Chops Dry Aged Steaks

kontraxed

OK, so I have to pay $35 to get into Chops and then another $19 for this Dry Aged Steak - and that's on top of what I already paid for food on the cruise. This is a vacation and I do love a really good steak. The question is - is this a really good steak? Is this a fifty dollar steak? If so, you might say I'm "on board" with it!

The tagline for Chops is the best steak on the high seas. That might be true, but any steak that is cooked on an electric grill is not going to be worth that kind of money for me.

I can get an incredible steak around here for that kind of money. So I would rather eat the regular food, and enjoy the great steaks locally.

The only way a steak should be cooked is over hardwood charcoal or hardwood. Anything else is awful and flavorless to me.

So I avoid chops because of that.

We had a free specialty meal for two and went to Chops. DH was fine paying the surcharge for the Dry Aged steak since we didn't have to pay the initial fee. I ordered from the regular menu. There was quite a difference between my steak and his. DH's was a lot more flavorful and tender.

We have another free specialty dinner on our cruise next month. I think we'll both get the Dry Aged Steak this time. I don't think we would upgrade if we had to pay full price, though. We have the Capital Grille and Ruth's Chris close by. I would rather pay $50 for a steak at one of those restaurants.

Edited by Host Faith

We'll be going to Chops on our next cruise - and I'm pretty sure I'll just get their regular filet. We have such fantastic steak houses around Chicago that serve dry-aged steaks... that I have a feeling I'd be disappointed in theirs, as I'd be comparing to what I'm used to at high-end steakhouses at home. So just paying the regular fee for Chops per person is enough for us - I wouldn't pay more for the dry-aged steaks.

We had a free specialty meal for two and went to Chops. DH was fine paying the surcharge for the Dry Aged steak since we didn't have to pay the initial fee. I ordered from the regular menu. There was quite a difference between my steak and his. DH's was a lot more flavorful and tender.

We have another free specialty dinner on our cruise next month. I think we'll both get the Dry Aged Steak this time. I don't think we would upgrade if we had to pay full price, though. We have the Capital Grille and Ruth's Chris close by. I would rather pay $50 for a steak at one of those restaurants.

See, that's what I was hoping for & expecting when I ordered my dry-aged porterhouse, but mine didn't look much different than anyone else's at the table, just a little larger. Maybe I just didn't get a very good one, I don't no. But it left me thinking I won't order the upgrade again.

See, that's what I was hoping for & expecting when I ordered my dry-aged porterhouse, but mine didn't look much different than anyone else's at the table, just a little larger. Maybe I just didn't get a very good one, I don't no. But it left me thinking I won't order the upgrade again.

I would have been disappointed if that was our experience. Which ship were you sailing? We noticed the difference during our cruise on Quantum, and we're headed on the Allure next month.

OK, so I have to pay $35 to get into Chops and then another $19 for this Dry Aged Steak - and that's on top of what I already paid for food on the cruise. This is a vacation and I do love a really good steak. The question is - is this a really good steak? Is this a fifty dollar steak? If so, you might say I'm "on board" with it!

Based on our experience this week in Chops the short answer is an absolute no.

Each of us have a different value on a $50 bill. My value says the Dry Aged Steak at the cost of $50 is NOT worth it. Your $50 would be better spent at the Chef's Table.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

I'm not really trying to get the best steak possible when we go to Chops on a cruise so I would never pay the upcharge for the dry age steak. I always get the filet and have enjoyed them very much. I am not a steak connoisseur so if the filet is cooked to the temperature I want it and it is tender and has some flavor than I am good. The wife always gets the Lamb Chops and she is happy! I have had as good of steak at Longhorn Steakhouse as I have had at Morton's!:cool:

The tagline for Chops is the best steak on the high seas. That might be true, but any steak that is cooked on an electric grill is not going to be worth that kind of money for me.

I can get an incredible steak around here for that kind of money. So I would rather eat the regular food, and enjoy the great steaks locally.

The only way a steak should be cooked is over hardwood charcoal or hardwood. Anything else is awful and flavorless to me.

So I avoid chops because of that.

Agreed, but still pretty good.

Cattle prices including Feeder cattle are down 40% over the past couple of years from a top price of a little over $3.00 per pound on the hoof which was about an all time high. One would think that Chops would be lowering its prices instead of raising them, but I guess its all supply and demand.

Cattle prices including Feeder cattle are down 40% over the past couple of years from a top price of a little over $3.00 per pound on the hoof which was about an all time high. One would think that Chops would be lowering its prices instead of raising them, but I guess its all supply and demand.

Yep but I don't think RCI is doing their pricing in Chops off of cattle prices!

We love most everything about cruising on Royal, except for he Steaks from Chops. They are basically flavorless. I believe it is as mentioned, cooked on electric grill. Just not the way to cook a good steak. Having said that, Chops has other non steak items on the menu that are good and their deserts and apps or great.....