Norovirus on ncl escape

CadillacRon

I'm on the Norwegian Escape currently docked in Nassau. The ship is sick with hundreds of people with the Norwalk Virus. Shows have been cancelled (sick performers) and there are barf bags everywhere. Before we left port last Saturday, I saw on Facebook a friend of mine had just debarked. I called him and both he and his friend got sick (projectile vomiting and intestinal explosions). Our embarkation was delayed and the ship left late as workers in hazmat suits tried to sanitize the ship. It didn't work. Despite washing my hands constantly and trying not to touch things, Wednesday night I got violently ill. My brother called the medical center to report it and was told if I wanted to see the doctor it would cost $885. By the next day cases had progressed so much that they finally offered a "free consultation" with the doctor over the PA system. I can't believe they would initially use the outbreak as a revenue opportunity. We were told about 20% of people on board were affected. That would work out to 840 passengers, not counting crew. If NCL lets this ship depart Miami tomorrow, that would be completely irresponsible of them. I didn't really want to spend my vacation with chills and barfing. Also, I'm sure NCL is under-reporting the numbers of sick people since when they were told I was sick, all they told us was the cost to see the doctor. They didn't ask who we were or ask any other information. The CDC should be aware of this. If I had known this was a "sick ship" (as described by one crew member) I would have gotten off and enjoyed my vacation on land. On a bright note, my abs are really tight from all the heaving and diarrhea.

I'm on the Norwegian Escape currently docked in Nassau. The ship is sick with hundreds of people with the Norwalk Virus. Shows have been cancelled (sick performers) and there are barf bags everywhere. Before we left port last Saturday, I saw on Facebook a friend of mine had just debarked. I called him and both he and his friend got sick (projectile vomiting and intestinal explosions). Our embarkation was delayed and the ship left late as workers in hazmat suits tried to sanitize the ship. It didn't work. Despite washing my hands constantly and trying not to touch things, Wednesday night I got violently ill. My brother called the medical center to report it and was told if I wanted to see the doctor it would cost $885. By the next day cases had progressed so much that they finally offered a "free consultation" with the doctor over the PA system. I can't believe they would initially use the outbreak as a revenue opportunity. We were told about 20% of people on board were affected. That would work out to 840 passengers, not counting crew. If NCL lets this ship depart Miami tomorrow, that would be completely irresponsible of them. I didn't really want to spend my vacation with chills and barfing. Also, I'm sure NCL is under-reporting the numbers of sick people since when they were told I was sick, all they told us was the cost to see the doctor. They didn't ask who we were or ask any other information. The CDC should be aware of this. If I had known this was a "sick ship" (as described by one crew member) I would have gotten off and enjoyed my vacation on land. On a bright note, my abs are really tight from all the heaving and diarrhea.

Your rant is understandable but if you think for one second NCL will not report the exact number of sick passengers think again. As for being told 20% on board are sick, I can believe this. We have cruised on 2 ships with outbreaks, one was following a severe outbreak the sailing before NCL did everything possible to control the virus didnt' affect any of us. They did a great job, yes, there were a handful of sick passengers on our ship but for the most part, other than the inconvenience of no salt and pepper on table, no ice for the first several days, not being able to to get our own food in the buffet line ro the VIP dining room we did just fine and are thankful we did not get sick. The other time we were on a ship with a breakout they were not nearly as professional and did nothing to inform us there was a problem.

I might add, I am surprised you were not given an option at embarkation to cancel the cruise if it was as bad the sailing before as it seems to have been. But please, remember this is just as hard on the cruise line as it is on the passengers.

The 800 dollars to see the doctor, I don't think anyone can explain that. Everyone I have even spoken with that has developed noro on the ship has not been charged for seeing a doctor. something is missing from that part of the story.

I hope you are feeling better, we did have it many years ago after debarkation. We never knew for sure if it was food poisining from a restaurant we ate at on the way home or the noro we may have picked up just toward the end of cruise. Whatever it wasn't fun.

I'm sure it's been reported. You are correct - if they let the ship sail tomorrow as schedule, it is irresponsible. This is the 2nd sailing now with the virus, and it sounds like this sailing is worse than the last.

Wow! That sucks so much.

