Please help me understand the Celebrity one-category upgrade

Doc2725

We were able to book a C2 on the slant with the larger balcony for the price of a C3.

It's good to keep it in mind just in case it works to your benefit!

We just did this on our March cruise. The C3 was less expensive than our 1A hump, so we got the C2 hump cabin for less than the 1A hump cabin. I wouldn't pay much for concierge benefits, but I'll certainly pay LESS for them :)

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can pay for C2 and have an upgrade to C1...does anyone know?

Correct, you are very unlikely to receive a Captain's Club upgrade from C2 to C1. This is specifically excluded in the program rules as cited earlier. Others have reported exceptions.

Also note that the rules state that this CC upgrade is only valid at time of booking. Well, maybe. We'll be on Eclipse in January. When I booked I asked for a C2 at C3 price. My guy at Celebrity said, no-can-do, no C2s available. Fast forward 3 months, time for final payment. I call me guy, tell him I am ready to give him my credit card number for the payment, but first could he check to see if any C2s have opened up. He looked, he found one, he booked me in the C2 at the original C3 price, and I paid. [Actually, I don't think it was the original C3 price, but the then-current C3 price which was lower than when I did the original booking. In any case I lost nothing and gained an upgrade to a "hump slant" cabin.]

So, the rules are fairly clear but sometimes you may be able to get exceptions made. I wouldn't count on it, but it does happen.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

You can't upgrade if the next category up is on closed or guarantee status; you can only upgrade if there is a specific cabin open. If there isn't, just keep checking and you shouldn't have any problem upgrading (I'm not sure about after final payment though).

Thank you for the reference, however I'm aware of the categories being excluded...just asked if you could pay for C2 and go to C1. I know you can't go C1 to a suite if that's what you're referring to. Post #12 in the note before mine mentioned "When I booked the Equinox cruise for next year, I was able to book an A1 cabin for the A2 price, which saved me $650 and we are getting the Best Pkg as well." which made me think why would C2 to C1 be any different?

Yes, you can book an A1 for the price of an A2, but you cannot book a C1 for the price of a C2 which is why it is listed as being excluded.

I suspect it is because many people believe the A2 cabins are in a better location than the A1 cabins, so it does not make much difference. (The price between an A2 and A1 is not usually major) For the most part the C1 cabins are in better locations than the C3 and C2 cabins. ( the price differences to C1 is usually more significant). Of course there are exceptions to the price differences based on demand, but most will agree that the C1 cabins are in much better location.

Of course the exclusion might be for a different reason based on some other market differences. If you saved $650 for an A1 over an A2 you did very well. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, you can book an A1 for the price of an A2, but you cannot book a C1 for the price of a C2 which is why it is listed as being excluded.

I suspect it is because many people believe the A2 cabins are in a better location than the A1 cabins, so it does not make much difference. (The price between an A2 and A1 is not usually major) For the most part the C1 cabins are in better locations than the C3 and C2 cabins. ( the price differences to C1 is usually more significant). Of course there are exceptions to the price differences based on demand, but most will agree that the C1 cabins are in much better location.

Of course the exclusion might be for a different reason based on some other market differences. If you saved $650 for an A1 over an A2 you did very well. Enjoy your cruise.

Correct, no paying for a C2 and getting a C1 ;). I, too, imagine it's because of their location. They would be gone in a heart beat on every M class ship before you could say 'huge' balcony if it was permitted :D.

Correct, no paying for a C2 and getting a C1 ;). I, too, imagine it's because of their location. They would be gone in a heart beat on every M class ship before you could say 'huge' balcony if it was permitted :D.

Funny, on Solstice class ships the C1’s are aft facing cabins. Yes very popular but I personally prefer the C2 cabins on the hump with some of the largest verandahs on the ship. At a C3 price of course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, on Solstice class ships the C1’s are aft facing cabins. Yes very popular but I personally prefer the C2 cabins on the hump with some of the largest verandahs on the ship. At a C3 price of course!

Ditto this! On an M class, I'd take the aft but on S class, go for the C2!

I feel bad that I posted misinformation. It's been so long since I used that upgrade.

So, how does it work for an X Guarantee? If I get assigned a cabin, do I call the Captain's Club and ask for the upgrade?

No, the upgrade does not apply to a cabin assigned via a GTY.

I feel bad that I posted misinformation. It's been so long since I used that upgrade.

So, how does it work for an X Guarantee? If I get assigned a cabin, do I call the Captain's Club and ask for the upgrade?

A guarantee category has built in savings, and they're usually available closer to the sail date. That makes them very attractive if you're flexible and don't feel attached to any particular location. The Captain's Club discount is a nice benefit for those who enjoy choosing a cabin and those who plan their travel far in advance.

