If They Split Your OBC

Orator

Just off Infinity. Half of non refundable OBC placed in my name, other half in DW's name. They will not divide purchases between the two names. Let's say you each have $100 in OBC and you purchase an item for $150. They will billed the entire $150 to your account. You may need to pay the additional $50 and your DW's account will still have a $100 balance that will be lost if not spent. Several were in that situation. Here's how to prevent that from happening: Go to Guest relations and sign over the OBC to one person so that it will all be deposited and deducted from one name. Charge all purchases on the Seapass card of the one with the OBC. Not doing this may cost you money and additional expense. Easy to do and it really worked for me.

Our Folio #'s have always been the same, no separate accounts.

Mine as well, until this Infinity cruise. Don't know if it was the WAVE OBC, or a new policy, or whatever, but it was different this time on Infinity. Just wanted to let future passengers how to handle it if it happens to them.

Just off Infinity. Half of non refundable OBC placed in my name, other half in DW's name. They will not divide purchases between the two names. Let's say you each have $100 in OBC and you purchase an item for $150. They will billed the entire $150 to your account. You may need to pay the additional $50 and your DW's account will still have a $100 balance that will be lost if not spent. Several were in that situation. Here's how to prevent that from happening: Go to Guest relations and sign over the OBC to one person so that it will all be deposited and deducted from one name. Charge all purchases on the Seapass card of the one with the OBC. Not doing this may cost you money and additional expense. Easy to do and it really worked for me.

Here’s an easier way of doing it. When you do your on line checkin put both names under one account.

Here’s an easier way of doing it. When you do your on line checkin put both names under one account.

That was done. Perhaps just a glitch in the system, but I met several who experienced the same problem. Guest Relations was not aware of the problem until I told them about it. May never happen again, but always good to know what to do if it does.

That was done. Perhaps just a glitch in the system, but I met several who experienced the same problem. Guest Relations was not aware of the problem until I told them about it. May never happen again, but always good to know what to do if it does.

Charles, same just happened to us on Summit last week - maybe they have new system in place. Got it straightened out - just used Karl's card for purchases and then had guest relations correct balance.

Charles, same just happened to us on Summit last week - maybe they have new system in place. Got it straightened out - just used Karl's card for purchases and then had guest relations correct balance.

Hope you enjoyed Summit. Interesting that the same thing happened on Summit. People need to check their onboard account and take action if they notice the same thing. Will be on Silhouette November 5th and see what happens.

We had the same problem on Eclipse in March. I didn't think too much of it when looking at our onboard account on the TV but when we got the printout the last night I saw I had an on board credit that was not drawn down on and my DH had all the charges. We had had an earlier issue when we needed to go to GR and have a credit card swiped for my DH's folio despite the fact that I had done the online registration registering us together and our card was swiped at check-in. It was fixed before breakfast on the morning we disembarked and luckily there was no one in line.

I blamed the problem on the fact that the person who checked us in at the pier was clueless, she had to ask for help from a co-worker and a supervisor.

We are Elite + Celebrity so I certainty know how to do the on line check-in. I'll be sure to pay more attention to our account on the TV for the future cruises.

Hope you enjoyed Summit. Interesting that the same thing happened on Summit. People need to check their onboard account and take action if they notice the same thing. Will be on Silhouette November 5th and see what happens.

We've also had a problem previously when our DS's folio was put on a cash account and the rest of the family was still under the one CC. Even though we'd linked all together online when we completed the checkin prior to sailing, it was wrong when we boarded and GS contacted him to come and sort his account :eek:. Just to point out, our DS was barely a teen - unsure where he was going to get his cash stash from :D. We took him down to GS and they sorted it, no problem ;).

