Capt. Kate on the Summit.

Fishkillbill

Wow, for a bunch of professional vacation-takers you all are certainly a wound up, surly bunch. Don't like the video or care? Don't comment. I'm sure Capt. Kate is used to the attention as she's somewhat of a celebrity (no pun intended) and I'd be willing to bet many other people have taken photos and videos when they see her.

I would like to add that Captain Alex who alternates with Captain Kate on the Summit was very visible and personable. He joined the water volleyball game in addition to being at all functions .we attended. I have sailed with both of them and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

We sailed the Summit in 14 nights to NE/CA September 2015 where Capt Leo was Master the first 7 days and Capt Kate was the Master the second 7. I would suggest that Capts Leo, Alex and Kate are are all up there then!

Captain Kate I do believe as another poster suggested, sets the standard for passenger interaction - she consciously places herself in the most visible places on the ship and even outside the ship when the passengers are gathering for shore excursions. She was literally EVERYWHERE. We took many photos with her throughout our cruise and she remembered our daughter's name. I think of her as a Disney Princess, don't laugh, I do! - someone you're drawn to! She's amazingly warm and personable, and obviously brilliant, a remarkable role model for our youth. Also, she's an insanely talented photographer!! Follow her on Instagram, she really deserves some sort of award!

Wow, for a bunch of professional vacation-takers you all are certainly a wound up, surly bunch. Don't like the video or care? Don't comment. I'm sure Capt. Kate is used to the attention as she's somewhat of a celebrity (no pun intended) and I'd be willing to bet many other people have taken photos and videos when they see her.

Wish there was a "LIKE" button! I especially don't understand blasting a first time cruiser! I get a kick out of the simplest things and I am not a first timer. But I enjoy life and I get excited about everything.

We only live once - enjoy every second and don't worry if people think you are foolish for being happy!

Where's the 'like' button in this thing?!?

Couldn't agree more!!

OP: Hope you enjoyed the Summit; we loved it when we sailed pre-Captain Kate.

Edit: I posted this before even reaching the above comment... something about great minds thing alike sounds appropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jryan110

Sorry, this was our first cruise. We thought they would eat in some sort of employee dining area.

I love seeing the crew around the ship enjoying its amenities. I also love seeing them in port walking around getting time off. They always wave and say hi. Most recently on our med cruise on the reflection, we saw many employees enjoying the OV cafe, The martini bar, and the pool bar. One of the workers informed us they have contests and rewards. Sometimes the rewards are a whole day off or an evening off and during this time they are allowed to participate in certain activities and enjoy certain parts of the ship. I have never seen this on other cruise line and applaud Celebrity for providing their employees with such benefits.

Here is a shot of Captain Kate having lunch at the buffet, last week.

We sailed on the Summit with Capt. Kate last November, and she was friendly and outgoing throughout the cruise. Fishkillbill, we hope your first cruise is relaxing, pleasant, and positively memorable.

We sailed on the Summit with Capt. Kate last November, and she was friendly and outgoing throughout the cruise. Fishkillbill, we hope your first cruise is relaxing, pleasant, and positively memorable.

It was fantastic. Being from New York, we didn't think this level of service was possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Kate broke through the glass ceiling for Masters within Celebrity but is still the junior in the pecking order. Whether she earned her place by merit or for some other reason I have no idea nor am I qualified to make a comment. She has done great PR for the company by being a woman but is she any better than her male Greek counterparts. Probably not or she would be driving an S class ship.

Captain Taramas on the Solstice regularly eats in the buffet and interacts with his passengers. In the evening it is also not uncommon for senior officers to be seen eating in the buffet. Says more about the crew meals than anything else IMO

When I first read the title I cringed thinking 'oh no, don't tell me someone actually videos her eating her lunch'. But OP did no such thing. I also find it interesting when I see captains grabbing a tray and self serving themselves a meal in the OV just like the rest of us. Of course the OP might find this as surprising as any of us were the first time we experienced the same thing.