The C1 afts on S class are a completely different beast, hence me specifically stating the M class in my post :). All cabins are the same size on S class, too ;). Personally, wouldn't bother with C on S class, would take the 1A instead :).

image.jpg4_zpshejn6ml7.jpg

Think this says it all :cool:.

The C1 afts on S class are a completely different beast, hence me specifically stating the M class in my post :). All cabins are the same size on S class, too ;). Personally, wouldn't bother with C on S class, would take the 1A instead :).

image.jpg4_zpshejn6ml7.jpg

Think this says it all :cool:.

Nice Verandah! Yes I am aware that M class and S class Concierge class cabins are different, hence why i mentioned my comments were for Solstice class ships.

True, if the price is higher then I wouldn't be bothered with Concierge class over a 1A (at a 1B price!) either - but I think for our next cruise we only paid $50 more for the C2 and got all 3 perks so it was awesome value :D

• 7 months later...
Hmm, okay cool, thank you. I am in the RCI Latitudes program. Can I transfer my member level?

They are not transferrable, but because I was so high in RCCL loyalty, it was also recognized by Celebrity and I came into the program higher than those with no or low RCCL. Azamara doesn't recognize RCCL or Celebrity at all. You have the same loyalty number for all 3 cruiselines.

I presume all of this talk refers to balcony cabins of one grade or another. Does any of this reply to inside cabins ? I booked through a TA (in the UK) over the phone. Told the guy of my interest of inside cabin and the costs I had seen quoted online. He told me "ah yes, I have this, oh no I think I can do better than that, I have this" He did this a couple of times before I settled on an acceptable cabin number/location. I don't think he knew his job too well because I had to remind him of a few things during the course of the conversation like preferred dining times & bed set up etc. My point is I didn't even mention I am a Captain's Club member...and silly me I wasn't aware of this upgrade perk. Do you suppose I could have got even better out of him ?

All a bit too late now I realise but just wondering for the future.

I presume all of this talk refers to balcony cabins of one grade or another. Does any of this reply to inside cabins ? I booked through a TA (in the UK) over the phone. Told the guy of my interest of inside cabin and the costs I had seen quoted online. He told me "ah yes, I have this, oh no I think I can do better than that, I have this" He did this a couple of times before I settled on an acceptable cabin number/location. I don't think he knew his job too well because I had to remind him of a few things during the course of the conversation like preferred dining times & bed set up etc. My point is I didn't even mention I am a Captain's Club member...and silly me I wasn't aware of this upgrade perk. Do you suppose I could have got even better out of him ?

No, insides too, but there are exceptions (see an early post for full details).

Well I must admit that I've missed out on this benefit several times. The next two cruises I have booked were booked on board and getting upgraded to the next level in the category wasn't mentioned either time. Shame on me for not remembering to ask (I do remember reading about this in the past but honestly forgot about it when booking). Thanks to this thread - I will (hopefully) remember to ask next time.

Is this somewhere on Celebrity's website?

If you are Captain's Club, you can get a one cat upgrade. However, that is useless now with the perk system since it can't be combined with other offers. That's why we really don't talk about it these days. It will be applicable on cruises where there are no offers, like transatlantics. Note that the upgrade is within category only (ie: 2D to 2C, not Concierge to Aqua). I've probably forgotten something, but that's the main concept.

They are not transferrable, but because I was so high in RCCL loyalty, it was also recognized by Celebrity and I came into the program higher than those with no or low RCCL. Azamara doesn't recognize RCCL or Celebrity at all. You have the same loyalty number for all 3 cruiselines.

Not true. At least my Royal C&A and my Celebrity CC are totally unrelated numbers, ditto for my wife. I can't speak for Azmara numbers.

Stan

I presume all of this talk refers to balcony cabins of one grade or another. Does any of this reply [apply] to inside cabins ? I booked through a TA (in the UK) over the phone. Told the guy of my interest of inside cabin and the costs I had seen quoted online. ... My point is I didn't even mention I am a Captain's Club member...and silly me I wasn't aware of this upgrade perk. Do you suppose I could have got even better out of him ?

From the current website as of 20 minutes ago: One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Upgrades available from catefories 11 to A1

The quoted footnote does NOT include the well-known exception that this benefit will not apply for C2 to C1 bookings. It also mentions nothing of "can't be combined with other offers" which another post claimed but which I have never seen. I would suggest that anyone doing a booking in the near future, before the new website fully matures, it would be wise to call the Captain's Club and confirm the extent and limitation of this benefit.

Stan

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can pay for C2 and have an upgrade to C1...does anyone know?

Correct doesn't this is the only exception. We just booked A2 and upgraded to A1 but preferred C1 but couldn't get same upgrade to C1.