Princess folks on the Empress

pathi

Hi Folks,

I just booked a cruise this spring on the Empress of the seas. This is my first trip on RCI.

Can anyone that has sailed both lines give me a comparison of the two please?

We booked an owners suite, how do the suite perks compare?

Thanks in advance.

Have not sailed on Princess but will tell you that Empress is one of the smallest, oldest shops in the Royal fleet. Not a true representation of the line. Basic comparison on lines will not get you what you are looking for.

If you let others know what Princess ships you have sailed, or prefer, you will probably get better responses.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

We have sailed Ruby, Golden, Carribean, and Regal in a couple of weeks. Ruby is our favorite.

Also Ncl Star an Getaway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like akcruz said, Empress is not comparable to newer ships and is not a good representation of the brand. It has been refurbished, but is tiny compared to modern cruise ship standards.

If you are unaware, Empress was retired from Royal Caribbean many years ago and sent to a Spanish cruise line under the Royal Caribbean portfolio of brands. It was just recently returned to Royal Caribbean for the purpose of cruises to Cuba, however, Royal Caribbean has not gotten approval yet, so she is essentially in limbo, sailing at rock bottom low prices.

The Empress, if i remember correctly, does not have a Suite Lounge like you would have on other Royal Caribbean ships (offering open bar happy hours nightly and concierge services), and the staterooms are very small (including suites).

Definitely do not expect to get the same type of vacation you would expect on a newer Princess or NCL ship or any other Royal Caribbean ship.

Having sailed Princess but mainly Royal, i would have chosen a newer and larger ship then the Empress. We have sailed 3 Radiance Class ( Brilliance, Radiance & Serenade) & a Freedom Class, the Liberty and we love the Radiance Class ships for the ocean views and ease of getting around, The Freedom Class for beauty & entertainment.

Empress is in no way whatsoever an accurate representation of Royal ships. As has been said already, her sole purpose in life will be the Cuba run once they get approval to do so. That means she is only used for transport and the real draw will be the ports. There is zero comparison to any other ship in Royals fleet, let alone other cruise lines

I have cruised Princess twice and RC many more times but I'm not scheduled for the Empress until December so I can't speak about this ship specifically. That being said, I find the overall cruise experience pretty much the same on both lines. The trivia, shows, parties are all similar, but most RC ships have way more fun amenities that Princess doesn't. I think the food is better on Princess. Service is comparable, usually outstanding on both. I have not sailed in a suite on either one so can't comment on perks.

Hi Folks,

I just booked a cruise this spring on the Empress of the seas. This is my first trip on RCI.

Can anyone that has sailed both lines give me a comparison of the two please?

We booked an owners suite, how do the suite perks compare?

Thanks in advance.

My input is based on our experiences with the ship when she was relatively new as Nordic Empress and our recent cruise on Empress of the Seas this year. She was unique to RCI when they procured her and they have not changed that when bringing her back into the RCI fold recently. We thoroughly enjoyed going back on board after many years absence so much so that we have another cruise booked early next year!

That being said, we prefer smaller ships to the newer larger ones. The Empress is a great example of the ships of her era. She is larger than Titanic was by the way. She was also the first cruise ship to have a two tiered dining room.

The ship has undergone a complete renovation. She is absolutely beautiful (you can see many pictures taken by CC here http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=1103).

For the 5 night cruise you have booked I think you will enjoy it. A small number of passengers and a dedicated, professional crew will make it more like a cruise of yore compared to the mega-entertainment venues that newer ships have become.

Not knowing your expectations I can only hope you will enjoy Empress.

Bon Voyage!

Edited by Scotty G

I have sailed on the Caribbean & the Royal with Princess. I just got off of the Empress on Saturday. There is no comparison between these ships, as others have said. I like the smaller ships, the Royal was really big, a lot of walking. The crew on the Empress were great, I knew 6 of them from sailing on other ships. The MDR menu was a little different than the normal RCL ships, I also liked that. There is no Diamond or Concierge Lounge on the Empress. The Schooner Bar is the largest in the RCL fleet, with a great piano player there. The pool deck is small, as is the gym. There was always a place to set in the Windjammer (buffet). The rooms a small, I had an inside cabin sailing as a solo. There was enough room for me, but it was compact.

I hope this helps, if you have specific questions, ask away.