Some posters here should think about their reply before hitting send. If it's just plain mean then delete it and move on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just my opinion but I think it intrusive to think of even filming a captain having lunch in the buffet, let alone putting it onto YouTube. Luckily it's hard to see much, although I do feel sorry for the lady in the pink tee shirt!

When I recently cruised with Celebrity they constantly encouraged us to post our experiences on social media. I am certain Celebrity does not mind passengers taking pics of Captain Kate (one the very rare female captains of a cruise ship) and letting everyone know she eats the same food you eat on a cruise.

Since the pic of the lady in pink was the gentleman's wife, not a big deal.

Just my opinion but I think it intrusive to think of even filming a captain having lunch in the buffet, let alone putting it onto YouTube. Luckily it's hard to see much, although I do feel sorry for the lady in the pink tee shirt!

Agree. This was my first thought as well.

When I recently cruised with Celebrity they constantly encouraged us to post our experiences on social media. I am certain Celebrity does not mind passengers taking pics of Captain Kate (one the very rare female captains of a cruise ship) and letting everyone know she eats the same food you eat on a cruise.

Since the pic of the lady in pink was the gentleman's wife, not a big deal.

I suppose she might also visit the public bathroom as well. Would you like a video of her entering and departing? Come on. This is not what is encouraged by Celebrity's marketing dept.

I suppose she might also visit the public bathroom as well. Would you like a video of her entering and departing? Come on. This is not what is encouraged by Celebrity's marketing dept.

I didn't see any entrance to a public bathroom on her video. It's in the restaurant.

Folks snap pics all the time in the restaurants. A recent Celebrity cruise I recall passengers taking pics of the ice sculptures they had had in the buffet area. Celebrity will even do it for you and hang it in the photo gallery with other passengers in the background and charge you. :rolleyes:

I didn't see any entrance to a public bathroom on her video. It's in the restaurant.

Folks snap pics all the time in the restaurants. A recent Celebrity cruise I recall passengers taking pics of the ice sculptures they had had in the buffet area. Celebrity will even do it for you and hang it in the photo gallery with other passengers in the background and charge you. :rolleyes:

Sorry. First, you didn't seem to understand the analogy I was making. That's ok. However, there is a very big difference between taking a uninvited video of someone (which is similar to stalking) and taking a selfie in which you invited the other person and they consented or taking a picture of someone at a public event/meet & greet. And...to post it on YouTube? That takes the cake.

This is NOT the same as taking a picture of an ice sculpture. This is a person. Even though she is on staff, she still has the same rights as anyone. Have you no boundaries?

And I just love her dry humor "Confusious" daily announcements !

We were on the Summit the week of Nov. 5-12 with Captain Kate. She was very visible, and we had our picture taken with her as we left the ship for a shore excursion in St. Kitts. I, too, loved her daily Confucius sayings. She also had a daily riddle that she gave the answer to the following day...ie Why can't you take a picture of a pirate with a wooden leg? Because you can't take a picture with a wooden leg LOL! :)

Sorry. First, you didn't seem to understand the analogy I was making. That's ok. However, there is a very big difference between taking a uninvited video of someone (which is similar to stalking) and taking a selfie in which you invited the other person and they consented or taking a picture of someone at a public event/meet & greet. And...to post it on YouTube? That takes the cake.

This is NOT the same as taking a picture of an ice sculpture. This is a person. Even though she is on staff, she still has the same rights as anyone. Have you no boundaries?

I absolutely agree. It is not something I personally would waste my camera video on. It's like someone taking a video of someone falling or a drunk person without their knowledge or permission. If everyone felt it was acceptable to follow her and take videos, it could get a little hairy out there. It may start out as innocent but truthfully, what if people start videoing her going in to the bathroom, jogging at the gym...etc... She should get a break from the cameras at one point.