When we were on Silhouette in Dec we had no issues at all. I checked us in online with one cc and everything hit that. So super easy. Our OBC was con-joined since I checked us in together and said I was responsible for both accounts

Edited by karena1

When we were on Silhouette in Dec we had no issues at all. I checked us in online with one cc and everything hit that. So super easy. Our OBC was con-joined since I checked us in together and said I was responsible for both accounts

Glad you had no problems. Those who have reported problems are highly experienced Celebrity cruisers who really understand the on line system. They did everything as they should and still had a problem. You can do everything right and still have a problem. My advice is to check your account while on board and go to Guest Relations if you notice a problem. They will find a way to resolve it. Not being proactive may cost you some stress and a loss of some non refundable OBC.

Our Folio #'s have always been the same, no separate accounts.

Ours, too. The OPs way doesn't sound logical unless they had different folio numbers or didn't plan on spending all their OBC.

I once went with my adult nephews and applied everything to my credit card, even though they were in a different room. When they had leftover OBC, it was applied to the balance of my folio.

In the case where I went with my brother and his wife, they simply moved some of the charges from my folio onto theirs so our OBC was all used and the additional charges were pretty much equal.

Not sure what the problem was on the OPs folio.

Thank you for posting this. I know you are an experienced cruiser and that this may have been a one off or possibly a harbinger for all of us. Either way, it's useful to know.

Edited by CYNSport

Ours, too. The OPs way doesn't sound logical unless they had different folio numbers or didn't plan on spending all their OBC.

I once went with my adult nephews and applied everything to my credit card, even though they were in a different room. When they had leftover OBC, it was applied to the balance of my folio.

In the case where I went with my brother and his wife, they simply moved some of the charges from my folio onto theirs so our OBC was all used and the additional charges were pretty much equal.

Not sure what the problem was on the OPs folio.

Not a problem with my folio, or OBC, or anything on my end. Since tThe OBC was non refundable I planned to spend it all and not make an extra contribution to Celebrity. I know and am friendly with the staff at Guest Relations. They told me and others in the same situation how they wanted it handled. I did what they said and it was resolved very quickly. Their ship, their procedures and they may vary based on who's calling the shots on the particular cruise.

Edited by Orator

Hopefully you were abl

Internet died for a time.

Hopefully you were able to use your OBC. Imagine the passenger who wakes up the final morning and looks at their bill only to find that they owe money while OBC remains on their partner's card. Just check your account!

Thank you for the heads up.. we will check our account on our December cruise.

Most husbands and wives are on the SAME account...so it doesn't matter! The end result is the same.

Well apparently that doesn't work all the time - hence the point of this thread. :rolleyes:

Internet died for a time.

Hopefully you were able to use your OBC. Imagine the passenger who wakes up the final morning and looks at their bill only to find that they owe money while OBC remains on their partner's card. Just check your account!

They allowed us to transfer OBC between the accounts as needed to use it, but it was a hassle. They couldn't explain what happened, especially since we were B2B passengers!

Orator

Many thanks for this heads up. May I ask how you can tell that the OBC had been allocated that way because I am sure that, in the past, our OBR has been allocated to one folio number or the other but it has not mattered?

We have a huge (compared with the average passenger) amount of OBC, most of it purchased by us. It is intended to cover all our on board purchases. Clearly you are not speaking of purchased OBC but, if they do the same with that type of OBC, it will make life extremely difficult having to remember who needs to sign for things so that we do not end up with credit for one person and debit for the other.

Why does Celebrity make life difficult for those who plan carefully to have a relaxing time on board?

If the two cabin accounts are linked to the same credit card, then the totals for both accounts will be combined and any unused OBC from one account will thus apply to charges to the other account.

Edited by caribill

If the two cabin accounts are linked to the same credit card, then the totals for both accounts will be combined and any unused OBC from one account will thus apply to charges to the other account.

That's the point Orator and a few others are trying to make, even if you set it up that way pre cruise online, it doesn't always translate that way once onboard ;). Basically, it can throw a wobbly, so check you get what you're entitled to. As I stated, all was fine online on our account and onboard my 13 yr old was suddenly on a separate cash account ;).