I saw another post where someone showed barf bags on a table. I just thought maybe there were rough seas. Ha! Usually the sailing after an outbreak is totally safe and clean. They obviously missed something, (or less likely, it's a new spread.)

Funny, I too am aboard...barf bags ONLY showed up Thursday for high seas....have not heard any cancelled shows...and if 20% of guests were REALLY sick the lines would be shorter and decks would not be packed. While I too got a call last week to arrive at 1 on sat, 10/22 I arrived earlier and was aboard just after 1

Pier staff suggested embarkation started before noon. CD Scott also announced that a medical consult would be FREE for any guest feeling ill.

Hand washing in sinks.at buffet entrance is insisted upon and there has been NO self serving at all. Heck even menus are photocopied and are thrown away afer each use...AND key cards are.sanitized when checking in for dinner...

Yes there may well be many people ill....but 20%?? No way. Too many people around for there to be so.many who are.allegedly sick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We are leaving on November 12th and I am now VERY concerned!!!

There are only 9 posts in this thread right now. If you read all of them, you probably wouldn't be. There seems to be some conflicting info. Also, the person doing the live report has made no mention of this either.

I believe that noro reports to public health officials are done at the end of the cruise before docking.

The routine report to USPH is made at least 24 hours prior to arrival at first US port, whether there have been any cases of GI illness or not. When the number of reportable cases reaches 2% of pax or crew, regardless of when in the cruise it happens, a supplemental report is provided. At this point, supplemental reports are required every 24 hours subsequently. What most people think of as the "CDC report" is actually titled the "Outbreak update". When the number of reportable cases exceeds 3% of pax or crew, another supplemental report must be made, which includes remediation methods. This is when the "CDC report" is posted on the website, and this is typically not updated but once every two weeks. So, the only reports that the public sees are the ones that exceed the 3% trigger level, but there are many more reports that are not public.

As for calling the USPH (part of CDC that deals with ships), I'm not sure they would give out any information regarding an outbreak. You must understand what the USPH's mandate is: It is not to protect the health of cruise ship passengers. Their mandate is to prevent the introduction of infectious diseases into the US, so their emphasis is not on informing the cruising public.

Funny, I too am aboard...barf bags ONLY showed up Thursday for high seas....have not heard any cancelled shows...and if 20% of guests were REALLY sick the lines would be shorter and decks would not be packed. While I too got a call last week to arrive at 1 on sat, 10/22 I arrived earlier and was aboard just after 1

Pier staff suggested embarkation started before noon. CD Scott also announced that a medical consult would be FREE for any guest feeling ill.

Hand washing in sinks.at buffet entrance is insisted upon and there has been NO self serving at all. Heck even menus are photocopied and are thrown away afer each use...AND key cards are.sanitized when checking in for dinner...

Yes there may well be many people ill....but 20%?? No way. Too many people around for there to be so.many who are.allegedly sick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

em

well what you are saying makes sense. This could explain the charge for a doctor. If the ship is offering a medical consultant that would be the way to go.

I m sure when people get worked up they are inclined to embellish a little with numbers. Not to mention it is like the old game we played at parties called "gossip" everyone would pass a story or something someone had said: by the time it got back to the first person it was nowhere near the story that 1st person had told.

Let me also add; someone said it would be irresponsible to sail tomorrow. Well how often has anyone seen a school close down when there is an outbreak of noro or a doctors office and how about a hotel? No, this is a very uncomfortable and yucky virus but nothing worth a ship not sailing.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The "ship" isn't sick...the PASSENGERS ARE! Tis the season for Noro, unfortunately! Once school starts, germs are shared with everyone! Folks can have the germ DAYS before the symptoms start...that's why it's so hard to control! You are contagious before you are actually ill. So folks who feel perfectly fine board the ship and then, get sick...and so it goes....

Seems there is some confusion here: OP is telling us how sick everyone is and the doctor wants 800.00 to see a sick passenger, but I have read 3 posts, including one from a gentleman that is on the ship or just debarking now, that say there is no noro visus outbreak or certainly not like OP reported. I wonder what is the true situation?

Just off the Escape this morning. When we boarded there were flyers handed out telling us that the previous sailing had over 2% of the passengers sickened by the Norovirus. There was an evident enhanced sanitation effort which I was told they were going to continue on this weeks cruise up until St Thomas.

