if you order room service, you can hold on to and use the tray that they deliver the food on, that is if you hide it in the closet! LOL ;) I don't bring that much back so I don't usually need to, but if you are providing for a family with drinks, etc. I thought that I would pass on the suggestion.

Don't worry about what other people might say or imply, just enjoy your cruise and have a great time!!!

Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

I have lupus as well and am going on a cruise in Dec. I never had a problem with bringing food back to my room. I was very low one day and had a lovely waiter take the food from me and delivered it to my room. Please work on your stress levels before you go, good luck and have a happy cruise! I intend to! Jane ps. I take a couple of containers with me so I can place my meal in them so it stays warm and I don't spill anything. I also take a keep cup for coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jane9075

Diamond 2018 - is that the cruise into Japan? I am waiting for the one after that in mid April to open to see cherry blossoms. Currently booked on Millenium at the time and the cruise is basically sold out in Suites, Aqua, Concierge and just a couple of balconies left. 18 months out! And the roll call already busy.

Yes, it's the repo cruise. We've been to Japan before and loved it. We thought we were too late for cherry blossoms but we did a day trip to Nikko which included lunch at a town that was at a high altitude and the cherry trees there were fully laden with blossoms. I was rapt! We hope to be able to spend a few days in Tokyo before heading home, and also to get to a couple of places we didn't see on our previous trip.

There are good reasons NOT to clutter up the halls with dishes, and I have been told by many a room steward to leave the dishes in the room. If you are not so lazy, why don't you walk the dishes back to the buffet and while you're there being not lazy wash them yourself? :rolleyes:

very well said! thanks

Once on a Transatlantic cruise, I unexpectedly had back issues for several days.

Our amazing room steward brought me a dining room menu where I was able to order dinner in our cabin. I didn't know it at the time but my understanding now is that privilege is only for suite guests. I think at that time we were Gold level and in an inside cabin.

It is one of the gracious gestures that keeps me coming back to Princess. Enjoy your cruise

There is no problem bring food back to your cabin.

Please do not set your dishes outside your cabin door. It could be a safety hazard. The hallways are not wide enough for those in wheel chairs or walkers or scooters if there are obstacles in their way let alone the stewards carts. If the room steward does not have them taken away please call room service.

It can't be said strongly enough, PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR EMPTY DISHES OUT SIDE YOUR DOOR (OR ANY OTHER DOOR). It is so gross! Leave them inside your stateroom for your steward to remove.

Love your reply Shredie.

My pet peeve is dishes in the hall. And rude people don't want it against their door and leave in hallway for all of us to trip on it.

Agree! Your steward is supposed to take them when he cleans the room. Otherwise call room service, and they'll come quickly to take them.

Trays in the hall are unsightly, but most of all they're dangerous.

Hello,

We also have unpredictable health issues. You are smart to "hope for the best but prepare for the worst." Along those lines, we always get insurance (never needed it but glad for the piece of mind). There are other threads that talk about insurance, but let me give you my 2 cents. The Princess insurance is NOT good regarding pre-existing conditions. I shop online for higher medical and evacuation limits. I also make sure that they have a pre-existing condition waiver (they usually require that you buy the insurance within 10-21 days of your initial deposit for this).

I agree with what others say regarding taking food to your room - GO FOR IT! I don't see any etiquette issues (just don't eat in the hallways and elevators!). We always book the late traditional dining, so we need a snack before dinner. Our daily habit is that we have a peaceful cocktail on our balcony with appetizers that I pick up in the buffet.

I agree with others that dirty dishes in the hall are tacky and a hazard. Our steward always takes them from the cabin during his turn-down service.

Have a wonderful, safe vacation!

Leave your dirty dishes in your cabin and your steward will remove them next time your cabin is cleaned.

Ours didn't so I left it in the hallway as close to our door as possible so's not to interfere with others. When I called room service (on the RUBY) they said to put it in the hall and someone would pick it up.

So it appears there is no right or wrong answer to who picks up the dishes, cabin steward or room service. Consistency is not Princess' middle name.

Our daily ritual:

• One person goes to the IC for coffee and breakfast pastries and brings them back to the balcony.
  • A second person goes to the Horizon Court for fruit and OJ.

This has become so routine that we bring on board our own reusable picnic plates to take to the IC as the little saucer-sized plates that they have there just won't do! And as we always travel with a tiny travel size bottle of dishwashing soap, we wash our own plates (as well as the wine glasses that we bring along). No mess. No fuss. And no "bad etiquette" glances. Just jealous eye daggers from people who wish that they had thought of bringing along plates that hold more than a single creme donut.

And I will pile on here that dirty dishes do NOT belong in a skinny hallway. I don't want to see, smell or trip over your half-eaten eggs and toast.

Ours didn't so I left it in the hallway as close to our door as possible so's not to interfere with others. When I called room service (on the RUBY) they said to put it in the hall and someone would pick it up.

So it appears there is no right or wrong answer to who picks up the dishes, cabin steward or room service. Consistency is not Princess' middle name.

Personally, we have never had a problem with dishes being removed from inside our cabin.....But..... IF it ever happens .... before i would discard the dishes in the hallway.... i would carry the plates up to a service area on lido deck. To me its a matter of respect for my fellow passengers and the crew.

Someone above mentioned about there not being trays on board to help your DH with bringing food back. I would suggest getting a cheap (lightweight) plastic tray from the Dollar Store and packing in the bottom of your suitcase. It will take up virtually no room and weigh almost nothing...but will make any trecks your DH must make from eateries much easier.

Also...if you go to the MDR early in the cruise and have Traditional dining, speak to your waiters. If they know of your situation, and the POSSIBLE need for Dining room meals to be brought to you, they may be able to arrange for your husband to do that after he finishes his own meal there. (those meals aren't normally supposed to be "take out" but a conversation beforehand might allow him to) Obviously this would depend on your waiter...but it's certainly worth a try... This would only work with Traditional Dining where there's a relationship with your wait staff, I would assume.

Hope all goes well for you and that you are able to enjoy your cruise to the fullest with no flair ups! :)

Edited by rgmacm

Personally, we have never had a problem with dishes being removed from inside our cabin.....But..... IF it ever happens .... before i would discard the dishes in the hallway.... i would carry the plates up to a service area on lido deck. To me its a matter of respect for my fellow passengers and the crew.

We never to to the buffet area without a few cups or dishes in our hands. It makes it so much easier for the steward to clean up when doing the room.

We had the same experience on the Ruby earlier this year.

in your area they have these great little food grade shower caps.

I use them at home to take food to neighbors for game night etc

I now take a box on or cruises too. There are 3 different sizes in a box. Love these little gems.