Suggestions for non-water activities in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth

cndwelch

Our family will be cruising to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth in a few weeks and we are looking for excursion ideas.

My husband and I will be taking our 2 youngest kids, 11 and 12, and they are not fans of the beach (shocking, I know!). We're looking for something easy-moderate level, husband has a bad back so nothing too strenuous. He's a bit of a photography buff so we'd love to do some sightseeing, but don't want the kids to get bored.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

What we've done and thoroughly enjoyed:

Cozumel...Carnival excursion called Salsa and salsa.

You're taken to a little resort and taught to make 6-7 different types of salsas (sweet, savoury and spicy). They give you chips and taquitos to eat them all with. All the while, they load you up with free margaritas (non-alcoholic drinks available). Once everyone's made salsas, eaten and drank, they move tables out of the way and have a salsa dancing lesson. This was quite enjoyable and we'd do it again any time.

Cayman...independent excursion with Captain Marvins.

Their office is about a block or so from the tender area. We did a tour that covered Hell and the Turtle Farm. Had a nice excursion and it was quite affordable. Like the other one, we'd do this again. This left us with time after the tour to grab lunch somewhere in town or just walk around the waterfront.

Our family will be cruising to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth in a few weeks and we are looking for excursion ideas.

My husband and I will be taking our 2 youngest kids, 11 and 12, and they are not fans of the beach (shocking, I know!). We're looking for something easy-moderate level, husband has a bad back so nothing too strenuous. He's a bit of a photography buff so we'd love to do some sightseeing, but don't want the kids to get bored.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

In Cayman and Jamaica I second going to the ports of call boards and finding tour operators who can customize things to your liking. We always go to the beach or Chankanaab in Cozumel, but I am guessing you could find the same thing available there. Depending on your length of stay, I would recommend a tour to one of the larger ruins - don't fall for something close to town - so that may require the ferry to the mainland. Book that through the ship. My boys have both enjoyed trips to ruins at that age.

If you are in port long enough in Cozumel, the ruins in Tulum are fantastic. It's an all day excursion, though (7 hours), so you need lots of time.

In Grand Cayman, the turtle farm is great! Several excursions offer this as a stop, and it's well worth seeing.

Dunn's River Falls is lots of fun, but does involve water (but not beach!). We always choose an excursion that includes climbing the falls when in Jamaica.

I appreciate your question as I am looking for the same. My wife hates the water and everything onshore that she might be interested in that Carnival offers frankly looks boring to me.

I like the tour of the Turtle farm, that sounds cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! We are booked on Liberty on November 19, so we're holding off on purchasing any excursions until we know she's back up and running and our sailing is still on (the previous 2 have been canceled due to mechanical issues).

I'm pretty sure we'll do the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman. I agree with asalligo, the non-water excursions that Carnival offers look pretty boring.

We're debating Dunn's River Falls and Mystic Mountain in Jamaica. We climbed the falls about 15 years ago (and it was fabulous!), but don't think we could manage the slippery rocks anymore. Has anyone walked up the steps on the side? Just wondering if it would be a little less strenuous. :)

I'm doing almost the exact itinerary. For Falmouth I'm looking at just doing a tour of the town, lots of old buildings and there's supposedly an Usain Bolt statue coming. At the Cayman Islands there's a couple of neat looking museums I want to see and Cozumel I'm heading to Playa del Carmen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We found renting a Jeep in Cozumel and Grand Cayman very enjoyable. The shore on the other side of the island in Cozumel is beautiful. Grand Cayman has several places worth stopping like the turtle farm. And the jeep can add some adventure for the kids by simply putting the top down.

Burt

We found renting a Jeep in Cozumel and Grand Cayman very enjoyable. The shore on the other side of the island in Cozumel is beautiful. Grand Cayman has several places worth stopping like the turtle farm. And the jeep can add some adventure for the kids by simply putting the top down.

Burt

On Cozumel, we did the "Wild side" and found it incredible. Worth considering.

Also, in the morning we did the America's Cup Yacht Race, still one of my all time favorites. We were able to do that in the morning, then in the afternoon hit the Wild side.

if you are adventurous, there is the Cozumel Bar Hop. They leave from Senor Frog's across the street from the NCL Port & take you to the Eastern side of the Island. You stop at several Bar's, have a couple drinks & snacks then go on to the next. We had a great time. Will definitely do it again. Go online to Cozumel Bar Hop dot com.