Some of the odd but applaudable efforts along this vein were:

1)Paper copies of all menus including high end restaurants onboard, which they would promptly take after your order and throw away.

2)No salt or other condiments on the table...if you required same you had to ask your server and they will bring little packets or individual servings in little plastic taster cups.

3)smeary streaky elevator walls from being sprayed down with dissenfectant which I guess had to be left on there to sanitize.

4) The buffet was the most evident changes as guests are not allowed to take anything for yourself, they even had staff hand YOU plates and silverware one at a time and also filling your coffee and iced tea. Also all handles of serving utensils are pointed inward and you must point to what you want and the staff has to serve you.

I was greatful for their efforts and rumors of another outbreak such as the previous week are exaggerated!! I asked several crew members if anyone on our voyage had come down with the Noro and the answere was zero until the last evening a staff member told me there had been 13 ill which on a ship holding 6000 crew and guests is a far cry from 20% reported herein. WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS WORKING, BE PATIENT WITH THE LITTLE INCONVEINENCES AND BE ENCOURAGED. A staff member told me they were going to continue the above measures a couple of more days into this weeks cruise to be on the safe side.

Have a great cruise and be careful but don't be frieghtened.

Just spent the last week enjoying the Escape. Despite the prior week's Noro breakout, a delayed embarkation and clearly some changes in protocol (most notably in the buffet), I did not see or hear of any of the issues raised by the OP.

We did experience some high waves and winds on Thursday (I believe the weather reported said 11' waves and pretty sustained 20-30 mph winds throughout the day), which had the boat rocking. It was at that point that the paper "motion sickness" bags appeared around public areas.

As I shared on another post, I appreciate the efforts NCL made to keep things as safe as possible for us, and if there was any noro on board, I didn't hear of it (and fortunately none of us in our party of four were impacted by it). Other than the elevator walls, which seemed to never be clean and were in need of some washy washy, the ship was kept pretty clean. We saw an unbelievable effort by the ship's crew last night in the Manhattan dining room....a baby got sick and vomited several tables away. Whether it had anything to do with a GI illness, or just an upset tummy...who knows. But the family got up quickly and within minutes there were workers in white haz-mat suits, including respirator masks, cleaning and sanitizing the whole area. They had red biohazard bags and literally stripped the table and threw away everything - china, wine glasses, silverware. All of the nearby tables were vacant and they stripped those of the linens and everything else on them as well. Within 5 minutes they had stripped, scrubbed and vacuumed...it was truly incredible to see how serious they took this.

Wishing future sailings a safe and awesome journey. The ship was fantastic!

Just off the Escape today and never saw anyone sick. Elevators were not dirty, they were all sprayed with disinfectant that made them look dirty, and since several times during the day a bank of elevators would be out of service I suspect they were spraying them daily.

I am thankful for the extra work the crew did before we boarded and the whole week long.

I have had personal experience with the noro virus, and I remember the rumors that were flying around the ship. The one thing you can count on is that NCL will do everything they possibly can to limit the spread of the virus. The crew did an exceptional job of cleaning every surface, including the terminal.

And the CDC was on board several days before the end of the cruise.

I just got off this cruise this morning. The barf bags were only out when we hit 15 foot seas. That will cause many people to get sea sick. The only show that was cancelled was not because a performer was sick but because one of the stars of the Brat Pack show was working out in the gym before Thursday night performance when we hit the 15 foot waves and he went one way when the ship went the other and he fell and hurt his shoulder.

The crew work extra hard to keep us healthy. All I saw and heard was many fellow passengers complaining of the many mussures the crew took to keep us healthy. I also saw many passengers trying to circumvent the health procedures and grab sandwiches with their bear hands or try to grab other food when they were supposed to be served.

I called CDC and so far they have no report .. we leave in 2 weeks for a 2 week cruise I am freaking out

I just got off the Escape this morning. The report you read was very inaccurate. The only day Barf bags were out was when we hit 15 foot seas for the entire day. I have friends were are part of the crew and they told me that the situation was well in-hand. The only show that was cancelled was due to an injured main performer who fell in the gym during the 15 foot waves.

You will have a great time, just remember to wash your hands often and well.